better cooling?

Ke36

hey guys im having some trouble with my car heating up during b-owts and it hitting a temp related rev/boost cut real easy

not good coz i wanna huss the bags at nats coming up :lol:

so anyone got ideas on how to make my cooling system better while stationary?

its allready got a new 3 row lancer turbo rad

14inch fan mounted hard against the core (cant fit anything larger on there, the 14 just fits)

im thinking of raising the rear of the bonnet a bit to allow ir to flow out a bit better?

also making up a shroud to incase the whole of the radiator so the fan is pulling air from all over it

like this mvc401smq2.jpg

just worried to how this would effect open road driving?

my cooling system performs mint everywhere else its just doing skids it packs a sad quick

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shroud shouldn't affect it negatively as cars tend to have them stock anyway. It should improve the cooling a bit while stationary as the fan will draw the air over the whole radiator.

Is your fan electric or belt? Generally the belt fans are better as they are a lot beefier and can push more air.

Shroud shouldn't affect it as cars tend to have them stock anyway. Is your fan electric or belt? Generally the belt fans are better as they are a lot beefier and can push more air.

:rolleyes:

Shroud DOES affect it. Use a shroud! It forces the air through the exchanger. If possible block other free/empty space on the sides etc. as well. It won't adversely affect your open road driving, at least not to a point of concern. If you were really worried about drag co-efficient you'd not have started with a Lancer. :P

Generally you'll want your shroud to be angled slightly to direct the air towards the fan also, I guess that comes down to how much room you have though really.

Do your radiator/cooling tubes flow past the exh. manifold side? If so, try heat wrapping on both the turbo and the fluid pipes. Alternatively directly flow further from the turbo.

its a electric fan cant run a belt one as no room and its a vr4 engine in ex lancer

ive basically got the biggest rad i can fit in there no room either side really

the core is roughly 475mm by 350mm , and im hesitant to change it as it cost me almost $500

ive got 50/50 water coolant at the mo does that water wetter shit actually work?

yea cars run shrouds factory, are the newer shrouds on cars that blocked off?im only used to seeing older cars with clutch fans and half shrouds but i think newer cars have full cover shoruds correct?

im basically limited by the fact ive got fuck all room :lol: so the shroud would only be able to be around 10mm deep not allow much area behind the core before the air hits the metal then has to go through the hole where the fan is

EDIT:cos ky got in before me :D

i think yowz meant as in it wont effect my temps/flow through rad when driving

pipes dont go near the exhuast but the one from the rear of the head goes right under the inlet manifold/next to the block

i think my cooling sytem is adequate as it rules while moving and when stopped it traffic the fan is able to take temps down well enough to turn off after a short while, it just doesnt seem to keep up when giving it assholes

second edit cos req got in too :lol:

cant fit a fan on front as intercooler is there

Try less coolant and more water. If it was me, I'd even just run straight water if it was for a one-off competition or something and drain it afterwards. Coolant has a way shitter heat transfer coefficient and specific heat capacity than plain water.

This advice may be poos though as I have no experience doing enormous b-outs.

Shroud shouldn't affect it as cars tend to have them stock anyway. Is your fan electric or belt? Generally the belt fans are better as they are a lot beefier and can push more air.

:rolleyes:

Shroud DOES affect it. Use a shroud! It forces the air through the exchanger. If possible block other free/empty space on the sides etc. as well. It won't adversely affect your open road driving, at least not to a point of concern. If you were really worried about drag co-efficient you'd not have started with a Lancer. :P

Ha yeah thats what I was going for. What I meant is it doesn't affect open road driving. Didn't realize you quoted me before I edited it

But if the car is reving when doing a burnout then shouldnt the pump be going hard anyways. Tho, EWP prob a good idea.

electronic water pump is a waste of time/money. Good if you like to drive really slow with low revs

But if the car is reving when doing a burnout then shouldnt the pump be going hard anyways. Tho, EWP prob a good idea.

electronic water pump is a waste of time/money. Good if you like to drive really slow with low revs

but they seem to work mega sweet in race cars etc?

fair enough. Seems like something that would be a waste. Motor is revving so turning waterpump at a hell of a rate of knots so would assume it would be the same sorta throughput(ish)

Race cars change revs lots though so not a very even flow. When sitting near the rev limiter all during skid, it'll be nice and even. Also, if race cars dont run alt, running EWP = better performance (miniscule)

Solving cooling issues often seem to be like dogs chasing their tails.

Zep had cooling issues with a turbo'd Isuzu Gemini engine. A similar thread to this but with 3 pages of abuse. :)

He was running a rebuilt engine with acid dipped block, massive custom (brand new) radiator, electric fan etc. Everything seem'd like it should be sweet but it was overheating under boost.

Ended up that when he put it all back together the system was flushed except for the heater core, which was full of shit. This shit subsquently clogged the radiator and resulted in insufficient cooling.

My newly rebuilt 2 litre engine has an average sized radiator which recieves cool air through a chevette grill (must be one of the smaller surface areas of most cars), with a 13" (I think) electric fan in the front - one from a FWD Nissan or something with a small shroud. The van virtually never turns on because the cooling system works well.

Your's should do the same as both of the above. Just because its a turbo engine I don't think it should need any super crazy aftermarket electric water pump, a 16 gallon radiator, or 7 cooling fans spining at 72000rpm. Even when doing epic b-owts OR hussing said bags.