Ed bought... and sold... another bloody AW11 (it's now Millhouse's)

0R10N

The powdercoater I use at work had a set of steel wheels in at his place the othr day and I asked what he charged. I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering correctly but I think it was $40 a wheel. They can do pretty much any colour you want. The guys a bit weird to deal with but once you get chatting he's all good. He does quite a lot of automotive stuff so he should be able to sort you out.

The Powedercoating Factory

7 Riverbank Road

New Lynn

09-827-2535

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

which video? If you mean the one with the blue AW11 on Buddyclubs, that's just a random video I found on youtube and posted up so that people could see, uh, what Buddyclubs look like on blue AW11s.

if I had moar money I would not say no to some TRD shocks and springs (for low-down effect and up-handling ability), a HKS 12psi supercharger pulley and extractors, a nice free flowing exhaust, and either a TRD or Cusco LSD. Then I would definitely be away laughing. But as I said in the first post... none of this is very high on the agenda at this stage.

Though functional air conditioning would be nice. I am such a sucker for not sorting that out the first week I had the car :(

• 1 month later...

My panelbeaters cleared some space down at their werkshop for the AW11 at long last. Basically some guy's Fiat 131 had been there forever and a day, and finally left last week for god knows where (hopefully the car crusher). Testament will remember the one, it was there three years ago when my TX3 was getting intimate with the chassis machine, for god's sake!

I dropped the car off on Tuesday along with a bunch of extras: side skirts to be fitted, bonnet etc.

fXgHR.jpg

lrOZ2.jpg

Greg got straight into the stripping process on Wednesday, and this is what it looked like when I turned up today with the list of things to fix, and a couple of bits I'd forgotten to drop off:

zdI4t.jpg

Fortunately for my sanity (and wallet), apart from the two small pieces of rust in the bottom of the A-pillars on both sides, no other serious rust was found anywhere on the car. Although I'm expecting some to appear when the little "triangles" in front of the rear wheel arches get removed as part of the sideskirt fitting process.

oh, and the usual front bumper support rust. Ch-wop-wop :( Time to find another one, uuughhh.

bQE4f.jpg

Photo of the rust hole on the passenger side, it is but a minnow compared to how rotten my last one was in the same general area.

27fhv.jpg

Didn't get a photo of the driver's side due to the awkward angle, and it's just a little bit of surface bubbling anyway. But as a bonus, the front guards are in decent condition and still contain 100% metal content. Three of my previous AW11s had had "repairs" performed to their front guards in the form of chicken wire/newspaper/bog/a combination of all three :rolleyes:

vYpXC.jpg

however all four wheelarches need to be repaired thanks to some moron's terrible guard-roller botch-job. Seriously, what was the previous owner thinking?

I also sent the sweet factory front lip off to be plastic-welded and reconditioned. The other option was to buy a brand new one ex Toyota for around a thousand bucks. Yeah, nah. Gotta hunt around for replacement brackets nowe:

Dy19e.jpg

Trick is not to go completely bonkers like I did with the TX3, because this time I don't have $15,000 just lying around as throwaway money. I may have no choice but to primer the fucker up and drive around all haggard-spec for a while until I can get it painted and the pinstriping and decals re-applied.

Yeah, a friend of mine can get the bumper support thru Toyota for a decent price, ex-staff member and all, so will probably ask and see.

although if facebook is to be believed... hitting it with a blast, killing all the rust and repainting/POR15ing might be just as effective/cheaper. Probably best to do it properly though, since the rest of the front is currently off.

Must be a relief not to see gaping holes there. My one had old 50c coin sized holes in the A pillars by the hinges :lol:

for sure. given my only inspection window when buying the car was 15 mins under the lights at Jville Mobil around 8pm, it didn't turn out too bad!

The AW I sold to camel/spence had rust that was starting to creep up into the hinge area, and down into the sills. They managed to get it mostly sorted though, since I nowe see that car all the time in Kingsland.

My last one had been "fixed professionally" in the A and B pillars, but after the first year the paint/weird thick compoundy shit started bubbling around the repaired areas so that was a sure sign it hadn't been done all that well, hah.

• 1 month later...

Got this plate kicking around unmanufactured. Tempted to get it made and whack it on the AW...

Gn1iN.png

though the beauty of it is that it suits all of my cars :lol:

Also, a bit of progress to see in the new year: managed to obtain an '89 spec black interior from a guy that's turning one into a racecar, so I have The Option of getting rid of the smurf blue if I so desire. He also gave me the rare LED rear spoiler, which was a bloody good score, as I know they're worth moonbeams!

Just waiting for a quote to come back from Toyota NZ about a brand new bumper support, then werk shall resume on the 9th. Fitting sideskirts, repairing the failed attempt at rolling the guards, and making sure the doors/bonnet/panels all line up properly.

Meanwhile my usual painter (John from Cascade Autofinish) has recommended that I look for someone else to paint the bits and bobs that require it - typically the list of items has grown considerably from when I first started pulling the car apart, as my shoestring budget would most likely be blown if he was to undertake it all. So I may make some inquries at GT Refinishers, as recommended by a few upstanding citizens of OS.

oh, and my Humbug 2011 present to myself:

197347865_full.jpg

AW11 SC Cusco rear strut brace.

what's that, 80 skids in the new shed you say? :bounce:

Conversation with panelbeater today went something like this:

"Sup Ed, I found some rust in the passenger side sill."

"o rly? was it behind the triangular cover in front of the rear wheelarch?"

"...damn you know way too much about AW11s."

:lol::lol: was moar of a lucky guess on my part actually, coupled with the knowledge that the only area of the sills I couldn't inspect when buying the car was behind said triangular covers.

Have to go in and see how bad it is tomorrow. Hopefully not half as bad as pretty much every one of my old AW11s.

oh, and a huge thankyou to Mark @ Manawatu Toyota for sorting out a brand new genuine bumper support, at a very sharp price, post haste!

All going well I should have the car back on Thursday to get a WOF, will drive around for a bit until I sort out the paint.

Photos! New TGP bumper support fitted. All I need nowe are some lush clear indicators. Might be my next purchase via Hayatonka ;)

JWVIQ.jpg

jY6EI.jpg

A efw months ago the bracket holding the front licence plate snapped off (about 10 minutes out of Matata in torrential rain...) and ever since then the plate has been attached to the front grille by means of cable ties (and hope). No more! The bracket has been repaired and new steel welded in to make it approximately ten times as strong.

If the plate ever falls off again I'll eat my shoe.

0O58d.jpg

An assortment of blasted and treated brackets to be refitted:

iUMwH.jpg

The front lip also arrived back from the plastic welders, all repaired and ready to be prepped/repainted. The price was a very reasonable $115. Had the option of buying new pieces ex Japan thru Toyota, but the lead times were in the region of months at a cost of over $500. Still nice to know that the parts can still be bought brand new~!

DDVU2.jpg

Should look good once back on the vehicle. I always chuckle whenever I see smug AW11 "enthusiasts" whinging about not being able to find replacement front lips. If only they spent 10 minutes Doing The Research, instead of being snobs :lol:

csXQL.jpg

Was expecting to find a giant rusthole here (vent behind the C pillar trim), but to one's pleasant surprise...

eNLro.jpg

And finally - the rust that was discovered yesterday lives here, in the passenger side sill behind the old triangular end caps. It's definitely nowhere near as bad as any of my old AW11s, which is a good testament to how tidy this car really is overall, but I've asked Greg to make up a new patch to be welded into place to prevent further deterioration. Especially since it will be covered up by the new side skirts - better safe than sorry, rite?

qB9PX.jpg

9dIPg.jpg

Driver's side isn't as bad, will just need a blast and grind and a heap of Brunox/POR15/fishoil before being repainted.

w6r3p.jpg

VZAgf.jpg

End cap triangles which hide the rust. Bad triangles!

Ib2AD.jpg

The engine cover prop rod from the first update has also been installed. It is rad, and definitely worth the $40 I paid.

8U8qs.jpg

Bonus photo: dirty coupe is dirty...

R3ewP.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sneaked the AW11 into the new Mega Shed for some tinkering today, with the help of Born_disturbed. Officially I'm not supposed to be using it until the garage company says I can (which they haven't yet) - but as far as we can tell council have signed the structure off, and I've paid a heap of money for the privilege, so why the hell not :mrgreen:

totally loving the amount of space I've got to play with at the moment; obviously this is set to change in the not too distant future... if only I could stop worrying about the cars leaking oil all over the floor!

6823074222_385dcd37c7_z.jpg

First things first. Due to needing new wheels and tyres for a WOF, and with the Buddyclub P-1s far from ready, I had to find some 15s to roll around on in the interim. Enter Bradkuni and his kind offer of some '80s spec 15" Linea Sport Turbofins, complete with the rare "Utmost" racing saucers. Wanted to make sure they fit 100% without fouling on the brake calipers unlike the last few sets of wheels I stupidly wasted a bunch of dollars on, so drove out to crazytim's pad and picked one up for test fitting.

6823073680_778e999107_z.jpg

Racing Saucer close up, complete with amusing Engrish slogan :lol:

6969197991_29890ffa5b_z.jpg

And the results were nigh on perfect. No fouling and no guard rub. Sold, cheers Brad!

6969198719_9c02e870ce_z.jpg

6823075202_5e1e49b9be_z.jpg

Hopefully further on down the track I'll get them refurbished to this standard and placed into my repository of sweet rims, to be swapped on if the need ever arises... 8)

ygkpx768-img600x450-1133931173kif_0407.jpg

Next task was to replace four brake hose clips, and two completely shagged front swaybar links. HUGE thanks to forum member loest8 for hooking me up with a near flawless pair of replacement ones, for the sum of zero pesos. What a GC!

6823074472_cea98dea53_z.jpg

The one on the driver's side proved to be rather bent, and was the cause of some rather alarming pulling-to-the-right issues. Ironically though, the passenger side one (which I didn't take any photos of) was in far worse condition even though it initially appeared to be fine.

6969198987_8c44ee3894_z.jpg

All finished and parked up for the night!

6823075714_06ae0a4dd2_z.jpg

Showing off the neat '89 spec LED rear spoiler. Needs to be the same colour as the rest of the car for maximum elegance, but it's still neater than running an aftermarket high stop light.

6823075970_07f9f08e0b_z.jpg

Also got sick of the strut brace gathering dust in the corner of the lounge so moved it out to the shed.

6823075450_970ffd3dfa_z.jpg

• 2 months later...

Finally fitted the Linea Sports on the weekend, as the old rims have been sold to a friend in Wellington.

Suuuuuuuuuuuper shit photo, but you get the gist.

9aPvY.jpg

and since the RX-7 is finished, I may actually get a move on and paint all the bits that need painting. Quite tempted to lower the car a bit as well...