Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

54 minutes ago, tortron said:

What does a top switch/high gear switch do on a manual gearbox. 

Obs. it's activated when it's in top gear. Tell the ecu to change something like lean burn or timing? 

winds up the volume on the Wuhan War Whistle on trubro cars !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Datsun 1200 forum says from 76 

Transmission Controlled Vacuum Advance System (TCVAS) disables spark advance except in Top Gear. Since this "retarded" spark timing reduces performance, to prevent cold-engine driving problems this system is bypassed in cold temperatures. This means vacuum advance works normally at cold temperatures. On the highway (in top gear) full power is always available.

Assume it does a 90s version of that

Best to bin it, I obviously want full clutch kicking power in all gears

• Thanks 1

Evening Tech spammers.   Got a shit of a prick of an arse of a gearbox I can't separate from a motor. Any ideas? 

It's a 1az avensis with manual gearbox with slipping clutch.

Got everything apart I can see apart, 3 mounts off, crossmember is dangling but the gearbox is still stuck to the engine as if I hadn't touched it. Jacked up and down loads, had prybar on it, it'll seperate a mm or two but snap back into pos like it's bolted.   

Am I being a dumbarse? First toyota fwd box I've done. 

Well if it's not a pull clutch it sounds like it's stuck on a dowel, or friction plate stuck on the spline.. or maybe pilot bearing has input shaft jammed in there..

Once you are happy there is no hidden bolts I'd gently use the clutch pedal to see if that spreads things apart.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m a total noob with efi and conversions.

need info on what I should be doing for this efi fuel system for the 4age swap .

I only have a low pressure line and pump on the car at the moment.

im guessing that line can be used for the return line.

do I need to use a surge tank or would it be fine directly from the tank with an inline efi pump?

22 hours ago, MightyJoe said:

Evening Tech spammers.   Got a shit of a prick of an arse of a gearbox I can't separate from a motor. Any ideas? 

It's a 1az avensis with manual gearbox with slipping clutch.

Got everything apart I can see apart, 3 mounts off, crossmember is dangling but the gearbox is still stuck to the engine as if I hadn't touched it. Jacked up and down loads, had prybar on it, it'll seperate a mm or two but snap back into pos like it's bolted.   

Am I being a dumbarse? First toyota fwd box I've done. 

I had the same problem with that fucking cunting cocksucking 4x4 primera I had.

The next day another set of eyes found a bolt we'd missed.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Surge tanks arent a "must" but having the engine fall on its face when you're below a 1/4 tank gets old. 

Agreed. The early TVR Tasmin had no surge tank and the pickup for the pump was at the front of the tanks. It was a real pain in the arse having all the fuel surge to the back of the tank, away from the pickups and lose all power when accelerating.