Lada Niva Radiator Idea

kiwigunner

Hello

Long time reader, first time poster

I just purchased a $139 1993 Lada Niva 1.7i 58kw model, De-reg but that will change at some stage. The engine works real well but the clutch is buggered.

Anyway I am going to do an engine swap to the 4g93T engine and adapt it to the lada box (hopefully). The measurements say the radiator wont fit up front and needs to be larger then the stock one.

Can you mount a radiator ontop of the bonnet or the roof? I remember seeing 4x4 cars in Africa with their radiators on the roof. unsure why. I think it maybe not be legal so may have to use 2 smaller ones.. any ideas?

thanks

Aaron

thats going to be a very involved and expensive conversion unless you know some secret info that it just happens that mitsubishis fwd engine has almost of the same mounting points as ladas rwd one..... otherwise why do you want to spend so much time and effort on a $139 dereg niva?

not dissing nivas, cheap cheerful 4x4 fun is great but there would be a number of easier powerups if it's required.

The radiator would be one of the lesser troubles, if it came to it there are plenty of alloy radiator options in smaller sizes that still cool enough. you may even find the niva one is actually adequate anyway.

They put them on the roof because when they are driving through long dry grass the seeds go into the radiator and block it.

In NZ you aren't allowed to have anything on the front of the car that can harm a pedestrian. eg, you have to have a bonnet on because if not and you hit a pedestrian they are going to get a face full of sharp engine. I imagine it would be the same as having a radiator in the bonnet.

replace the clutch and then see if you can be bothered with all the rest?

plenty of info out there on them in english and much more if you google translate. the engines respond well to light fettling esp carberetion and ingition and can handle light boost ok as they are faily low compression already.

the 'injection' is a big single one where the carb main jet usually is, swap it for a weber and keep the leccy ignition?

my uncle converted one to a Toyota diesel engine not sure which one 2y? , maybe a 1.8 or something. Those things are neat with low range and diff lock... prob just bellhousing adapter and leave all its driveline intact as they go ANYWHERE, few times ive actually said let me out before going over a bluff or round some ridge, no mud swamp tyres or nothing, just fun, as.

i would suggest first and foremost looking at your steering before you start any swap with the exception of a fiat one or something that would stay in a similar spot and use your current driveline.

re. the radiator im looking at fitting a custom one into the grill cavity

Thanks guys, I am sorry about asking the stupid question.

I am trying to find a tow company which will not rip me off completely to tow the car from swanson to west harbour, its like 5km max.

The interior is in very good condition, the exterior is ok, paint is a little rought, thinking a nice camo style paint job.

Thinking for the engine, use the TD-04 turbo from the GSR and run a 4agze intercooler, run a lew low boost setup 4-5psi and it should last na fair while. Maybe even a webber 32/36 conversion along the way somewhere. Keep it simple ands realiable.