E34 BMW

EFI_LC

and.....

clutch heavy = normal for the E34, they are great when you are touring, but a real bastard around town in stop start traffic.

The gearboxes are pretty robust, but are really expensive to fix, as all the bearings etc are only available from BMW, mine was rebuilt under a vehicle warranty at around 150K.

Yours must be a fairly early one, as the "common" '90 model NZ new cars generally had the M-Tech bodykit, M-Tech Suspension, and the 415 metric rims.

This is what our old one looked like (17 inch racing dynamic rims replaced the metrics when we popped a tyre)

KIF_1715.jpg

The NZ new HD12s were highly regarded, as they were some of the best spec'd manual 535s in the world.

Your friendly BMW dealer should be able to tell you what the build (options) sheet for you car is.

Only real issues with the E34, is the 100kmh shimmy - which is generally the front suspension bushes - you can get OEM ones with the HD 750i bushes (better ride than Nolathane) off Ebay, there can be some oddball heater issues (resistor packs), but I've never had the problem, the plasma displays can loose pixels over time, and check the rear "dog bone" suspension bushes.

They are awesome fun at trackdays, they have huge grip for such a heavy car, yet with close to 50/50 weight balance, they drift progressively on the limit, and can be induced into oversteer on the throttle....heaps of fun

I wouldnt bother trying to modify the driveline, if you want to go faster, buy a 540i and do a manual conversion on it.

We just sold our 540i for $3600, you would be pushed to get a Schrick camshaft and valve springs for the M30 for that price, and that gets you 280 bhp, and a lighter engine

I will keep it as a 6 as I want it basically stock looking as I have my fun car with the Torana :)

Just after some info on what i could do... the exhaust is going to get a work over for sure.

When I get a couple of extra bux I might talk to my cam man and see what cam/springs are available and look for another head to get some more breath through it, I am not after huge gains just a modest gain would be good for now.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your exhaust manifold as hideous as the M20 one? Or is it nice

I am told these ones are like mini headers and are better designed than yours.

As its so dam tight on that side with the steering box its hard to see what they look like, I was going to arse the entire exhaust from the cat back as the size reduces, I just need to make sure its tidy and unbolts easy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
BMW exhausts tend to be pretty well designed for flow from the factory, i've been told by more than one person that all a larger seemingly higher flowing pipe does is make it louder, at the expense of a smooth torque curve.

Yep I have been told this now so have scrapped the idea, also something else is that this doesn't have a cat but a blank/hollow cat as this was not a requirement for NZ but they use the same exhaust layout.

This thing is a nice cruiser just the way it is so I guess I will just have to tinker with my Torana instead :)

• 3 months later...

I went to the recent drags but had a bad day and destroyed the flexi-disc lol

I did 16.1@88mph but as it was shuddering and wasn't pulling well so parked it and watched, I will be back to try and match my on road 15.15@95mph via a G-Tech which is 2/10 slower than BMW listed these cars in 1989.

flexi-disc.jpg

ouch, i've seen solid prop shaft bushings for sale on a dutch website

the E30/M20B20/5-speed i have got treated with a $500-max budget which yielded some modest improvements :-)

installed a megasquirt 2, wasted spark coil-pack from a V6 commodore, throttle position sensor (these M20/M30's have WOT switches) and borrowed a wideband O2 sensor to get VE tables tuned, just did the spark map on a spreadsheet and calculated values for 95 RON. i also get the impression the standard manifolds are hard to better, altho i've seen (GT-R?) slide-throttle ITB's on one M20...

the two hours at the dyno shop (which included 40mins for setup and teardown) didn't actually gain me much power!

5197382104_02d4c3729c_b_d.jpg

(i've since improved the off-idle torque and the flat-spot at ~3700)

when i do doughnuts in livs one of these, i sit at the intersection and start doing a burnout with the

brakes on which is fine, but when i start crawling forward with the brakes still mostly on and the wheels

turned the abs goes mental and essentially lets the brakes right off, and trys to make me crash into things, is this normal? (i havent driven any other rwd cars with abs)

I never noticed it but then I don't do skids on the street in it but will try this if I use it on the 13th which is the next Winter drags

@barf, I am beginning to think that BMW worked on these and unless I change a major part like cam or port the head then its not worth changing. It was rated at 155kW which is quite a bit less than my 202 powered Torana which I estimate 200-210kW but I love the flexible power and the 5 speed which works well with the soft ride. A cruiser and its quiet even at 100mph(160km/h)

535i with 5-speed Getrag manual transmission:

0–60 mph 7.5 s

1/4 mile @ 15.9 s

Top speed: 146 mph (235 km/h),

60-0 mph (97–0 km/h) in 130 feet (40 m)

IMHO the best thing to do with an E34 is to leave it standard. They just LOVE the open road.

Keep an eye on the heater operation. The heater taps are prone to failure but are fairly easy to replace.

I agree, these are pretty good cars for the price I reckon and I will leave stock as I already have a toy :)

Apparently most if not all NZ new ones had LSD like this one as standard fitment.

I agree, these are pretty good cars for the price I reckon and I will leave stock as I already have a toy :)

Apparently most if not all NZ new ones had LSD like this one as standard fitment.

never tried drag racing, would you be keen to give me e30 a go at ruapuna on the 13th? (assuming it's the pbdrc event?)

never tried drag racing, would you be keen to give me e30 a go at ruapuna on the 13th? (assuming it's the pbdrc event?)

Sounds like a go I'll meet you there :)

I may actually take both cars out for a play. No one will notice if I change it after a couple of runs lol as long as i get my arse into gear and get my gearbox in and pass a wof on the Torry.

cool, should be fun (and/or embarrassing) :D

i think your E34 will have the power/weight ratio advantage!

need to go back and get my WOF first, replaced a shock and bushing the other day

anyone know where to get cheap tyres? (14 inch)

• 8 months later...

This car is for sale.

Someone will get a good car. I have bought a new road project and this has to go to help pay for some upgrades, I have driven this daily and really enjoyed it, quiet powerful and comfortable. I bought this the day after the February earthquake.

Chassis and Engine BF00004 matching, it's a HD12 model and comes with high specs, New Zealand new 5-speed with non cat (empty cat) from the factory which gave the NZ new cars even more power than the imports. LSD standard and everything is quiet, these NZ new cars came with the M badge from new and were highly regarded. Less than 5000 manual 5 series made in the world.

I took this to the drags one day and went down the 1/4 in this in 15.5 with a dizzy cap missing the carbon center, I have since replaced it and immediately felt the difference.

This thing is very cruiser friendly and tidy for its age.

Just had a wheel alignment at Bridgestone Blenheim Road recently and drives very nice.