new tyres feel vague and wobbly at speed- this normal?...

yoeddynz

I got new tyres for the rear of the Viva. I think fairly decent quality Hankooks (Ventus V2 concepts) in 185/60 13. As soon as I left the tyre shop and headed back to city centre along bypass at 100kph the car felt really unstable with the rear end shifting about sideways as if it was tramlining badly, following evrey ridge on the road or like as if there were bloody strong side winds. :?

A couple of people have said that its the waxes and silicone on the tread that needs to get worn off and another told me its the little moulding spikes. I've done about maybe 200 kms in car now and the spikes are now little stumps. The car still feels 'drifty' like as if the rear suspension is all soft.

I seem to remember the only other time I have ever bought new tyres years back, some Yokohama A510's? for my old supercharged mr2 and they felt shit until the tread was half worn down and then they were great. They only lasted 10,000 kms of spirited driving on the back though.

Is this all usual for new tyres? - are they always shit for a few thousand k's?

I'm gonna check all my suspension bolts are tight tomorrow but the car was fine until I had bought the new tyres so I'm pretty damn sure its them.

I had a similar thing when I finally bought a new set of tyres for my RX-7 (in blenheim too actually!), They felt worse to drive on than the rooted second hand tyres I'd been using, for a couple of weeks then they settled down. No idea what caused it though, maybe they needed to settle on the rim or something equally bizarre.

They were some sort of decent Goodyear too, so shouldnt have been a quality thing.

definitely the tyres. depends on car how bad it feels though. my starlet walks around all over the place on new tyres, and as you say once they wear down a bit its fine. i put some of it down to the triangulated 4 link setup they run. sloppy rear plus sloppy tyres = extra sloppy... so worth looking at whats going on back there. same tyres on the trueno is way less noticeable. but can still fell it

found that the front alignment can make it feel worse as well.

Cheers aircooled but my nuts should be fine. I'll double check them just in case.

Kpr- the Viva uses a similar 4 link setup with triangulated top links. The bushes are soft so this might compound the effect. A mate in Scotland with a modded HB Viva had neatly fitted a Panhard rod and said it makes a big difference to stop the sideways movement.

I'll give the tyres more time to get better and double check all bolts, nuts, bushes etc. The tyre pressure they put in was about roughly 33psi. I wonder if thats too high and at speed the tyres are getting a rounded profile? They are crashy when hitting bumps. I used to run 28 I think. Will try a drop in pressure.

Yeah when i stuffed new tires on the wagon last, the first passing lane i came to - gave it a bootful and it was shuffling and squirming all over the place. New tires have some kinda wax on them to prevent them perishing on the shelf - takes a while for that to scrub off was the explanation i got.

Plus with new tall tread blocks - youll get a much different feel as the treads distort under power or stress a lot more than a smaller/worn block would.

Hiya Chris. Yeah I would have seen you but your all the way down there and I'm all the way up here. I got them for 125 each fitted and balanced as fella who works there owns a 12A powered HA Viva. I think thats an OK price ?

Yeah they were balanced and came up good. I'll top the pressures up and try that. Yeah they are directional and pointing the right way. Still have the little knobs to wear off so more skids then.....

ive had a similar experiance but on the front of a fwd civic wagon..

it didnt end too well...lost traction mid corner in the wet= having lunch with a culvert..

tyre shop paid for a new tyre cos it got ripped open..no damage to the car luckily..

but since then ive never got new tyres.always gone used....