brdflu REALLY shouldn't have bought kyteler's KHR30

kyteler

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good progress there! How is the penetration on the welds? Some just look a bit cold/sitting on the top. I'm not even a good welder lol, but yeah, look similar to some i've done that didn't really penetrate enough as needed more heat/less wire. Individual results will vary of course. I really need some of your motivation to rub off on me and make me fix my rust! Anyway, not critising, just wondering.

Some are a bit doghouse, hardly a master welder here. Hahah. Had to adjust shit for a while to get it right, then again on different areas and with different gases. For the most part it's pretty good, definitely better than the rust, bog and tar that was there.

Oh for sure, shes a hard thing to master. I'm still far far from it. Even changing angles will piss with the weld out come. Just too much to take it / pile it on haha. Yeah the previous work you've had to fix, was 'interesting'. You have to wonder what some people are thinking.

I was being super pansy on the RHS due to the loom still being in there. It's all good though, want it sorted so I can get that engine in there and take it for a fang down to the WoF shop then daily it for a month or so to make sure it's gravy for the Nats mission.

I got a pieces welded in just now for the strut tower, looked across at the other one and noticed some rott there too, fuuuuuuu.

Still, I'm happy with my piece for the tower, hand crafted with a claw hammer and a flathead screwdriver. Awwwwwwww yeah.

Once I've got this other side sorted, I'll get onto the pipework holes that the terrible numpties butchered, then the bay will get a very rangi quick dust of rattlecan red and onto the motagonal device.

Nah, the other loom that was in the facelift has been mongreled and also doesn't have the proper set of connectors to go with the optical dizzy, turbo without optical dizzy is a waste of time/too much fuckering about. Swapping the main section of loom is likely the only swapping option unless I can find some diagrams to see whether any wires can be dropped or bypassed.

Gods, this is why I hate conversions/cleaning up other peoples' car-related messes.

So what you essentially have is a PFL L20ET, with PFL engine and cabin/dash looms, right? And the junk that's currently in the coupe is all facelift, but L20E gubbins? Seems the logical solution is to mash all the PFL gear in and hope like heck the FL dash cluster still operates....

in fact, I have a FL L20ET dash cluster floating about if that's of any use to you - was hanging on to it in the hope I could somehow use it to re-calibrate the dash cluster in squid (the tacho is sticky) but have since decided the best option is to source another FJ20ET cluster from Japan with close-ish kms.

Also;

SEDANS R KOOL TOO

p1.jpg

Good progress there! How is the penetration on the welds? Some just look a bit cold/sitting on the top. I'm not even a good welder lol, but yeah, look similar to some i've done that didn't really penetrate enough as needed more heat/less wire. Individual results will vary of course. I really need some of your motivation to rub off on me and make me fix my rust! Anyway, not critising, just wondering.

I was just going to be a cunt and comment the same thing, welds look like they are protruding out a lot? Also hardly an expert on the matter but may need to turn the welder up slightly and increase gas shielding flow?

Of course as long as its fusing the metal together then get the grinder out and just go for gold.

BTW - offers still there if you wanted to borrow my CO2 setup. I reckon the bottle is getting close to needing a refill though. Anyway I'm due to leave for a few days in about 1.5 hours but missus will be home if you wanted to borrow.

It wasn't without it's dramas. Got "everything" wired in, wound it over and it stumbled into life, stumble being the operative word. It sounded like a vacuum leak and/or some kind of electrical gremlin. I decided it was the AFM, the plug seemed loose but didn't appear to go on any tighter so I gave up on that avenue and played a 2 hour game of compare the looms and chase the wires, to no avail. Then my brother mentioned the AFM plug again and had a proper look at why it wasn't plugging, turned it over and other than the exhaust noise and the stumble it had in the sedan as well, it was running sweet as a nut!. So stoked.

I didn't get around to getting all the exhaust finished, ran out of gas, I've been using soda stream bottles, they do the trick just the valve I think might leak a little. Regardless, one more bottle ($12) should have me finished on the exhaust.

Windscreen is gummed in now too, held in with tape at the moment so it doesn't fall/slip down.

SO! Interior and trim/random pieces.

I'm going to need that grille ASAP Edwardo, the FL one is so yuck.

Chur, just happy the setbacks have not been too steep. That said, I guess the warrant man might see a million more things that I have overlooked. Hell, I haven't even checked that the electrics (lamps, etc.) yet.

Actually. I'm going to do that nao, whilst my sweet video uploads. loffles.

No park lamps, no indicators, outside brake lamps not on but brake works on the second filament so, not sure what is going on there as the internals are doing both. Meh. Shouldn't be too hard, thinking the parks and indicators are dash plug related as the dash lights are not coming on either. I should really connect all that up properly instead of haggardly in an effort to find out whether it was the reason for the lack of smooth running earlier in the day.