TIG welder - 20amp plug, what have you guys done

nick_m

Bought a Mitech 200p AC tig and it has a 20amp plug on the end.

I am hoping to get someone smarter than me to come check out the garage wiring, I have 20amp circuit breakers but im not convinced something dodgey isnt going on. But assuming the garage wiring is up to it, can I swap the 20amp plug for A 15amp one or do I need to get a 20 amp power point wired into the garage to run the TIG off of?

yeah 100% its a 20A plug, its on the plug itself.

I would like to get a dedicated powerpoint for it, but as you can imagine this is the worst time of year to try get anyone around to do that. Was hoping to get it up and running over the holidays as I had a job I wanted to do with it.

Will contact a couple of sparky mates and see if I can get them to sort it out. Otherwise I might just trim it for now till I can get a dedicated supply sorted.....

The highest I ever had my little DC TIG was 120amps and the thickness of Ali im welding I doubt ill get higher than 90-amps so likely be alright BUT...

Still keen to hear what other people reckon though

You can change the outlet to the correct size probably 30 bucks at a whole saler don't trim the pins . The outlets in your garage are rated 10 amps . If you have a 20 amp breaker ,it's more than likely the wiring is 2.5mm which is good for 27amps . You could check if there is one PowerPoint on its own circuit and up rate the breaker to 25amps as well as changing the point . Probably 50 bucks all up for bits .a home owner is allowed to repair a Hot point

I have a 200A acdc mitech tig too.

Haven't had much use so will be good to know how it goes with someone experienced using it.

I had a sparky mate round to sort the garage wiring. I will have to go look what he did.

I think we have 15amp sockets with an adaptor that Sentra made to suit The 20amp plug.

I won't be running it up high so should be sweet.

Last part wasn't helpful at all haha more interested in how you find it.

Personally i just trim them down, its just over 1mm from memory

The earth pin doesnt carry any of the current,

just make sure the outlet you are using is upto it, and not t'd into the lighting circuit.

Years ago we tested my 180amp ac/dc with a clamp meter, it draws about 13amps full noise, it is an inverter type thou,

From wikipedia

The Earth Wire

This wire is there to protect you. Many appliances have metal cases e.g. kettles, toasters, dishwashers and washing machines. If the live wire becomes loose inside the appliance and it then touches the case, then the whole case becomes live. If you were then to touch it, a current would flow through you to the earth. The earth wire is just a wire connected to the case of the appliance. It goes down the flex into the socket. Inside the wiring of your house it travels down to the earth through the earthing system (not necessarily plumbing). If the live wire were to touch the case a huge current would flow through the earth wire. This would probably blow the fuse and break the circuit (see next section) but even if the fuse doesn't blow the current would still prefer to flow through a wire with low resistance than a high resistance human body.

So basically the earth wire prevents you from touching the case of a potentially faulty appliance. The earth wire is set up so it touches the case of an appliance. This means that if a wire comes loose and happens to touch the case, the earth wire redirects the current from the case of the appliance, through itself and down to the earth. This lay out is designed so that if the earth wire has to do its job, the huge current will blow the fuse and cut off the circuit. This way if you touch a faulty appliance, you don't get electrocuted!

The earth pin on a plug is longer than the live and neutral pins. This ensures that the earth pin always connects with the socket first.

On welders I've had a go but am useless , is it just a matter of practice practice or would a course be worthwhile

A course would be handy. However, if you watch enough you-tube videos and take the time to practice not needed. Just talking about light diy type welding anyway. If there were night courses for welding locally to me i'd probably do them as it gives you a quick step up on the learning process. Wasn't any though so I just read online, watched videos etc. Then I just played with the welder settings to see what affect each had on the weld.

Compared to mig and arc welding when I gave tig a quite try I found it by far the hardest to get used to.

I've got one of those too - good machines and I'm used to a mack daddy Lincoln Electric ACDC tig. Can't fault it so far.

I ran a new 4mm TPS from a new 32amp breaker to a new sub board in the garage and ran a dedicated 20amp circuit and breaker. The previous owners who set up the garage wiring had the whole lot running from a light circuit above in the front room with 1mm cable and no earth - dodgy

i made a box with a 3pin 10amp male plug, 10amp breaker and 20amp 3pin outlet so i dont have to ever worry about it when doing site work and the usual shit you get dragged into

was considering making a few but cbf with trademe loosers/pm if your an aqaintence or kys mum

I got my sparky mate round and part of my garage is wired in 2.5mm and the light circuit is smaller, so will replace the circuit board and run a seperate 20amp circuit for my welder. Its only an extra few hundred dollars for piece of mind and no plug trimming/voiding warranty

Will report back about the welder Chris, its probably going to be better than the fucked old chinese one I use at work!

When I got my new welder it had a 15 amp plug. I added a circuit with a 16 amp circuit breaker feeding it and had nice beefy wiring coming from that.

Then I swapped welder in before I even used it upgraded to a better one. Funny/ odd thing was that it came with a normal plug. Weird.

Anyway- I ran the welder hard joining some 10mm thick alloy plate and it took about 3 mins before the circuit breaker in the 4 way socket board in my shed finally clicked off. I just by passed it and finished.

For normal light welding it's not clicked off at all.