h4nd's 1974 Daihatsu Fellow Max 360

h4nd

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Good to hear it's alive again and definitely shows the importance of port chamfering.

I'm gonna double check my RD400 cylinders now since I'll be running max overbore and brand new everything else.

Did you go oversize at all? What kind of piston to cylinder clearance does it have? 

Yeah thanks for that Ky. I would'a been up for a big wait from Japan again, if the blardy things are even available.

Kicker: Not sure about the piston clearances, but it's all as stock as a Maggi soup sachet, give or take an oversize (1mm from memory).

Jennings book is excellent. I've been through a couple of books lately, and mostly they're generalised waffle.

Jennings is however a recipe: for power X, you need

-revs Y,

-compression Z,

-port timing A, etc etc

http://www.amrca.com/tech/tuners.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

As promised at Nats, here's all the footage I got of Frontes on track at OS track day #2 back in 2007. No music, for max hilarious engine noises. =)

https://picasaweb.google.com/oldschool.co.nz/Misc#6126756804308687554

If you're wondering why the footage sucks, back then I was using a hand-me-down digital camera with 320*240 maximum video quality and the requirement to select your zoom level and recording time beforehand - it could do five, ten or fifteen seconds.  :doubt:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi, Good to see some one interested in the 360s. I have a couple but only one reg and wof . They go ok, mine starts first compression even if it has been sitting for 6 months, it runs good at about 90 km on the motorway. Any thing over that and the steering and brakes are not that good. I have looked at the steering geometry and all the angles are just not make to go much faster. Steering is always easy but it has a tendency at speed to sort of dive. I have changed shocks had them serviced but still no change. The engine in mine is now std but the engine had been replaced because the previous owner had the engine ported and polished and he said it really went but after 6 months he went for a trip and the edge of the piston melted away wrecking that engine.

Arthur

Hi, Good to see some one interested in the 360s...

Hi Arthur. A friendly mod moved your comment over here into the discussion section.

Do you have a Daihatsu 360, or something different? There's a couple of guys on here with Frontes, and at least one honda N360. I'm not sure what the displacement of the Trabant is, but his project is worth finding and reading too.

Update: I see reading your post in Vlad's thread you have a Daihatsu. You can find parts for your  polished engine here:

http://translate.google.co.nz/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.irex-jp.com/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Direx%2B.jp%26safe%3Doff%26es_sm%3D119%26biw%3D1521%26bih%3D1058

I see you have made a comment in a thread about having a car / parts to move on, I suggest you put an ad in the sections here: (The posts at the top will tell you how.)

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/forum/7-cars-for-sale-wanted/

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/forum/8-parts-for-sale-wanted/

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have been getting a 1972 Daihatsu 360X back on the road over the last 4 years.

Starting with a full brake rebuild, then fuel tank repair and seal, radiator flush and restore, new battery, plugs, and coil. It looked hopeful little Max would run.

A startup produced hopeful signs, but the previous owner had played with the oil injection system - disabling ti and getting it to run on pre-mix. Why!??

After a trip to a regular mechanic (ignoring the engine issues) it took several more months to get it roadworthy and Club registered. But I did!

Only to discover the engine a non-goer...

A further stint of over 12 months with a trusted mechanic and 2-stroke expert pulled the engine completely down and discovered blanking plates inside to stop the injection system.

Oh dear. Fortunately, I had bought a heap of spares when I got Max, and had spare pistons, etc. So a rebore and engine rebuild got the mighty 360cc engine putt-putting again.

It still has a bit of an idle issue... but runs well, and once I re-attuned myself to the start and driving techniques suitable for it, I find it is a great around town runabout.

It has created a lot of local interest here and it is really pleasing to have a Daihatsu 360X that really does 'go'!

Now I am working to restore the paintwork and get Max prettied up, though keeping everything original.

Love to chat to any NZ people with this kind of car? (Visiting NZ in September)

[ Catch me chatting about classics - including Max - on 'Car Talk' on MAIN FM radio, Saturdays 8-10am (Aussie Eastern time) : it streams from mainfm.net ]

I have some parts available I may be able to help with...

Any Daihatsu 360s running in NZ??

IMG_0516.jpg

Max - as he is today !!!  (above)

Mmax_Dec2016 copy.jpg

P1010230 copy.JPG

max1.jpg

max2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...