Chev/Holden v8 + Ta23 Celica

MrMcdoll

Hey guys,

I'm seriously over electrical crap in my car, and planning on changing motors & ever since i had my hilux, i was dead set on putting a small block chev or holden V8 in it.

A drunk bitch wrote it off though, so that plan has been modified to include my Celica.

Anyone have any info on such a conversion, or know of anyone who's done it?

I'm pretty confident that there'll be enough room in the engine bay to fit say a 308, i know that the engine needs to be kinda narrow, but i don't know a whole lot about the angles on the heads of various V8s. If someone could let me know which one would be best, that'd be grand!

I kinda figured that the swap would be fairly straight forward regarding fitment, but i'm not sure how the engine would fit around steering etc.

i already have a W55 in the car, and castlemaine rods do both adapters and bellhousings, but does anyone know where i could get mounts fabbed?

i guess really i'd just like some info from someone who'd be in the know around these matters (1uz conversion guys even) - after all, surely it can't be harder than a lexy 8 can it?

:) cheers guys.

ps. happy New Years, hope yours were as gangsta as mine!

Edz!

I'm disappointed!

Please for the love of god, do NOT put a dirty crappy old Holden pushrod V8 in there.. you'll probably get less power from it than what your 3T turbo has, and Holden V8s don't even sound nice either!

If you must V8 it, stick to toyota and 1UZ it. The UZ is cheap, packs alot of punch for its size, is really smooth, and best of all isn't a crappy Holden V8. There's plenty of us who have put UZs into different cars, wiring one up isn't *that* hard at all, and you'ld have alot more support for troubleshooting for a UZ than you would for a Holden V8 on here...

What I would do if I were looking at a conversion like this is search the net for similar conversions and see what they had to cut and how they mounted the engine.

First off its probably good to try and find some dimensions on the motor. I had a quick search but couldn't find anything.

Or go and talk to someone like these cunts

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&hl=en ... 2590930695

I don't know if they would be best but they build heaps of 8 shit, so atleast you could do a quick measure up of one of their setups and see if mounting points will approximately line up and see if they motor will fit and clear all the steering shit.

Also, weigh up what you have already with a converted turbo oldschool car thats pretty cool and worth quite a bit of money. If you want to build a chev V8 powered vehicle you will basically be starting from scratch, so is it worth beginning with a better starting point. I mean you could sell the Celica for what you can get, then pick up a shell of something for a grand or so (depending on what it is) and start with that, therefore not wasting money pulling a good motor out of your exisiting car.

if you put one of hose shit boat anchors in your TA23 i will personally kick you in the nuts.

im doing a 1UZ into an RA28, fitting the motor and box is no biggie, there is plenty of wire info around if your prepared to look and im sure spencer could help you.

the project thread is in my sig, click it, learn, do it.

NO TO SHIT MOTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sheepers.

Yeh, a 1uz was my original choice when my hilux 3y died, but i've heard that all the electrics etc can be a bit of a financial nightmare when it comes to wiring up time if you're running a W55/57/58.

I got plenty of time to weigh up different motor choices, or just go with a straight rebuild of the 3tgte, while i suss the rust and panel work.

I'm just not too down with injected motors aye, give me carbs anyday - if something goes wrong you just need a hammer to fix it!

Honestly you guys crack me up aye, I can just imagine the look of disgust on Phils face when he read my post - but i spose you're right after all tho bro (plus i know you'd prolli just give me a beating next time i see you if i did go aussie v8).

and Google maps eh brad? Now THATS ingenuity!

Churr aye, i think you've talked me out of it then guys - maybe Lexus V8 if i do decide on an 8-cylinder repower for the beast cos the 3t is running pretty shit lately aye.

its randomly revving high at idle sometimes, hesitating majorly under boost, and on occasion just plain shorting out somewhere. mind you, the electrics are a mess - ecu is in a jeans west bag in the passenger footwell and theres spliced and taped wires everywhere!

also, i think its either had or is having h/gasket failure as theres a bit of oil seeping into the radiator and it smokes hard out.

so yeh, kinda on its last legs i think, i might just take the engine out altogether while i repaint the car and then go from there!

Don't listen to these haters Chev V8 would be awesome.. not a usual choice for a Celica though so you'll always get jap lovers giving you shit about having a v8 in there. do what you want man.

BUT STAY AWAY FROM CASTLEMAINE ROD SHOP.

they suck. hard.

Nothing ever fits and they burnt me on some extractors for my capri to suit a 302

they were the worst quality I'd ever seen, cost me a fortune, and didn't even fit.

I honestly chopped them up and threw them away and got them remade locally

for a fraction of the cost.

What about a tunnel rammed 1UZ?? 2x 4barrels stickn out ya bonnet!

Holden V8s don't even sound nice either!

My holden 5lt sounded awesome. It only had a flowmaster muffler cut at the diff. 308/304's can be a very revvy engine when you throw some money at them. Alot of "off the shelf" parts. The aussies love putting two hairdryers on these engines and getting good results too. 1000+ bhp

still a boat anchor motor with no refinement and will just be silly in a TA23 Celica which is all about cutting edge technology (at the time).

A 1UZ on throttlebodies just sounds amazing, no way a crappy Holden motor is going to sound like these:

still a boat anchor motor with no refinement and will just be silly in a TA23 Celica which is all about cutting edge technology (at the time).

A 1UZ on throttlebodies just sounds amazing, no way a crappy Holden motor is going to sound like these:

kthxbai

id slam a 308 they sound awes , id also slam a 1uz just as hard

308 fits in the 910 nicely sitting there with a supra box not too long ago

both engine have heaps of aftermarket parts avalible its just up to you wether you want a filthy 8 or a more refined one lol

I also vote for UZ, but what about the 3.8 V6? I can;t remember if they're decent or shit, but RWD already could be win

i reckon they are win , but i wouldnt bust my ass tryna fit one fo those in when for the same amunt of trouble you could fit the 308 or 1uz

it's a power balance issue really,

holden v8s can be made to sing are heavy wide and have heaps of parts availible,

chev v8s as crates are availible with alloy blocks provision for a four barrel and produce

a decent amout of power and are lighter and narrower than above,

a uz is quad cam 32 valves and sounds like a nascar standard but they are a wider v than a chev and would be similar size to a 308,

a dirty old rover is by far the narrowest but are a money pit(i know you have to be twisted to build one)

realistically any conversion is going to cost 10 g and upwards going from 4 to eight,

a rebuild and bigger turbo and someone to rewire a less munted loom might cost you half

and won't be detrimental to the handling of your car.

But if you're stubborn like me weigh up what will fit where it will mount what needs modifying and how easy it is to get parts and then the cost then double that figure and you'll be getting close to real cost.