Eaton M62/90 vs SC14

keltik

Have done all the calculations and looked at flow maps. The clever money says go with the Eatons, the convenience factor squarely points to the SC14.

Just looking to the OS camp for experience with either of these units. The magnetic clutch on the SC14 is a big attraction for me as i only want more power under full throttle.

Would be pushing approx 280-300bhp on a 3liter. Intercooled if neccessary.

The biggest motor the sc14 was factory fitted to was a 2.4ltr.

The Eaton M62 was fitted to a nissan VG33. (3.3ltr)

The toyota is more compact, but the eaton is slighlty longer, which will aid pulley alignemnt when mounting.

How much boost do you wanna run? Roots blowers don't like big numbers.

The common M90 doesnt seem to have a clutch. Im only going to be running up to 8psi from it and mounting space is at a premium since its going on a boxer.

Would most likely be mounted where the ABS pump/airbox currently is (over on the drivers side).

dsc00024pb.jpg

Or i guess i could spring for a new manifold and mount it a-la commodore v6, but then i wouldnt get the equivalent of T-VIS that i currently have.

CR is a factory 10.7:1. Bit high but should be do-able right? Its a piss poor breathing engine and thus will never exceed 6500rpm.

My calculations of a SC14 on a 3ltr told me not to waste my time.

An M90 pumps about the same as a SC12 I think, so a 2:1 pulley ratio will give around 7psi boost, or thereabouts.

I ended up going for this thing.

12082011160.jpg

Lysholm / IHI supercharger from a Mazda thing. 1.2L per rev, but is a shitload more efficient than the roots type. They can also spin up to 15K rpm and will handle 18 or more PSI all day long.

My calculations of a SC14 on a 3ltr told me not to waste my time.

An M90 pumps about the same as a SC12 I think

That cant be right? M90 is bigger than a SC14 which is bigger than a SC12 right? Either way, 8psi isnt asking a lot.

Another contender would be the IHI charger off those 3.2L mercs