E34 BMW

EFI_LC

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ sounds promising. How did you manage to verify that info?

Back to the model, I thought you could get "M" BMW's without them being M3, or M5, as the case may be. I'm probably wrong, BMW's confuse the fuck out of me.

So with the motors in there having a low CR etc, would a high comp NA build with decent induction and exhaust be on the cards perhaps? Maybe drop a lower ratio diff in there to get the gear ratios back a bit. Might liven it up a little bit and tune it more to New Zealands roads than the Autobahn Cruiser it was built to be.

^ sounds promising. How did you manage to verify that info?

Back to the model, I thought you could get "M" BMW's without them being M3, or M5, as the case may be. I'm probably wrong, BMW's confuse the fuck out of me.

So with the motors in there having a low CR etc, would a high comp NA build with decent induction and exhaust be on the cards perhaps? Maybe drop a lower ratio diff in there to get the gear ratios back a bit. Might liven it up a little bit and tune it more to New Zealands roads than the Autobahn Cruiser it was built to be.

M bmw's without being M3 or M5 are usually a crock. Anyone can stick a M badge on anything. In fact, most dealerships now a-days biff them on anything that has a sports bodykit on it. Bit sad really. There were a few that were factory badged up that weren't M5 or 3, main one I can think of is an E28 (shape before this - same as my old one) M535i. Just spec'd up with LSD, manual, recaros, bodykit etc.

These E34s were more than likely replacements for these I guess?

The E34 motors have 9.5:1 I think? The E28 535i motors had two options, a low comp 8.5:1 and a high comp 10:1?

The E34 heads have larger ports and valves though.

Maybe a build with E28 high comp pistons and your current head with some ITBs would be cheeeeeee'. Not sure if this would work or not? But was my plan with my old E28.

\ I think denny hulme passed away in an E34 M5?

pritty sure he died in the Benson & Hedges Racing E30 M3 Evo shared with Paul Morris

I stand corrected

And I bought a set of 4x108 15x6" steels off a Peugeot 307 off the guy who owns the B&H E30 now, then KKK bought them off me. KKK pretty much = reincarnation of Denny Hulme based on this.

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

I am thinking it may be the fourth from a particular factory or possibly the 4th manual?

It is most likely Munich but the codes don't quite match so need confirmation

Even so it drives dam nice

Chassis number BF00004 < Its possible that

Vehicle code HD12

Series E34

Model 535i

Body type saloon

Catalog model ECE

Production date 1989 / 02

Engine M30

Transmission Manual

Steering Right

Catalyzer YES

Additional Information for Vehicle code HD12

Production FROM : 1988/04/01 TO : 1993/02/28

Engine M30 B34

Engine Oil 5.75 Liter

Transmission Manual

Transmission Model Getrag 260/6

Transmission Oil 1.25 Liter

Rear Axle Oil 1.90 Liter

Coolant(w/o Air Conditioner) 12.00 Liter

Coolant(with Air Conditioner) 12.50 Liter

Brake fluid 1.00 Liter

Remarks :

\ I think denny hulme passed away in an E34 M5?

pritty sure he died in the Benson & Hedges Racing E30 M3 Evo shared with Paul Morris

I stand corrected

And I bought a set of 4x108 15x6" steels off a Peugeot 307 off the guy who owns the B&H E30 now, then KKK bought them off me. KKK pretty much = reincarnation of Denny Hulme based on this.

I bet on figuring this out you put your glasses on and played The Who at max vol..

CSI+Miami+MEME.JPG

LEWL

wow- we had a E34 wagon version with the 2.5 turbo diesel. Fuck it was good! so so cheap to run- drove all the way to Switzerland and back - autobahn managed 115mph! Not bad for a big car with a diesel. So comfortable. And we could sleep in it (forgot tent once) I don't think NZ got the diesel ones?

I remember getting battery out from under rear seat and fuck was there a lot of wires- i would not like to trace a broken wire etc....

You sir have a fine automobile!

The E34 motors have 9.5:1 I think? The E28 535i motors had two options, a low comp 8.5:1 and a high comp 10:1?

The E34 heads have larger ports and valves though.

Maybe a build with E28 high comp pistons and your current head with some ITBs would be cheeeeeee'. Not sure if this would work or not? But was my plan with my old E28.

E34 also had to different compressions. I dont know the exeact numbers but the dirty(non-Catalyzer) had about 10 more horse power(I think) and the higher comp ratio. Also E34 M535i had different seats to nomal 535i.

The engine you are refering to is from the earlier version...

M30B34 3.4 L (with catalytic converter)

8.0:1 compression ratio

185 BHP /188 PS

3.4 L (without catalytic converter)

10.0:1 compression ratio

214 BHP / 218 PS

Applications:

1985-1988 E28 5-Series

1985-1987 E24 6-Series

1985-1987 E23 7-Series

E34 specs are...

535i with 5-speed Getrag manual transmission:

0–60 mph (0–97 km/h) in 7.5 s

1/4 mile (0.4 km) in 15.9 s

Top speed (computer-limited, as on non-European models): 128 mph (206 km/h)

Top speed (drag-limited): 146 mph (235 km/h),

60-0 mph (97–0 km/h) in 130 feet (40 m)

M30B35 3.4 liter (3430 cc) SOHC inline-6 cylinder

9.0:1 compression ratio

208 bhp / 211 PS @ 5700 rpm

225 ft·lbf (305 N·m) torque @ 4000 rpm

87 AKI / 91 RON octane fuel or better recommended

Applications:

1988-1989 E24 635CSi

1988-1993 E34 535i

1988-1992 E32 735i

3.5 L M90 (3453 cc) Applications:

1978-1983 E24 635CSi

1980-1981 E12 M535i

I've had a bit of experience with E34s..... a manual 535, an auto, and a 540i.

One of the things to check out with the brakes, are the brake hoses, the geniune ATE hoses, either balloon out, or collapse internally. My old manual was a shocker on the track, as one of the rear hoses was ballooning out.

Personally my preference is for the 540i, they are faster, and more economical when travelling....but the origins of the 3.5 engine is actually back from the 60s, as opposed to the V8 which was a new engine in the 90s.

As for tuning....there are all sorts of claims made, but I would suspect that the only way to actually get real HP out of the engines is to spend a heap of cash. The Alpina B10 (non turbo), was only a + 20 or 30 hp, with major headwork, camshaft and exhaust modifications.

Unlike the E12 and E28 engines, I would suspect that the E34 had a better exhaust manifold, and I would suspect there would be minimal gains (apart from engine note), from doing headers only.

The other issue with running a Link or other aftermarket ECU, is that the Engine Management Computer, is working in conjunction with the Body control system, so some critcal functions may not work on the car.

Most of the chip options that I looked at, raised BHP, but either increasing fuelling (= worse fuel economy), or increasing max RPM (less engine life). Most of the big HP claims, were based on changes to the US models, which were lower HP than our euro - non emmission models, so the gains arent substantial (less than 20hp), also watch the claims...some were claiming 15 hp gains....but it was mid range not overall.

and.....

clutch heavy = normal for the E34, they are great when you are touring, but a real bastard around town in stop start traffic.

The gearboxes are pretty robust, but are really expensive to fix, as all the bearings etc are only available from BMW, mine was rebuilt under a vehicle warranty at around 150K.

Yours must be a fairly early one, as the "common" '90 model NZ new cars generally had the M-Tech bodykit, M-Tech Suspension, and the 415 metric rims.

This is what our old one looked like (17 inch racing dynamic rims replaced the metrics when we popped a tyre)

KIF_1715.jpg

The NZ new HD12s were highly regarded, as they were some of the best spec'd manual 535s in the world.

Your friendly BMW dealer should be able to tell you what the build (options) sheet for you car is.

Only real issues with the E34, is the 100kmh shimmy - which is generally the front suspension bushes - you can get OEM ones with the HD 750i bushes (better ride than Nolathane) off Ebay, there can be some oddball heater issues (resistor packs), but I've never had the problem, the plasma displays can loose pixels over time, and check the rear "dog bone" suspension bushes.

They are awesome fun at trackdays, they have huge grip for such a heavy car, yet with close to 50/50 weight balance, they drift progressively on the limit, and can be induced into oversteer on the throttle....heaps of fun

I wouldnt bother trying to modify the driveline, if you want to go faster, buy a 540i and do a manual conversion on it.

We just sold our 540i for $3600, you would be pushed to get a Schrick camshaft and valve springs for the M30 for that price, and that gets you 280 bhp, and a lighter engine