Hemi's fuel converting machine

Hemi

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a blog where a guy in the states made one of these, I'm pretty sure he used a car power steering pump for the oil on his, with some form of pressure reg and a trans cooler with a couple of small fans to cool the oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Had some spare time during the week so i decided that i would have a play with making some new injectors . i wanted to makes one that would try and mix the fuel and air alot better .

While i was sitting there i thought why not use a system like a car or other engine where the fuel is mixed before it hits the combustion chamber (flametube).

so i drilled tapped and made an injector (out of copper bundy WOO) and put it aside, i also though about the failure of my center injector (it failed to ignite the engine at all) , and decided that it was pushing too much fuel down the tube and not enough outwards against the airflow into the flametube, so i made another injector with hole around the circumfence with a carby jet drillkit i had bought a week earlier ) #70 drillbit whatever thats in refrence to) , also out of copper bundy, had a bit of a stuff up as i was joining the brass and copper together i had what i thought was 34t silver solder after swearing and getting pissed about the finished product i went to grind down the mess i had. it took FOREVER! i let you guys guess what it was *note it was FUCKING hard as in the file was just about sliding over it *.

anyway i let my fiery temper settle and assembled the bits and pieces to make it a working piece again.

the hole in the neck

2012-05-29_12-48-35_377.jpg

the injector i made for the neck

2012-05-29_12-48-46_79.jpg

sitting in its home

2012-05-29_12-49-22_288.jpg

new fuel regulator setup (i did not want the one in the neck running fulltime incase the fuel mixed real well then hit the spark = BOOOOOM

2012-05-29_13-38-34_383.jpg

2012-05-29_13-36-54_498.jpg

i then run the thing up the new center injector i was well impressed with it instead of the boom i was used to at startup it just came to life (the only reason i knew to was running was the change in vacuum cleaner note).

I then started to open the new injector , woah lordy it started ok just tone change then went FOOOMP and everything started glowing orange really quick

pic of one of the later runs

2012-05-29_16-41-36_984.jpg

as you can see that is well inside the flametube , but its cooking the outer combustor wall . which means the flame has gone form the tube to the outer space DAMN. So now that injector might be moved to water injection duties later on down the track .

i also had a think about the oil supply problem for the turbo and decided until i come across a nice small gearpump that i would use the workshop oil prelubricator as a oil source and went about setting that up , its a mess but you get the idea! .

i also reassembled the vgt part of the turbo that i had pulled to bits thinking i couldnt use it after clocking the turbo. turns out i can, holy shit man vgt is the way of the future you can literally have it idling at x rpm and x flow from exhaust and then move the ring and wham full boost without a change of exhaust flow . fucking cool!.

anyway this post has way too much of a attempt at story telling so here you go more bandwidth!

the look of the flame with the neck injector on

pgZmWkJaAE4

the engine being started and then the neck injector being turned out, the second FOOMP is the flame retreating into the space between the flametube and combustor wall

eCd5Z_yf9yI

this is how i figured the flame was retreating outside the flametube

r30CtH9mwhA

and a nice vid of oil supply some increase in revs and the turbine wheel getting warm

6wTVjctphyM

so have learnt a few things . #1 copper is much better at heat conduction then steel (was hoping the lpg would cool the copper enough , it does not, this resulted in smoking rubber fuel line).

and #2 the turbo is MILES too small it reaches full spool at very low fuel openings

so now im after a bigger turbo , ideally one with 1 a/r or something :lol:

hah fuck that it works swell as it is just the turbo runs out of puff/sounds like its going to explode before the combustor stretches its arms/, and seeeings as more fuel burnt = more thrust, bigger turbo it is!

Yeah had this hope that the flow would stop the flame retreating .

made a new injector today too ,mk1 version of a liquod injector. I used an old diesel injector and whipped the end off, waiting for end of day to test!

What's left before you can get a vid up of it running with the turbo not the vac?

the hose btween the turbo and the inlet , i was trying to find some 50mm tube or pipe the other day but there is none anywhere so i might actually have to go buy some :shock: .

fuck yeah hemi R&D

so went to use the liquid injector but unfortunatley my fears came true as there must be some crud in the pipe and it blocks the injector immediatly . so me being smart and all was like ' hrmm well if i use a lpg injector withn the smallest hole and low pressure it might work sweet .

dear mother of god what a ammature mistake. i turned the tap on and a flame no less then 3m long full of burning diesel droplets got sprayed EVERYWHERE. keep your napalm that shit was scary and no fire extinguisher in the workshop would have been big enough to put it out :lol:.

i gave up after that as i think i sucked my pants , overalls and the trucks door behind me up my backside.

well bummed around with liquid fuel stuff today and have come to the conclusion that introducing liquid fuel into an engine like this is just silly as they amount of vapour you get is phenomenal and waayyy too hard to control . started with a normal ball tap and that was pretty much binary , i then added a pressure regulator but even then a 1/4 turn was the difference between nothing and 3 foot flames . so im going to work on getting the diesel into a vapour state before it enters the chamber prob by wrapped some copper bundy around the end of the combustor.

some pisc of today developments.

i had made another injector with one hole point straight out the end of the tube. i then made a plate for the jet to hit , the idea is the plate will get red hot and when the jet hits it , it will vapourise and become sweet sweet diesel fog .

2012-06-01_12-35-47_743.jpg

pic of where it sits in the flametube

2012-06-01_12-37-28_264.jpg

just a pic so you can see the injector

2012-06-01_12-37-44_911.jpg

and a pic of it running at a idle on just diesel , got real hot , this is where im thinking of running one or two coils of copper the vapourise the fuel

2012-06-01_15-26-02_896.jpg

and just a bum vid to show you it running on diesel by itself, shit is just waayy to hardcore and would melt the turbo in minutes/seconds

c0_lDvUIMlo