Ed bought... and sold... another bloody AW11 (it's now Millhouse's)

0R10N

how about leaving the wheels as a distressed aluminium look, then coat with something clear and non-shiny? I would fully rock that as is, it's way cooler than the old bronze P1's I had.

I did consider this, but the wheels come out of the acid tank with a matte finish to the face and the section around the hub bolts is shiny (see sample photo) so it looks a tad strange.

then again it could kick start a new stupid trend :lol:

Quotes for painting have also been mildly head-exploding ($200 per wheel). Having tallied up all my receipts so far, and the headache inducing mission to get them from Wellington, I should have just manned up and bought some off Yahoo and paid the $750 for those bronze ones I found.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well my painter says he'll paint them the same time as he paints the AW11 for $50 per wheel cash, but he can't guarantee the paint won't scrape off the lips as soon as tyres are fitted.

No idea where to go for powdercoating, a mate used to do it in Hamilton but unsure if he still keeps in touch with the company down there.

yeh def powder coat, should be able to get them done in colour and clear for around 60 a wheel (well thats what mine cost)

there are people everywhere for powdercoating, just google that shit/surely some other OS boes have had some done in auckland.

"Hello, Procoat."

"Hi, was just wondering how much it'd cost to powdercoat four rims in bronze? They've already been acid dipped and stripped."

"Do you want to blast them as well?"

"Hmm, they should be ok without blasting, but what's the cost difference?"

"Well you're looking at around $150 to powdercoat each wheel without blasting, but if you do decide to blast them as well it's $180 per wheel."

"Alright, thanks for that. Bye."

/head explode

yeah will start ringing around after my next meeting/during lunch.

Have to go pick up and pay for the other three rims as well.

Yellow Pages is all good but sometimes you just want to sort the wheat from the chaff by asking if anyone has any recommendations. That way you don't ring up some random place and get quoted $180 per rim and feel like your undies have just been ripped in half.

cost me 80 a piece down here including blasting for a set of citroen steels. they were so caked in grease and dirt and aids that i expected them to charge me heaps more.

would trade again. a++++ job (just don't get riveted steels powdercoated as they flex and start doing brown rusty water wees on rainy days.

Buddyclubs are back from the wheel repairers and ready for a fresh coat of paint. At this stage I'm happy for my painter to spray them unless I get a better offer from a powdercoater or somewhere else - as Markku suggested, hopefully he should be able to do them in a decent 2K.

I had him paint the Rallyracing wheels on the TX3, and those came up with nary a scratch - even after I let the monkeys from Hyper fit the tyres.

they look kinda cool all ratty aluminium spec though! Gonna leave the slight kerbing marks, it's not serious enough to warrant dishing out another $40 per rim to repair, and only noticeable up close anyway.

the RX-7 will sacrifice its 15" tyres to make this happen, they've only done about 1000km and are going to waste just sitting around. Gonna fit some Windmuehle style replicas in 14" instead that would look quite choice/disgusting. Or maybe Ricardo's Volks if he wants to part with them for a sharp price.

24yv729.png