Any of you cunts keen for a cruise up to the go-kart track?

RUNAMUCK

basically if the public have access to the area then the cops can enforce any road laws they want. thats how they can set speed limits on the beaches etc. so in essence they can fine you for speeding, loss of traction etc for havign a burn on the track, which IMO is utter bull crap

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

personally reckon the track should be fenced off to keep the genuine dickheads out.

last time i was up there, morons had been doing standstills which had worn through to substrate, and there were 2 spots where cars had been burnt out in the track surface.

at least if it was fenced, and by paying a bond for a key?, you could lock yourselves in and not be in breach of any 'public' road rulings.

This statutory definition covers places to which the public have access - whether of right or not. For an example, read the definition of 'road' in the Land Transport Act 1998 (on the Public Access to Legislation Project website). Take particular note of paragraph (d) and the words 'A place to which the public have access, whether as of right or not'.

Another feature, not seen often overseas, is the specific inclusion of a beach as a road. This allows local authorities to set speed limits on beaches, and also allows the New Zealand Police to enforce traffic laws, such as registration requirements, that apply to the on-road use of motor vehicles.

The definition aims to ensure that the public are protected from the misuse of motor vehicles, even in areas where we would not ordinarily expect to find motor vehicles. It is important to note that the definition does not give a right of access to any area covered by it, but rather ensures that the Act, and others like it, applies regardless of any public rights of access and use.

Because of the wide scope of the definition, the courts have developed a number of principles that they apply when considering whether a place is a road. These include that:

'public' means the public in general, and not just a section of the public

it is not enough that the place is physically open to the public - they must be shown to be actually using it.

:lol: at so many words yet no clarity/sense

WTF does all that shit actually mean? I'm too hammered to decipher it atm.

what that guy said, sounds like a load to me

• 2 weeks later...

one of my mates went there and got done that day they were in a levin and got done for loss of traction on the go kart track (i gave them shit for fwd skids suck) if it hadn't been posted as a event on facebook that 600+ people confirmed they were going then the cops might have just ingored it they would turn a blind eye as it was keeping the local hoons off the roads but when they heard numbers like that they would have to do somthing to prevent it getting out of control.

technically (im pretty sure) its not a go kart track. its a conveniently shaped section of tarseal that (i think) the lcoal go kart club made an excuse to build. its fucked so you would want to race go karts on there anyway

Im still confused as to how they can enforce road rules on a go kart track when go karts themselves arnt allowed on the road?

If it was used for karts they probably locked the gate. Would prevent it being a public road. Need to find out who owns the land and (unless its the council or some crap) offer them beers for permission for a days use. Lock the gate and look at the cops from the otherside of the gate while you have your fun.

A kid I went to school with who's folks had a batch in Kaikoura, used to own a go-kart that held the track record there. (Talking 20+ years ago)

Fuck it, we should just pick a date and go. Just no dumb fucker announce that shit on faece-book. (Or I'll break your legs)

Went and had a look, there are 4 possible access routes to the cart track. I think you woud need at least 8 roadcones and some chain to block it off (these were including tracks from the riverbed etc)

I did a couple of laps with 5 up and 5 sets of dive gear and nearly flipped the outback wagon on the tight right left!

The track is ok, there are a couple of potholes that could be fixed with a couple of shovelfulls of gravel.

Hope that helps

Felixx

essentially, taking a bucket of gravel, a shovel and some gate gear is easy enough, but its the legality's around fencing off property you don't own that will potentially give issues, you'll have to find out who owns the land the track is on before you can even think about playing with no hassle from the cops

^ and it was usefull, i think if we called kaikoura police, say we want to have a club cruise up to the track, do a spot of maintenance and have a wee drive, you cant get out of 2nd gear i don't think, so its pretty safe.

just set ourselves aside from boy racers and more as a responsible club