Hawkes Boes Mk4 discussion thread

Leebo3

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen mine... Not what could be considered a short term project. If it's a requirement, Hawkesboes 2014 is likely the next event I'll be able to attend.

But apparently my truck is older than Beaver, so it probably counts.

Having an old car at an event will never be a requirement, it's better to have everyone there regardless of vehicle type or age, but it is always encouraged.

Story time!

Many a year ago, an event was attended by a number of individuals, myself included and this event was called Palmy Swap Meat '08. Now this event was fantastic and one to remember (what we could remember that is), but what we found was that almost everyone took a daily. This seemed justifiable at the time - it was a cold and rainy winter and many of us were commuting for several hours.

At this event we had a bit of a drunken discussion about the fact that our events were heading in the wrong direction. A little too much drinking oriented, with a little too few old cars there. There were a number of people involved in this discussion and the general concensus was that we needed an event focussed on cars toward the end of the year - the opposite end to OS Nats, another fantastic event that also is focussed around rewarding those who make the effort to attend in an old car. Rewarded with great photos, an awesome cruise, sometimes even a bit of time out on the track or a closed carpark (perhaps even a nice flat paddock in the future?). It was here that Lee suggested he had been thinking of hosting an event in the Hawks Bay, and thusly Hawks Boes was born!

Some of this can be seen in this wee thread here, which is quite cool to look through as it was quite a while ago, but doesn't seem like it. Lee even suggested the venue we just used way back then! Unfortunately it was booked out from what I understand, otherwise we may have found out ideal setup for an OS event some time ago.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=15119

You can even see where the first reference to "Hawks Boes" was made by Richie :lol:

So yeah, not just me being a Nazi and trying to discourage people from attending in any way. Just trying to encourage this as a great start to the summer season of cruising in an old car and an incentive to get peoples cars running and to enjoy them, which is what this place is all about in my opinion.

so it seems a nats style/themed dinner and prize giving is pretty popular so i say bring in the nats awards stuff for cars also. that way it gives people another reason to bring cars to try score awards. even an award for the oldest car there would be sweet. i wouldnt mind chipping in a few extra $$'s to get awards funded. i should still beable to get good rates on laser cutting/welding/etching so given some warning i dont mind organising some sweet stainless awards or something also.

also another thought what was the idea with grasskana? could we do it at camp? like a technical one where you have to park between cones spec and take heaps of speed out of it. and do penalty's for any loss of traction to save the grass. also maybe the older the car the more bonus time of you get to encourage more to do it in pretty much anything you brought.

just some ideas anyways.

The people at the place sounded pretty sure they didnt want the grass ripped up....

And as much as I like your forward thinking to ideas on how to run one without such drama. i think I know, and you know, and everyone knows, that sometimes shit just gets out of hand... and when its a massive feild, with cones, and speed... poeple are going to skid it up

(Aye Sentra haha)

But yes, I like Brads story, it makes me warm inside. In fact, Hawkes boes has always held so strong in my heart, as its always beena fucken good time, good Weather, and problably contributed quite highly to me Moving here in the first Place.

As for awards, Lee and i were discussing that yes, more prizes and awards are where its at. And if we incoperate these things into certian challenges, including but not exclusively to poker run etc, then i think it will make it even greater!

One thing that most these events can come down to though is money. We think we have hit the jackpot with the venue we just used. Cheap compared to other options. (besides last year when we turned the shit into a camping ground)

And granted the price could nicely go up a bit with out being a problem, to cover more things etc.

Super keen to plan an amazing one for next year. And will be looking back on this thread to formulate a plan for the ulimate Hawkes Boes.