compression low on new engine

braden

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's on tdc and the valves are closed on number 1 then it's at the top of the compression stroke. This means the rotor in the dizzy will be pointing at the number one ignition lead.

But honestly we need some better pics to confirm you have it right. If you have no clue then stop playing with it because if you fuck this up there is a chance you can bend some valves and mark Pistons.

Check crank sprocket tdc mark against mark on crank pulley and outside plastic cover. Since you use a tin plate between the sprockets with the tdc mark on it it can be fitted back to front, it won't hurt anything (valves/Pistons) unless you've modified the engine internally.

Note that the picture above seems to be for a fwd engine, things do get swapped over the years but it shows you what you need to know. The cam timing mark will be on the other side of the head on an original Starion engine.

yeah checked the timing was allgood the 1st 2 valves are on rock at tdc.I think might have bent valves maybe but its the same compression on all cylinders like 40psi.and I should hope the rings were fitted right as I didn't build motor brought it like that