Ke36

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

arrrrgggh

the whole idea of an Electric Water Pump is that it pumps

80litres or 120 litres of water PER MINUTE!!

compared to a standard water pump which does feck all

plus when motor is at max revs or close to it the water pump ends up cavitating and just slushing the water around rather then pumping it due to it spinning like crazy..

definitly EWP = win

or atleast find out how much flow your standard shitty pump has then compare it to a EWP :D

Ive always been told that if you flow too much water thru the rad it doesnt have time to cool it. Aparently more flow isnt always the answer, this sounbds true to me but could be porkies as Ive never tried.

arrrrgggh

the whole idea of an Electric Water Pump is that it pumps

80litres or 120 litres of water PER MINUTE!!

compared to a standard water pump which does feck all

plus when motor is at max revs or close to it the water pump ends up cavitating and just slushing the water around rather then pumping it due to it spinning like crazy..

definitly EWP = win

or atleast find out how much flow your standard shitty pump has then compare it to a EWP :D

lots of cars have "standard shitty pumps" and they all seem to work perfectly well for cooling.

I can imagine that in this case the pump or flow isn't the issue and that wasting money on an EWP to solve it, won't fix a thing.

Ive always been told that if you flow too much water thru the rad it doesnt have time to cool it. Aparently more flow isnt always the answer, this sounbds true to me but could be porkies as Ive never tried.

This would be even more true when doing burnouts as theirs not as mush air being pulled through the radiator as driving. So it'd just be pushing massive amounts of hot water through the radiator but not being able to cool it. But i'm guessing the only way you'll find out is by trial and error.

I think an electric water pump is more for being able to pump coolant through the block while the engine is shut down, and to perhaps reduce load on the motor by one less ancillary to drive.

yea as far as im aware thats the reason for them, pumping water faster doesnt cool your car better unless ur pump is not sufficent, the longer the water stays in the block the hotter it gets for sure, but if ur pumping it through the block faster then your pumping it through the rad faster too which means less time to cool

i made a meke as shroud at work today went to fit it and now my fan touches my front pulley!!!

the shroud only sits like 20mm off the rad core too

im not sure if making one 10mm deep will allow enough air to flow through the core??

Have done this on race cars running pretty much max revs all the time.

Grind evet second vane off the waterpump. Massive gains on my old RX4 which cooked quite regular prior to the mod....

doesnt an engine thats retarded run hotter?

not to my knowledge....

nah most new ecu's will add some retards into you spark plugs when the temperatures get hothot

when the ignition is advanced your engine is basicaly compressing an already expanding mass which generates more heat

thats the best i can explain anyway

take your bonnet off and turn ya heater on :lol: is your manifold/dump pipe hpc coated or wrapped to lessen the heat dissipation from the it? turbo beanie maybe? get as much heat out of the engine bay so you can drag cool air through it. hows ya oil temp layin down a descent patch?

Just a thought, how are your water lines set up? being that the engine was not configured as a longitudinal mount and that several things need changing to make it rwd, perhaps looking at the bits that aren't as designed by the factory could give you some idea of what's not working.

Where's the thermostat in your system? do you have areas in your piping that could be airlocked?

Also water wetter does essentially the same thing as adding detergent to your system, ie reduces surface tension allowing better heat transfer from metal to the water.

Cheers, Dan

If to retardard then yes. I think said person just means drop it a little.

Gaz

yes thats what i meant, like wind it back 3 or 4 degrees. Running a retarded ignition is exactly what it says on the tin

can't see a retarded ignition getting hot, wouldn't it just be flat and powerless and throw heaps of unburnt fuel out the exhaust?

only experience ive had did that i never ran it long enough to get hot

What's on the other side of the rad?

intercooler

take your bonnet off and turn ya heater on is your manifold/dump pipe hpc coated or wrapped to lessen the heat dissipation from the it? turbo beanie maybe? get as much heat out of the engine bay so you can drag cool air through it. hows ya oil temp layin down a descent patch?

guna space the bonnet

exhaust manifold and dump pipe are wrapped and turbo has a beanie :lol:

Just a thought, how are your water lines set up? being that the engine was not configured as a longitudinal mount and that several things need changing to make it rwd, perhaps looking at the bits that aren't as designed by the factory could give you some idea of what's not working.

Where's the thermostat in your system? do you have areas in your piping that could be airlocked?

Also water wetter does essentially the same thing as adding detergent to your system, ie reduces surface tension allowing better heat transfer from metal to the water.

Cheers, Dan

im running the line from the rear of the head under the inlet manifold with the thermo housing sitting just by the throttle

lines are the same size as a vr4 basically

no airlock as runs fine temp everywhere else

i have run the heater pipes from the rear of the water pump to the thermo housing to premote flow when the cars cold so the water doesnt get trapped in the head with the thermo being so far away, was possibly thinking maybe this doesnt help as when the car heats up its just circulating a decent quantity of water that never gets cooled?