The offroad thread!

DodgySam

Here is my highly efficient liquid fossil to carbon converter.

ohUG0Zwl.jpg

06 Wrangler Sport with a 6" long arm lift, 35"s and a 1" body lift, Detroit locker in the rear and a OX locker in the front, 4.11 gears and Rubicon "Rock Crawling" ratio transfer case.

Doesn't have much speed/power but plenty of torque, there isn't much that I haven't made it through.

But now that the kiddies are getting older I will probably look at moving it on after winter and getting something LWB so I can start sharing the fun with them.

• Like 5

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jeep is lush! more pics plz!

mof did that bend the sammy much?

johnnyb - I hope you don't intend dailying those things! I'm told they're impossible to balance, and you wont get many kay emms out of them either on the road (plus it'll be sketchy as fuck with them on wet ashphalt lolz) 

also don't driv eon sand with them. you'll get stuck so easy. lolz. 

aside of that, lush! also, you wont break anything if you're not a rough cunt. people that break shit just by adding simex/silverstones ponyl break shit when they from zero traction to heaps in one quick sucession. something's got to give. 

did your kl71s last pretty well?

• Like 1

KL71's seemed to last alright I guess, I bought them 3/4 worn I suppose.

Would have 5mm left at least, estimated 20000km? Seemed like a pretty good all rounder, pretty OK on all surfaces. Don't really have much to compare them to.

Was thinking about selling the kuhmos to keltik wgile they've got a bit of meat on them and buying set of gross cheap AT's for daily work.

I'm way too lazy to be swapping sets of tyres though.

Ling post.

• Like 1

Hey Cam

Didn't bend anything! weverything went slow motion on the way over, I was thinking the door, f/g roof, windows!

ended up resting on front corner of bulbar and left rear tyre. but I still went home and made sill bars straight away

Ive got 31" kl71s now, should last forever with Suzuki weight on them

I had bfg's before these, driven daily lasted 7 years and sold them with 10mm+ tread!!

• Like 3

That looks like a heap of fun Mof!

more jeep pics and some woe.

I've owned the jeep for about 9months now, Its my first fourby and I actually didn't set out to by a jeep either.

A few weeks prior I rode shotgun in a mates Patrol and caught the bug. I decided that I wanted something SWB and started looking for a diesel Pajeroo. Everything I had seen was around the 30k bracket, far to rich for me but at this one yard they had a stock 65th anniversary jeep for 15k. It was a nope for sure but got me thinking.

When I was out with my mate, everywhere a lightly modified Pajeroo, patrol or landbruiser was having trouble this pack of stock jeeps were walking through.

So I found this jeep a few days later in the local trading paper, modified well and driving even better.

xxPOZcO.jpg

Picked it up a day later and drove home, that's where I found a monumental error on my part.

It was to tall to fit in the garage... Feck.

Garage opening was 2.05m and the jeep was 2.3m to the top of the light bar. Leaving it outside it not really an option in my area, things would start to go missing off it in a couple of days.

I quickly whipped the light bar off and dropped the tyre pressure down to 5psi, that let me crawl in to the garage.

JMZTOrbl.jpg

And gave me an idea for the number plate...

q2aAW73l.jpg

So I set out exploring the local landscape...

kG1FyJMh.jpg

RjWMdpAh.jpg

After about 2 months I destroyed the front DANA 30 ring and pinion climbing up a ledge. Rookie mistake, I feed a bit too much power in, bounce up over the ledge and landed full tit on the gripping tyres *ping* all was over.

So it sat in the garage for the last 6-7 months while I amassed parts to fix the diff. I also did some other maintenance items, new rotors, pads, new light bar mount and U-joints through out.

fbBetwWl.jpg

As it sits now, drives a bit nicer. Only thing left todo is get the actuator for the front locker. I'm tossing up between an electric one or manual. Price is about the same and about the same difficulty to install, hopefully that's done soonish.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

anyone after a pair of 33/10.5/15 silverstone extreme tyres, still have 17mm tread in the centre (20mm when brand new), have a few nicks etc on the lugs. Have been on my samurai but have sold the truck without the tyres so time for them to go. Looking around 900 for them ( $1800 new)

4mm centre

3mm sides

Over-eager pull on front hook bent the steel, so that's the main reason for the top bars (9mm exterior gusset)

Took measurements around winch (top photo) then drew up plans, the tricky part was drawing the side parts unfolded.

Got steel sheet from mate at Autobend, then got another mate at Hamilton jet to cut and bend, then I did the jigging and welding

it was in random fab thread I think

Edit: the gussets only go about 60mm up the risers, the rest is 3mm

Edit edit:bar weighs 35kg, winch 31kg.

mounted bottom to chassis rails, top mounted with 10mmx40mm bar to brackets sticking above rails half way up engine bay

What are they going on? those things love to break axles/cvs/diffsHad a few guys in the club get those, the only one that survived was the Safari

depends how you drive, yeah they are heavier bigger diameter and more grip (in some situations) which = more load/stress but ive not had an issue with crappy dana 30/35 in my jeep and i wail on it sometimes.

mostly dont press the wah wah pedal too much with the steering turned in tough situations and dont bounce if you can avoid it, esp when appying power. shock loadings and applying alot of load with the steering turned stresses cvs/unis the most.

and yeah solid axle hilux has a G in the front,as IFS only have an F. will be meke j5 just be judicious about how you fang it.

you might be dissapointed driving on the beach though, they tend to dig holes becaue of the wide lug spacing and generally road tyres or a/ts would be better in sand.

• 2 months later...

LOL, so anyway had the Simexs on for a short amount of time, and concluded that yeah. They were a bit wild/showy for my tame use/driving to the shops. 

Bought a new set of Hifly Vigorous MT's cause they were super cheap. 

Then chomped up the front diff crown wheel the first time I tried them. What?

Then failed to count diff ratio right and bought a 4.3 when I needed a 4.5. Amateur. 

But yeah, everything else seems in pretty good nick, is this a common failure for these?

IMG_20140924_184610.jpg