Oil Pressure / Oil Temp gauge?

Seedy Al

I may have asked this before, but on my VW, there are pretty much no gauges, and so far that has casued me a problem with over heating my engine more than once.

So what I'm looking for is a combination of an Oil Pressure gauge, and Oil Temp gauge.

Does anyone know if I can use a water temp gauge as an Oil temp gauge?

If so, this would make my life alot easier, as it seems easy to find a combination water temp, oil pressure gauge, than a oil temp specific gauge?

Any help would be awesome

I have just got the VW running with the second hand motor, and want it going for as long as possible

hearts

Allan

I assume you mean an electric gauge rather than a bulb style gauge..

I would say as long as the sender is calibrated correctly then no reason why not.

edit - and of course providing the gauge goes high enough - oil temp gauges can go as high as 140 but most water temp only goes as high as 120

Hmm bit of topic, but I thought that for every pond of pressure you put into a radiator you raised the boiling point by 3degrees. which meant your average 13psi rad cap meant your radiator water was 139 degrees?

What kind of oil temp gauge do you want. Surely you can get them from super cheap or something. My old 808 had seperate oil temp oil pressure and water temp gauges and I got those from reppco back in the day.

Used a water temp gauge as a oil temp before. Works fine.Guess you just need to make sure it goes high enough. I cant even remember how hot my oil used to get but it never went off the gauge or anything. But i do remember being surprised how hot it DIDNT get. I think placement of the sender would be important too. I had mine in the side of the head.

Hmm bit of topic, but I thought that for every pond of pressure you put into a radiator you raised the boiling point by 3degrees. which meant your average 13psi rad cap meant your radiator water was 139 degrees?

Yes it raises the boiling point but it does not raise the temp in the rad.

2DC3.jpg

I think this might be for a plane though, so not sure if it works on 12v

I hate the style, but its one of the few combo gauges I have found.

The reason I want to use a combo gauge is that there is already a none working temp gauge in my cluster that some one has installed at some point, but has no sender unit?? SO figured I would get a cmobo gauge so I know what the pressure is doing also, and dont want multiple gauges hanging out all over the place, its not a race car after all

and certianly want electric, as running 19 foot of oil line to the front of the car is not something I'm keen on doing, even though I found a guage I actallu liked that did this, that was mechanical. It stated the fluid temp could be used in oil or water.

Should the oil temp gauge be mounted in the sump as a general rule??

this would be a problem if it is.