2 Strokes, whats the biggest, badest / easist??

Seedy Al

So, a project in my head is to build something 2 stroke, not a bike, but a vehicle with a bike / similar engine in it

however my education on what bikes etc have what sized motors is minimal. So what would be the best, biggest and easiest to get parts for?

I original wanted to try a snow mobile motor, however the price to get over here is probabaly not worth the money to be honest. So will settle for a bike motor.

so what are my options?

Cedric

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A straight 6, 150HP Mercury outboard powerhead for $200 or so is in your future

Ugh, this is exactly what popped into my head upon reading thread title.

Dad raced in the car club with a guy who had a fronte with a big two smoke outboard in the back.

Apparently it was super fast but a complete and utter hand grenade.

Awesome.

Do it.

EDIT: Also, find a snow mobile motor in Craigslist and I can get it here cheap.

CDL has a a point, in that outboards are designed to run pretty bloody cold and at roughly zero cooling system pressure, as they have unlimited coolant.

This is no reason to give up though, but I will be a little sensible and say that the straight 6 motors are bloody old and tall so a V6 would be better

Holey hell outboards are expensive!

Yeah cooling would be an issue, but could work round that.

Didnt Suzuki have a 650 (or something stupid) single cyl 2stroke back in the day?

Join two 250mx bike motors together.

Or one on each wheel.

Just throwin it out there haha.

Didnt Suzuki have a 650 (or something stupid) single cyl 2stroke back in the day?

Not that I recall, but they did do a 750cc two stroke triple we used to call the Waterbus. Liquid cooled thing from around the mid '70s that weighed about a gazzilion heavinesses.

The big singles were usually motor-cross bikes and they topped out around the 500cc mark (and were utterly terrifying)

Kawasaki h (aka widowmakers) series motors are modular (with substantial work) i've heard of up to 7 cylinders being joined together on a custom crank, but making a 1000cc 4 cylinder is more common than anything ese. H1's are 500 triples, h2's are 750cc triples, they are air cooled. And sound glorious with stainless expansion chambers...

The suzuki triples had both water and air cooled iterants, but the gt750 (waterbus, waterbuffalo, or kettle) was only ever watercooled.

There was also the yamaha tzr750 that kenny roberts used to spank all the harleys in flat tracking in the '70s but i have a feeling that was a custom built motor.

I seem to recall a ridiculously large 2 stroke single of around the 650cc size, but i can't put my finger on it. Anyway imagine trying to start that bastard...

I would steer clear of older road Bike 2 strokes, they are pretty ahsmatic in design, a modern CR or KX 500 will make allot more power. Heaps of real powerful 2 stroke jetski's out there, but again you will have to figure out cooling and they would cost a packet

a starlet with big outboard motor/expansion chambers would be awesome. Like a rotary but probably more annoying for everyone. ningningningning+blue smoke clouds

Holy crap that just blows my mind. My vote definitely goes to large capacity, cheap old outboard in need of rebuilt, with zero exhaust. They just sounds so amazingly awesome when started out of the water, putting that in a car would be so sweet.

I've spent many hours years ago trying to pester wayne into putting an outboard motor into a Daihatsu hijet/Suzuki equivlent mini van. Apparently he had looked into the cooling issues and said a rebuild to tighter tollerances would result in the motor being much easier to cool.

Regardless though, surely it would be possible with just a huge, multicore radiator, possbly even a couple to really get the temperature of the water down, just seperate them by 15-20mm or so to keep the thermal conduction down between the cores, so the front radiator runs much cooler than the rear one.

Can you get motorbike gearboxes that are seperate to the crankcase? Might be a good option for a transmission to suit the torque delivery of a massive 2 smoke.

Please do this!

Can you get motorbike gearboxes that are seperate to the crankcase? Might be a good option for a transmission to suit the torque delivery of a massive 2 smoke.

Harleys, some BMWs and probably quite a few others, the mint thing with that idea is the clutch is normally on the input shaft of the box so that would save having to adapt one to the engine.