Td04 questions

NVIOUS

Oil feed comes from the back of the filter housing the the top of the turbo, water cooling comes from the thermostat housing to the port closest to the rocker cover and drains back to the water pipe that comes out of the back of the water pump. There is another oil feed on the back corner of the cylinder head which I think all other Mitsubishis use. You won't hurt it with no water cooling.

• 2 years later...

Oh this thread looked so promising on the surface :(

I was given a TD-04l of which I know nothing about because my middle name is Snow.

I know little about anything turbo as I've never had one nor had much interest in them, why spin a turbine when you can spin an engine?

Well because spinning a turbine is betterer and I'm a stupid because BOOST.

So I have the lingo down, now it's time for some actual knowledge.

Seems like this is a pretty small turbo for a 1800 or something similar but looking on the great Google it says they were used EVO 1-3.

But...... I may need a photo of the stamps on the housings so that if there be any aficionados out there they could perhaps slather me in their buttery knowledge.

WTF is this going on?
Well I want to put a turbo on my FE-DOHC (2.0) because I'm old and lazy and need a turbo to make the drive to/from work up and down hills a much easier proposition.

And since I have a FREE TURBO I might as well use that right?

A td04 will have near diesel like torque on a 2 litre twin cam but will be all out of puff before 5000 rpm. Might be ok on a SOHC though..

There will be a dowel on the turbine housing which you will have to remove if you need to clock the turbo core to get the drain pointing to the 6 o'clock position..

If reasonable pull to 7000 rpm is what you want and you are making a custom manifold find yourself a healthy tdo5hr from an evo 4 onwards and build a decent twin scroll manifold.

• Like 2

I'll nab some photos tonight.

I'd love some diesel like torque but would also be nice to do redline pulls when the hooligan in me wants too :)

The deciding factor may be BECAUSE FREE.
In saying that.
Anyone have a td04 - td05 swap hankering?

td04s came on some volvos too. there are a few variants tdo4, tdoh tdo4l tdo4hl  and yeah there are different exhaust housing bolt patterns for different manufacturers

anecdotally the later/bigger ones with the letter on the end are good upgrade turbos for smaller motors up to around 1.6L  looking to put out up to ~200hp atw

• Like 1

If reasonable pull to 7000 rpm is what you want and you are making a custom manifold find yourself a healthy tdo5hr from an evo 4 onwards and build a decent twin scroll manifold.

^ This. (although I dont rev to 7k)

My sohc 4G63 has a td05hr on it. It pulls great from down low in the rev range. Was a bit of a pain in the arse to get it to fit. The wastegate actuator is mounted upsidedown and is on a bracket that is welded to the downpipe. 

• Like 1