E34 BMW

EFI_LC

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it go like? I have the same but 2.5 auto and its a sluggish whore.

As far as upgrades go, the 4L v8 is supposedly very easy to bolt in, but i dont think you would need that as you would end up auto and slower. I have driven a few bms with exhaust upgrades and air filter etc, but it didnt really seem to unleash much power.

Hi thanks.. Model is stock 535i motor but the car has M Tech add-ons apparently, excuse me as I am a BMW newb. Yer its pretty good for a heavy car. I don't wanna V8 as I have always been a keen inline 6 fan.

I wound her up to 160km/h and thought I was only doin 120km/h

The stats I got show its 3 seconds quicker to 60mph than the 2.5 motor with auto and has a top speed of 235km/h (146mph)

I wonder what the Alpina motor has as it uses the same motor but has a healthy increase of power.

no such thing as M extras reallly... Jus fellas pulling your legs. Although, it looks like a BMW NZ spec'd up 535i manual that was realised in e34s with all the options ticked. It prolly has a LSD?

If no LSD, then as cam said, high ratio medium case diff would be your best bet, mine responded heeeaps to a free flowing zaust. Always wanted to chuck a link on mine and biff the factory afm, but never got round to it/had the $ to.

The other thing I wanted was someone to build a mean set of headers. These have fairly yuck log manifolds.

Basically anything that's not 3 series will bolt on brakes wise if you want bigger, E32 7 series, E31? 8 series etc. But probably no real need.

M30 ftw though. Sweet engine.

no such thing as M extras reallly... Jus fellas pulling your legs. Although, it looks like a BMW NZ spec'd up 535i manual that was realised in e34s with all the options ticked. It prolly has a LSD?

If no LSD, then as cam said, high ratio medium case diff would be your best bet, mine responded heeeaps to a free flowing zaust. Always wanted to chuck a link on mine and biff the factory afm, but never got round to it/had the $ to.

The other thing I wanted was someone to build a mean set of headers. These have fairly yuck log manifolds.

Basically anything that's not 3 series will bolt on brakes wise if you want bigger, E32 7 series, E31? 8 series etc. But probably no real need.

M30 ftw though. Sweet engine.

Sweet now thats the info...

I should go find an exhaust gasket and buy some bends and see what I can come up with :)

What are diffs worth?

Maybe a microtech

Yea its got extras but i dunno if they were normal or not like the auto adjusting mirrors linked to the electric 3 memory seats and mirrors that auto change when i select reverse, speakers and lights everywhere lol. i must read the manual.

i should jack her ass up and check for lsd

numbes on tag on diff head will give you ratio. i think if it's got an 's' in there it's lsd. jacking it will tell you anyway.

diffs are cheapish. sparkle's e28 had a 3.05 or some shit whihc gave about 12903482385492384238042kph in 3rd gear. tall diff ratio really held back it's potential.

if you're boss as and it only does like 1200rpm in top at 110k like his did, get another diff, try it out, and if you like it, slam the lsd centre (assuming yours has one) in it. a 3.73 is the apparent ideal for these, though.

sparkle's with a 4.1 would have been super rapid, i reckon.

keep it off the rev limiter (apparently these smash rockers at like 6800 or somethign and they limit at 6500... something like that, although rxsumo's e12 m535 had a fucke dmechanical limiter and that's still rockin)

they get asthmatic over 5.5k anyway

also, exhaust as sparkle said will free up a few neddys.

also, pay careful attention to the cooling system. headgaskets/head are fairly fragile in these.

e34 535 is one car i want to own at some point. so soooo sweet.

Cheers mate... This actually has had broken rockers previously and had the head rebuilt and bores etc checked with nothing else needed so hopefully it will last a while longer :D

Interested in your comment about asthmatic past 5500 as it says peak is 5700 with 155kW

I drove a few and wasn't impressed with them until I drove this and being a 5-speed I thought perfect, the fact it was NZ new and had a service history even better.

2 things though you may be able to help with, the brakes are ABS but feel a bit spongy and the clutch feels heavy is there anything worng or is this normal?

This will never match my Torana in acceleration but has a feel of smooth, power and long legs.

lots of euros have spongy ABS brakes. often half of it is just because ABS brakes are spongey. the other half is becasue often they'r designed to be 'left hook' and instead of moving everything to the right for RHD markets, they have an array of linkages from the booster on the left, to the pedal on the right.

The engine number is interesting.. BF00004 they couldn't have sold many before it?

The brakes work well but and they pull up well but compared to what I thought they would feel like its slighly spongy.

I know what ya's are talkin about with the tall gearing but the torque takes care of it nicely. I might enter it in the flying 1/4 this year

Yeah I always quite liked these since the old bathurst days - I think denny hulme passed away in an E34 M5? I can think of worse chariots to cross the line in.

From what I recall the 3.5L motors are quite low compression, hence the not so spectacular power output. But it means they can probably take 5-7psi of boost which would make several worlds of difference.

M extras list:

colour coded sills

different bumpers

different door moulds

also if you give bmw your vin they can tell you what the optional upgrades were when it was made/ordered

It's also highly likely the build sheet is stuck to the inside of a panel somewhere, sometimes under the back seat squab and the floor of the boot are two common spots, it will all be 3 letter codes which you can look up online. These ones will only tell you the factory fitted extras, there could also be NZ dealer fitted extras.