radiator hose bends for induction?....possible?

yoeddynz

I need two 50mm ID 90 degree bends to route my output from the turbo to the inlet manifold. I was thinking I could use radiator hose but as its a fuel charged mix, not just air, this could be a bit dodgy if I had a back fire etc. I went to super cheap (oooohhhhh the shame it it all) but all the silicone hoses are blue- I aint wearing that! I want black.

Can I use rad hose?

Any ideas? this is the setup..

231220103140.jpg

231220103139.jpg

A radiator hose is designed to handle 15psi of water pressure with a generous safety margin on top of that so the handling of the pressure should be OK (you setup looks reasonably low pressure)

The problem would be its solvent resistance..

If you are willing to carry a spare hose for when it does eventually shits itself then I say go for it and change hose when it does.

At least you will be able to report back to OS on the longevity of water hose resistance to petroleum based products.. :D

I reckon it would last a good 6 months to a year of moderately regular use.. perhaps even longer..

My reference is how radiator and heater hoses turn to jelly after a couple years of engine oil leaking on them..

I reckon an evo 4 up turbo outlet hose MIGHT work in that spot. It should be easy enough to find one pretty cheaply, sadly my google skills atr too shithouse to find you a picture of the hose i'm talking about...

I'd steer clear of the rad hose if at all possible..I'd say it would only a matter of time before it turns to cheese...

EDIT.. Go trademe..

87303044_full.jpg

cool- cheers. Those black ones are ideal....but.... this is the budget build. I'll need two bends I think and its hard to stomach spending $80 on two bits of pipe. It is so easy to access and remove the bends I reckon i'll try rad hose first- maybe take them off every so often to check if they are going cheesy. Trouble is 50mm is quite big hose for a radiator?

That evo setup looks like it could have bits that could be bodged to work. I'll try local wreckers and see what bits they have as well.

what is the material that OE manufacturers use on cars? is it some blend halfway between silicone and radiator hose material?

if you put a rubber hose there it will collapse under vacuum cause its a suck-tho setup, so has high vacuum between the throttle and the inlet, it will expand again under boost but looks dodgy when you open the hood and see a hose all sucked in... it never stopped mine from working but i changed as soon as i saw it

much better to make a metal pipe from offcuts and use a small piece of straight hose on each end.

and yea truck/tractor rad hose is normally available in some pretty tough black stuff that looks like proper intercooler stuff

• 2 weeks later...