Will my 4.8kg flywheel explode?

Ridal

I'm about to install a standard K series flywheel which has been cut down to 4.8kg. Is there a reasonable risk of it shattering? I'll be using an organic clutch so it shouldn't get too hot but it's pretty thin compared to a standard item which weighs around 10kg.

How radical is your motor? A very light flywheel is one of those things that's as much a pain in the bum as it is performance so unless you have a motor that needs to rev fast then just ditch it.

The side effects it causes, never mind the shit could go wrong with an exploding flywheel, is not worth it for me.

Also if it is factory then it's most likely cast and a lightened cast flywheel is considered dangerous.

It is cast. The engine is built for performance and is I've got a more aggressive cam and side drafts to install in the near future so I think it will benefit from the lighter flywheel. The cam grind is purely for peak power so drivability is not high on the list.

xUd9H.jpg

they(whoever that is) say that lightened cast flywheels explode due to heat from lame clutches and ghetto racing should be done with lightened c.i flywheel, huge cover pressure & puck type plate to transfer heat

to tyres.

Huh???

However if Ridal is questioning if flywheels actually do disintegrate - then I can tell you it's a fact.

At the end of the day in answer to your question then yes you can run a lightened flywheel and yes it "may" explode..

There are pro's and con's as indicated above - but it's at a risk if it's not a proper light flywheel and only you can determine if you are willing to take that risk.