fuzzayD's swamp monster

tortron

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i reckon you should have a crack at getting it going and fix it up a bit. what you learn will help you when you get a project that is actually worth doing.

it looks pretty bad though... got any recent pics?? like some where there is more car than plant/moss?

sheepers.

Thanks I like the swamp monster title, It can be the cars name.

when i took my morry home i got asked if i pulled it out of a swamp

were your goals to put it on the road?

rego on hold? would probably make the project alot more worthwhile if it were. How bad is the rust?

Honestly think you would send more money finding/buying/installing the new gaurds, bonnet and anything else needed than you would spend on a new one in better condition. Could always buy one with no plates etc as they are cheap as.

Gaz

I'm quite keen on driving it round dirty to get a wof, but maybe i should get my gf to clean it .

Yeah i want to get it on the road. The rego's on hold. The places where there is rust like the firewall side under front guards has made holes but everywhere else like sides of bonnet and doors the rust is quite minimal the car seems to have like a wax coating underneath it which has cracks in it so it makes it hard to see if there's tears in the floor pan or the wax coating is just shedding off.

I live in Christchurch, maybe i will see about buying Phils.

I know these aren't cult classics or anything but I got it for myself not to sell off for a higher price someday

I'm looking into getting some skills in fiber glassing to create my own guards and bonnet. But until then it'll be a bash n bog.

Hopefully I'm as pro weld as i think i am with my $80 weld it yourself bitch kit from supercheap.

Oh lol, was txt this car by a few people, told I should look at it, as much as I like viva's - its well got a mazda motor, and needs a clean, plus I've already got one vauxhall to sort..

I reckon give it a good clean then see where its at..

I know where theres a mint magnum, but you wouldnt be buying this one to reshell/repower it.. far superior in every aspect..

On that note, theres a mint Viva Magnum in a classic car sales on moorhouse ave (hagley park end) cept they want about 5k for it..

Probably the highlight is the certification papers just state that is has a mazda 1300cc motor so i could probably chuck a 13b in there and get away with it.

Not that i have one but have noticed a few rotor motors poping up on tardme

Cleaning it is the last thing you should do! Pump up your tyres and roll, let the wind pull the sludge off.

Mind you go for a wof as is they'll likely ask you to clean it and come back, Ive had that happen...

the dirt looks sweet... clearcoat that shit! Can't hurt to play, I'd minimise spending on it till you get a real good idea.

Out of your box of shiny new tools get your biggest rust search and destrot tool (screwdriver) and start poking it violently at the cracked waxy shit. If it goes in easily to the hilt time after time in many random spots then it may be too far gone, but could make for a mint paddock basher and a small pile of parts for a minter body that is out there somewhere...