Hemi's fuel converting machine

Hemi

right i wrote a novel here but our awesome internet failed and my awesome computer forgot what i wrote .

so im building a jet engine

first i read in the e-nets (i wanted to do this about 7 years ago but just did not have the skills and tools)

i then set about designing a combustor and flame tube

this is the flame tube i have drilled the hole based on a generic model found on the net

2012-04-11_16-11-18_709.jpg

this is the combustor outer

2012-04-11_16-13-46_129.jpg

the plate used to bolt and seal the flametube-combustor is 4mm plate laser cut out ( tbh i was happy to pay the $$ i was charged as they were EXACTLY the size and looked real good

2012-04-11_16-11-34_970.jpg

i then drilled and tapped holes for the sparkplug and fuel delivery, dont worry if they are in the wrong place i have more the enough plugs to move and replug if i have to

2012-04-11_16-11-49_385.jpg

a view down the flametube the fueline is squished damn near flat but the outer lip is slightly higher then the ineer and bent inwards so will hopefully spread the fuel enough without creating hotspots (there are also two 1mm holes about 60 deg apart faceing the plug about 4mm before the lip , but i get the feeling this is going to overfuel the setup and def cause hotspots)

2012-04-11_16-14-05_118.jpg

this is the flametube in the combustor assembly , yes i know there is bugger all clearance BUT tbh heat soak is not a worry and only 20% of the total air introduced is needed down the end so if i postion the inlet right it wont matter .

2012-04-11_16-16-55_221.jpg

this is a closeup of the spark ignition system i have been working on .

2012-04-11_16-20-46_0.jpg

with everything hooked up to test fire the spark system

ydXxTXL2fac

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By fuck I hope you are going to power a velo bike with this..

Shit son KK i realy wish i could but the thrust produced is going to be miles short of being able to push gaz and lenny along let alone a bike .

the only solution is a massive turbo .. or turbine powah ..

tbh i just want top make a working jet engine and then a afterburner . purely so i can forget to ignite it and cloud entire nieghbourhooods in kero fog

So you're gonna run it on kero? I know a guy who ran one off LPG. Shit hits vtec when you turn cylinder upside down so its squirting the liquid LPG in

Also, I have an old saw blade/ wrapped in tape just like yours. Made sweet impromtu paua knife too. Lols that the police considered it a dangerous weapon in the boot of my surf.

Atm im going to run on lpg .i am planning to have it run on kero once I sort out the niggles,hence the reason the fuel injector is offset .

Yeah ive heard of bottles freezing from the fuel used ,leads to massive pressure drops though

Zip yeah ive been wanting to do it for ages but was just worried i didnt have the knowledge and it woul dbe expensive . so far its cost me $60 all up and $40 of the was the plates.

have also read that site pretty neat stuff , its where i got quite a few idea for the design from , its freaking neat how he made the turbine out of cut up tube etc. prob a bit too much for me but still neat stuff!

currently looking for a leaf blower with a 2" outlet so i can bench test the combustor before i buy a flange for the end and close it down etc.

for fuel side of things im going to use a 9kg lpg bottle with a oxyacetylene gas regulator (the thread matches the inner thread on a gas bottle) and a ball valve after that just incase i need to kill fuel quickly. then ill use simple rubber fuel hose from that to the bundy tube you see in the pics , heatsoak should be too bad and ill only be running the gas at 25-60psi .

then i can fire it up!!! 8)

lol danger yeah man out of the pile of scrapers i have its the most useful and has lasted 6 years so far

• 2 weeks later...

right so after nats broke my bank acc i got paid this week and ordered in one of these babies

2012-04-20_14-59-54_413.jpg

2012-04-20_14-59-49_868.jpg

its an acetylene regulator, this will match up to the inner thread on the lpg bottle . pretty sweet score for $40 , the gauge only reads to 40ish psi but im sure i can guesstimate the other 20psi 8)

i also decided on the position of the inlet . i have decided to put it halfway down the flametube length and mildly off center to hopefully get a swirl running around the combustor wall, again not sure if this will work or not yet as i havent fired it up but hey im sure i can block it off if it doesnt work

2012-04-20_14-58-54_160.jpg

2012-04-20_14-59-13_555.jpg

i also toyed with how i am going to seal the endplates i read on the net that one of the guys laid some silicone on one side, let it form a skin then put a light film of oil on it to shape the gasket he then put the endplate on and let it set and apprently it work real well. I though fuck it if it doesnt work i can alsways make a proper one so tried his method (d/w its high temp silicone. )

2012-04-20_15-07-49_658.jpg

and this is a pic with all the bits i have atm . this should be enough to start the engine up (minus the turbo that will come later)

im hopeing to sort out the flame position before closing up the end of the combustor down into a flange for the turbine inlet .

2012-04-20_15-35-22_750.jpg

if im not too hungover tomorrow i will mash it all together don a coupld kilos of leather and start it up with a vacuum cleaner on blow as the air pump . wish me luck!

• Like 1

well the plan of getting up early on saturday failed miserably after many tiger jugs and bowling .

It was quiet at work today so decided to finish making the fuel control side of things . here is the acetylene fitting and a nipple easyflowed on (yeah i see the bubble , somone had used the wirebrush to clean grease covered thing and even after grinding the brass back it still must have been contaminated) it is however sealed so that good (if you are wondering why i easyflowed it on , the acetylene end is left hand thread and buying brass fittings is way to expensive when i did this for free).

2012-04-24_10-16-00_757.jpg

this is the setup all ready to go . will be using high pressure rubber hose atm if that causes issues i will move into nylon tubing.

2012-04-24_10-21-22_23.jpg

and this is just the flared end of the injector, i got distracted while making the flare and went a bit too far so i ground it back so i could actually get hose over it.

2012-04-24_10-50-25_679.jpg

for the sake of getting this running i might just grab a flange for the tiny turbo i have and start with that then just modify the cone to suit when i get a larger item .

I always hoped to be able to extend the compressor and exhaust turbine shaft so you could run the combustion chamber in the middle and have a nice streamlined turbo jet :D

I lookes for turbos last year but the problem with finding cheap turbos is that they are all fucked and the turbo in a turbo jet will run at a WAY higher RPM than it would in a normal operation so you can't really use a fucked turbo :(

Still on my to do list!

yeah as a general rule i think the smaller turbos see in excess of 80000 rpm

the larger ones cap at about 70k i think it was .

I too was looking at making one strealined but the hassle of building something like that would take ages and mega $$ and by then you may aswell have bought an axial jet engine :lol: .

so far cost is:

endplates $40

regulator $40

ignition driver = $12 (x2 transistors and x1 relay)

everything else ..free ZERO NADA NOTHING!

i will have to invest in a gas bottle at some point so that will be about $80 incl full tank of gas

• 2 weeks later...

Progress! I have been doing shit slowly bit by bit this started with re-doing the awful mess that was the ignition driver, and by that i meant hiding it in a box so no one could see my shithouse electrical skills :lol:

2012-04-27_16-01-14_368.jpg

2012-04-27_16-02-03_547.jpg

this pic is a little dated , there is a section cut out for the switch now and the power wires run differently , but you get the jist!

2012-04-27_16-02-08_457.jpg

the ignition 'module' inside a nice looking box

2012-04-27_16-10-11_182.jpg

2012-05-03_14-06-15_504.jpg

2012-05-03_14-06-23_124.jpg

and then DADA! . i hooked everything up cross my fingers and this is what i got

this is about 1/2 the regulators delivery capacity

2012-05-05_12-43-39_476.jpg

and backed off so you can see the flametube holding the flame

2012-05-05_12-43-15_906.jpg

now im stoked its running and what the camera does not show is this sweet vortex in the flametube, however all that orange flame mean the combustion is rubbish . which means i need to work on a better injector and also im going to cut off the air bypass between the flametube and combustor wall this should force all the air into the tube and help combustion. the endplates got to about 190 deg c and the end of the unit was at about 113 deg c so im happy about the temp drop so far .

oh and a mud video of the frankenstein like setup i had to run it 8)

6qkV-lq0lM4

LMAO just noticed the NO NAKED FLAMES sign next to the test rig :lol:

video says yes!.

tbh that is what i was most stoked about because the design of the ignition driver is one where im not suire how happy it is about running for large amounts of time .