Hemi's fuel converting machine

Hemi

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

sml update , no real progress just small things .

like massive turbos :lol:8)

2012-07-03_09-35-04_547.jpg

made a flange for it out of steel thats too thin

2012-07-03_11-46-30_695.jpg

2012-07-03_11-48-17_610.jpg

2012-07-03_13-00-45_520.jpg

and bolted up

2012-07-03_18-08-10_924.jpg

comparison of the compressor wheels small on is 56 mm the big one is 76mm exducers

2012-07-03_18-14-24_22.jpg

haha jesus nah id prefer to much some pressure to force the oil through the bearings. man that some sweet thrust.

so today threw it together and made some flanges for the oil feed and drain with matching fittings, then i mounted on the combustor and was about to do the normal vacuum in intake thing when i decided 'stuff it im gonna make this thing run by itself. So i found some pipes that would fit and hooked it all up .

2012-07-04_18-04-37_417.jpg

I grabbed my duster gun and tried to spool up the turbo that way it would fire but after removing the gun it would die, so i grabbed a pressure regulator and a couple aro fittings and wound open the regulator much better , but the thing still dies when i remove the air ARGH! .

finally i decided the what was happening was there wasnt enough fuel to keep the thing going, i wound the regulator right in , no good the pressure inside the lpg bottle was just not enough.

Cue me turning the bottle upside down! . WOOHOO it worked only problem now is it keeps surging real bad , i think this is from the lpg flashing from liquid to gas in the chmaber causing pressure spikes , this will be fixed with liquid fuel!

vFCikdz_pDw

Wondering if the bottle nearly empty - maybe thats causing the surging?

Also most the guys seem to start them with some kind of artificial pressure like a vacuum cleaner on blow or leafblowers.. Doubt an airgun would have the volume to get the turbo spooling enough to support self sustaining combustion..

well just another update ande another milestone passed.

Went and got a new bottle of gas for the beast as the other one was pretty sad and running low etc .

So i set it all up and began the startup procedure

here we go . more long ass videos that pretty much show what the last millions have :lol:

pretty stoked with that effort to bh , but it has made me come to realise that thing thing is just going to be a nightmare to use for anything other then a constant thrust aka it takes SOOOO long to spool down so if it does get fitted to something itll be idle or full noise. i havent open the thing RIGHT up because i want to hook up and egt and tacho to the thing because the sound of the turbo is deafning and as such i cant tell how far it is away from letting the compressor try to chew it was through the housing :lol: .

also its running ~2psi , max flow for life yo'

V_AYikzWo7M

just one of it running , dont worry about the resonance im sure its just the phones microphone :wink: . hemi r&d spec wastegate acutator modification too , $5.99 plus shipping

r6yFtIAvl9Y

some pics of it running by itself and also temp readings from the snail and compressor outlet .

next up is the gauses and also a exhaust section to channel the thrust better and maybe even mount an afterburner? DUN DUN DUN

* you can feel the jet of air maybe 3m back?. would make a meke w/s heater / asphixiation device

2012-07-07_13-25-03_641.jpg

2012-07-07_13-25-14_101.jpg

2012-07-07_13-26-21_976.jpg

2012-07-07_13-26-32_277.jpg

• Like 1

another silly little update , decided to make a nozzle for the exhaust today so went about making more flanges:

2012-07-08_09-01-38_618.jpg

2012-07-08_09-01-42_784.jpg

2012-07-08_10-11-25_956.jpg

after that i went about figuring how i was going to do a better job of reducing the tube size . I started with a 76mm tube (im sure thats not a normal size for tube) i remember somewhere that a 30% reduction is size is a good starting point so off i went , after about 15 min of me trying to remember any form of primary school math i may have learnt i got this

2012-07-08_10-30-45_646.jpg

and it looked like this

2012-07-08_10-45-19_438.jpg

heres how it turned out , im pretty happy mainly with when i went to close the tube down all the tip met up quite well and i didnt have 3mm overlap and then 5mm gap on the next finger thing.

2012-07-08_11-59-51_668.jpg

2012-07-08_12-00-27_282.jpg

i had it running with it on bad was having fuel issues, i think due to the cold day as i just could not get it to play game when it was running the flame would keep blowing out the flametube and toasting the turbine blades and while its neat seeing them orange hot im sure the turbo does not enjoy it at all.

so i will open the ring i put on the end of the flametube up to introduce more cool air and hopefully this extra air will expand and give me more thrust . which btw is pretty sweet atm.

i would make sure that you got the right 30%, it would be unusual for a size reduction be related to diameter. It is more likely that it is 30% reduction in area. ie basically pi x r^2 x 0.7, so 64mm OD if using OD rather than ID which is true area and doesnt matter about wall thickness

also, 76mm tube is correct, its 3inch OD. Pipe size is the weird one being a nominal bore so 3" is actually 88.9mm OD

i really like your work on this though

• Like 1

oh mean cheers for clearing that up dude :) , yeah should know better then taking shit off the interwebs as gosphel :lol:

Yeah ned the sounds of the jet starting up is phenominal the whine just keeps getting higher and higher and higher etc would feel a wee bit more safe being next to the compressor if i knew it wasnt at blow to pieces rpm.

purchased a digital tacho and egt setup last night so should arrive tomorrow then i can actually see if mods are better or worse etc

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...