leaning towards 1 uz really as they sound awesome and you're a tech head

and pushrods wouldn't really cut it on those rims

just add opel rocker covers or something

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon an LS1 would look the part in the commodore, they are a pretty sweet motor for what they are - smaller, lighter, more power and torque than a 1UZ and billions of aftermarket parts out there for them - except they are damn expensive to buy to begin with!

Ls1 motor have pretty shit injection, just two drivers, so it fires all four to get gas into one cylinder on one bank, then all four injectors on the other side .. etc... etc.

least 1uz's are paired or sequential if you get a post 95' motor.

spam - its moot point

Idiom Definitions for 'Moot point'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If something's a moot point, there's some disagreement about it: a debatable point. In the U.S., this expression usually means that there is no point in debating something, because it just doesn't matter. An example: If you are arguing over whether to go the beach or to the park, but you find out the car won't start and you can't go anywhere, then the destination is said to be a moot point.

• 2 months later...

Cheers for the link. Local too. Maybe I'll investigate, as he is open to offers.

I'd pay extra for everything without the car, considering it means I that I won't have yet another car sitting around my house (I have 6 cars at the moment). It seems to be missing k-frame and fuel tank though. At least k-frame would need to be included.

Don't have money to tackle any sort of conversion on this any time soon though, despite the fact it really does need more power and less tapping/ticking.

K-frame ain't no thing really though - surely plenty of bogans in Hamiltonia are ripping out their RB's for a pushrod engine of the V inclination/Kelvin may be able to help

Fuel tank could be a bit of a prob - but if you run a decent size surge tank up under the bonnet you could avoid that hassle..

Edit - Actually if you like I will gift you my spare 202/308/350 K-frame and you can swap it with the guy selling the RB for his RB spec K-frame, cos he is doing a V8 conversion from memory..

My idea is to swap my tank with someone doing a carbed V8 conversion, win/win etc. And yeah, for $1000 it would need to come with everything required including k-frame because you end up getting stung if you start chasing individual parts etc. He won'd be needing the k-frame anyway because it is unique to the RB engine.

ps Summer cruising was sweet with the starfire. After new year mission up the coast and doing 1000km I decided the starfire was ok for now and will stay put..... until the weekend just gone when I towed a trailer across to Tauranga and then to Hawks Bay and back - I was doing 40km/h up some hills with the trailer loaded (engine and engine crane, so a bit of weight) - so good bye it is to the starfire, some time after OS Nats and before next Summer hopefully.

Yeah you could swap your tank for his tank... valid point son..

Also get the front half of the driveshaft - he can't use it on his conversion and the back halfs are dependent on what diff you use..

Unless he is doing an injected V8 conversion which in that case he would need his tank - Also I edited my above post with an offer for you..

Oooo I do like the edit. Damn you kk for helping/encouraging me to modify my car when I had decided that I was going to keep it as is until I get my track car going.

edit: also for the V8 discussion that I somehow missed while I was overseas, as much as an 8 would be sweet, its a little bit done with Holdens. The 1UZ does make sense with the direction I'm heading in, but if I were to spend the sort of money required to get a sweet 8 in there, I would likely opt for a larger capacity Opel twincam straight 6 - I could get am Irmscher block from Euroland and have a 4 litre twincam 6 running in excess of 300bhp with only light tuning. That would suit this car to a tee I reckon, with a 5 speed getrag tucked in behind it. 8)