Mikuni's 1981 Commodore

mikuni

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good yo, how they bands come out from Bateman? Happy with quality, polishing, time, money etc?

Also you going to weld the wheels back up or seal up? If sealing up you may have trouble with only using a few bolts to start/fit tyre. After sealing mine mutiple times I have found the following is the best way to ensure a seal. Put decent goo on as gasket, then let set for a 15mins or so. Next put rims together and do up every second one but only just do em enough to touch the beads together. Then go around and nip up every 2nd bolt... using a wet finger run the bead around the rim split... then let settle over night. Next day torque up bolts.. some kind of star pattern around the rim I think is a good idea.

Just realised you prob just mean to dummy the tyres on and you will take tyre back of any seal after.

Gaz

Happy with Batemans so far. Only picked them up about an hour ago though, so I'll know more once checking the mounting faces etc, machining, drilling etc. I'm going to chuck up a thread with details on whats needed as far as measurements, pricing and contact details. The question of widening 3 piece alloys gets asked a lot and in my opinion, Batemans is the best answer to the question.

Cheers for advice on sealing them up. Gavin also put me on to a good sealer to use, so hopefully they all seal up first time around. I am a bit nervous about that side of things, but it should be sweet if I take my time (lol).

Happy with Batemans so far. Only picked them up about an hour ago though, so I'll know more once checking the mounting faces etc, machining, drilling etc. I'm going to chuck up a thread with details on whats needed as far as measurements, pricing and contact details. The question of widening 3 piece alloys gets asked a lot and in my opinion, Batemans is the best answer to the question.

Cheers for advice on sealing them up. Gavin also put me on to a good sealer to use, so hopefully they all seal up first time around. I am a bit nervous about that side of things, but it should be sweet if I take my time (lol).

Good stuff thats thread will be mega helpfull.

Whats goo did he recomend using and did he mention a torque for the through bolts?

Gaz

It was very, very hard to find the grill. Only about a year ago they could be brough brand new on Ebay and I thought it wouldn't be an issue getting hold of one, but they no longer make them so I had 2 different companies looking along with a private guy from Greece. I was going to swap him 2 Holden grills for an Opel one. Just as I was sorting that out one of the companies got back to me saying they had found a second hand one for 100 Euros then another company said they can supply a brand new one shipped to NZ for 140 Euros, which I went with. It only took about 10 days to get here from Holland - it took longer to get from Auckland to Hamilton than it did to get from Holland to Auckland.

still have contact? and would they have more? have wanted to get one of these for my one.. just to fuck with all the holden fans round here.. "nice commodore, wait what? opel?!" muahaha

love the car bro :P good to see more of these popping up, mechanics are hoping to fire mine up tomorrow for first time *fingers crossed

maybe commy cruise in welly this summer yeah?

^ cheers for suggestion/thought you were trollin. Funny thing is, I've done some wheels in the past that were quite a similar colour but it was accidental. :lol:

whats the wheel specs? they look sick as mate

sick as aids/fulley siek/hecktic as/etc

The front are original 16x9 +20 and the rears are 16x9.5 +2 I think (we just worked it out but could have done the calcs wrong.)

The front are original 16x9 +20 and the rears are 16x9.5 +2 I think (we just worked it out but could have done the calcs wrong.)

lol, turns out I bolted them together wrong so the front is something around 16x8.5 +14 and the rear are 16x10 +8. Again, I probably have the offset wrong but it probably something around that. I used the wide inner shells with the wide outer shells for the rear, but I'm actually happy because having 10 inch rears is pretty cool. They have 215/40/16 on them too :lol:

Will update thread at some stage.

suppose it doesnt really matter what size they are, as long as they are badass. which they are.

did you find them are tardme? am keen for your thread on how to go about wideneing them etc thorugh batemans.

I have a plan which involes rs's or similar...haha