K-Trips 1982 Holden Commodore VH Discussion

KKtrips

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LoLlife said:

Excellent werk my guy..... Can't wait to see this hooning again. Can really hear the energy polarizer doing it's thing in that idle. 

I'm putting the Chris into Energy Polarizing Crystals...

https://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/s3/digital-cougar-assets/momo-media/16984954/peter-brock-polariser.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

goodshit on getting some progress and getting it closer to the finish. 

Im not sure if your aware but edelbrock make a fuel fitting from the carb to a 90 that comes out the front which softline goes straight on. or they do a fuel filter fitting end version too 

also if the fuel filter you have is the clear glass/plastic jobbie from speed shops ive seen them blow apart which isn't good and they are really restrictive. once you open them as from memory you can unscrew them and see how shit they are. 

Any car i worked on that was getting fuel or engine related work on would get them taken off and a steel one fitted. or the customer was told about those filters.

not that im telling you how to build your own car. just some advice if you weren't already aware

has a nice lope to it too  

11 minutes ago, piazzanoob said:

goodshit on getting some progress and getting it closer to the finish. 

Im not sure if your aware but edelbrock make a fuel fitting from the carb to a 90 that comes out the front which softline goes straight on. or they do a fuel filter fitting end version too 

also if the fuel filter you have is the clear glass/plastic jobbie from speed shops ive seen them blow apart which isn't good and they are really restrictive. once you open them as from memory you can unscrew them and see how shit they are. 

Any car i worked on that was getting fuel or engine related work on would get them taken off and a steel one fitted. or the customer was told about those filters.

not that im telling you how to build your own car. just some advice if you weren't already aware

has a nice lope to it too  

Not sure what you mean by the 90 degree fitting on the carb. Got a link?

Also Joe said the same thing to me earlier today so yes I do now plan to replace the glass filter. I have it fitted for now just to keep an eye on the fuel, the tank has been 10% full for 7 years and who knows how much surface rust formed on the top of the tank.

I have a big fuel injection type fuel filter at the back of the car before the fuel pump but I still want to see if any crap is getting through from the tank and the glass filter is the easiest way to watch.  

After I've jammed a couple of tanks of fuel through I'll ditch the glass filter and replace it with an anti return valve.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KKtrips said:

Not sure what you mean by the 90 degree fitting on the carb. Got a link?

Also Joe said the same thing to me earlier today so yes I do now plan to replace the glass filter. I have it fitted for now just to keep an eye on the fuel, the tank has been 10% full for 7 years and who knows how much surface rust formed on the top of the tank.

I have a big fuel injection type fuel filter at the back of the car before the fuel pump but I still want to see if any crap is getting through from the tank and the glass filter is the easiest way to watch.  

After I've jammed a couple of tanks of fuel through I'll ditch the glass filter and replace it with an anti return valve.  

https://www.edelbrock.com/chrome-steel-fuel-line-with-3-8-barbed-end-inlet-and-wothout-fuel-filter-8126.html

Can add a pressure gauge into these too. im not sure if they do a 5/16 barbed end or not possibly just 3/8 but im guessing you ran 3/8 line anyway 

https://www.edelbrock.com/black-steel-fuel-line-filter-kit-fo-eps-carbs-81343.html

https://www.staparts.co.nz/Search-For-Products?time=8.0074 

if you wanted one that you can add a filter too. 

Im sure there is also other manufacturers of the same thing around also. comes down to how much you really want to spend 

ive had radiator shops clean fuel tanks for me in the past and can pressure test them also. last one i got done last year was 150 from a shop in auckland.

yeah those filters are nice that you can see if fuel is there or clean. the injection filter will be good as is a much smaller micron filter than a carb one 

im not sure how much an anti return valve will help but would be interesting to know. if electric pump it probably doesn't matter to much either. bad thing is edelbrock carbs evaporate fuel much quicker than a holley. so can't see the valve helping as they vent from the bowls   

most vehicles that have had fuel issues when sitting i just fitted a small low pressure pump before the mechanical pump to prime the system. but they just need to be fitted low enough that they are at the bottom of the tank height as they are not designed to suck or last long working like that.

me personally are a fan of a mechanical pump over electric as less likely to have problems. but when running big power and need more fuel that's a different story.  

No worries @Flash. FYI, the wheel has a brilliant "feel" under your hand when driving so 10/10 for that, but 3/10 for installation ease, it is a CUNT of a thing to install, the wheel bosses have 2 PCD's and you have to bolt up the steering wheel, the steel ring that retains the horn button and the polished alloy cover all together using tiny pan head bolts, all while making sure it is into the right set of holes, you'll need to dismantle it all to realign the steering wheel (can't just pop out the horn centre to access the centre nut) so make sure you have all the straight ahead position set up the first time you install it so you don't have to install it twice.

Also I just got it back from the alignment shop, it drives like a freaking dream now, and I calibrated the speedo on the way home so it is not telling me lies any more.

Next step, WoF

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Goat said:

Hows the steering?

Also, man this sounds tough IRL

Its great, still a bit heavier than I would like with my weak ass arms but about 3.04 times better than it was. I think as the rack wears in and the balljoints and tierod ends bed in, it will get much better. I parked it back in the carport just before and it was so much easier than yesterday when you watched me struggle. LeL

The wheel alignment guy said it had low caster on one side and about the right amount on the other, so he has dialled in more caster on one side, which I did not expect, and it had 2.5 degrees of camber on both sides which he pulled back to 1.5 per side. The toe was also out miles to start with, but I kinda knew that would be the case.

But believe it or not, I think the big culprit was the tyre pressures, they were set as 10psi... Even the wheel alignment guy was surprised because they looked fully inflated.  (I now don't trust the gauge at the workshop) Go figure..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KKtrips said:

But believe it or not, I think the big culprit was the tyre pressures, they were set as 10psi... Even the wheel alignment guy was surprised because they looked fully inflated.  (I now don't trust the gauge at the workshop) Go figure..

Whaaat!?

I put them up to 34ish with that gauge! They were all low too!. Must have been like 5psi in them before. hah.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goat said:

Whaaat!?

I put them up to 34ish with that gauge! They were all low too!. Must have been like 5psi in them before. hah.

I know, right. You can clearly see in the picture I took yesterday that the tyres are not flat at the bottom.