Making my own flywheel- from mild steel?.....

yoeddynz

Would mild steel be suitable enough to make a flywheel from? I realise it will be strong enough but my fear is that the friction area would not hold up. I figure cast iron is used not just for ease of manufacturing odd shaped flywheels but Also because it has good resistance to wear.

Other option would be alloy with a set in peice of steel for the clutch. But this would cost heaps- for the alloy alone.

The reason i was planning to make a flywheel was because the V6 item is 20mm smaller than the rx7 one and sarter wouldnt line up. I have thought of another thing I could do. I could machine up a spacer ring to fit between v6 flywheel and rx7 ring gear. ?

I have one of those alloy flywheels with clutch plate face bolted on with countersunk bolts, It looks good and has a workshop name punched in the back of it etc

I just didnt like the fact that for a 13b flywheel it could be spun up to around 10000rpm and the only thing holding it on was 6 bolts through some alloy so stayed with a steel one.

There are two different diameters of rotary pp around 215mm and 225mm I think what size is the v6 one

Should be fun in the viva have to watch it in the wet

What about bolting a rotary auto flexy plate behind the flywheel ? They arent very thick and hold the ring gear for the starter. No idea if the shape will allow you to do this. You could have an outer ring cut from it or anything of the same size so it fits your flywheel and just weld it to the existing ring gear.

Bloody good idea!!!! I think 12a and 13b auto flex plates would be the same and plenty of 13b auto stuff out there cheap eh.

The Mazda rotary ring gear measured up at 300mm OD and weighs in at around 15kg standard!

The Mazda V6 item is 280mm OD and weighs in at 8kg. I was reluctant to have to add to that.

Once I pull the engine out from the eunos I can have a look at how I could attach a rotary flex plate to it.

Anyone got a rotary flex plate kicking about?....

A million years ago, I got a custom steel rotang flywheel made.

When I popped the 13b in my rx3, I bought an import engine to replace it. It had been in front of an Auto. The Manual flywheel is only held on by the one Big arse nut. But my new engine had like a counterweight, with a 6 bolt flange for the flexplate. was all set to swap my old f/wheel onto the new donk. BUt as the rear seal journal was on the flywheel, Dad insisted I spoke to an expert, to get the dilly on what was what.

The dude from rotary research, told me that my old flywheels inbuilt counterweight probably wouldn't be right for my new engine. So I bought a pretty hefty billet of steel, and the old boy took some measurements off the old flywheel. Then he tuned up a new one, and refitted the old ring gear.

It worked a treat. Although it was a little on the light side. I never quite got the hang of launching it. It was either a bunny hop, or a peel out.

The old boy still has the lathe in question. At a pinch he might be able to make something up.