Dane's Lush Pontiac of Rust

Alistair

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just gonna edit daily posts so I'm not a whore at the top of the page all the time... Dont really eat or stop much when working so its good to have a break, take some pics and sit down

Wish it had been the US pontiac motor instead of the chev!

LH side rear seam between bootlid and back window had rust in it so took the lead out and welded it. Front bottom window corners were also leaded up but I melted them out with gasplant then replaced the whole section with all welded steel anyway. Tried not to remove much of the lead seam at the top front of the roof and top back, the top back bit got ground out a little when I sanded it but mostly still there.

Would it be any use to you if I wrote a post showing the tools I use for panelwork? I haven't got alot of gear and it's all cheap or old but it's enough to do 90% of what a big workshop can do.

Panel work isn't hard, just takes time and familiarity with the metal and tools

• 2 months later...

Right I haven't touched this car for 3 whole months but I'm gonna get back into it soon.

With the aqusition of the Chev, I'm starting to think along the lines of just matte blacking it (on straight panels of course) and using it as a proper cruiser while I spend $$$ on the Chev instead.

Basing these thoughts on:

How difficult it is finding parts like the bumper and guard.

The eventual value of the car as opposed to the Chev.

The fact I CBF shelling out for 2 mint interiors.

The lack of originality now I've removed the side trims and done so many repairs

The fact that I wanna be able to use and abuse it without fretting about bird shit and scratches.

The fact that it doesnt have the original tags and has previous crash damage

Seeing as the Chev has 2 doors its not really suited for piling all my mates into and this car would make a perfect boozer. Just throw the 406 in, some wheels, cheap paint I can do at home without the hassle of hiring a booth and maybe bag it in future as I'm not worried about originality.

Of course if I change my mind at a later date it's not a huge deal to repaint a car now that the hard work is done.

Welcome to dissuade me?