tortron's minor

fuel

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The axles in these are stronger than the early a-series

Have an AMR500 to go on at somepoint. Will be a while.

Want a full engine rebuild before that(or after is maybe a more likely event)  I would only run low low boost, and mainly use it to keep the oil in, haha

The old kits were supposed to double the power and half the acceleration time

• 10 months later...

file.jpeg

5.5j 14 steel rims fitted with 185/65/14 tyres

i think this is my ideal look. 2 inches wider than the standard rim (cant use 4.5 van rims as my pcd is different)

Im thinking to get the centres put in new bands rather than widening - to give me a safety lip

better choice of tyres too

#chequebookbuild

Time to start thinking about what il do with this when i get back

New repro electronic 23D distributor will be waiting for me. Sold by accuspark so i am hoping the quality is acceptable/good enough to drive.

Will freshen and hot up the engine. Think i can get away with a rering if i had to but this will have to wait till its all stripped down. Want to go biggest pistons i can to get it up to 1100cc. But dang they aint cheap

anyway. Off the top of my head

timing chain

new exhaust valves

oversize intake valves

new valve guides

cam grind

while its apart i may as well have a second go at porting, and il balance and polish the rods and pistons

Oh and sort the carbs and extractors out finally

of course for what i want to do its throwing money away. Could just stick a fiat/datsun/ even an a series engine in there and have double the power minimum with no mods

anyway. Box of new engine bits will come, will have another measure up and order the hop up parts and get some machining done. Anti roll bar kit if shipping is within the relms of only eyewatering/find one locally

spending my days dreaming of a sporty touring engine for lush coastal cruising

anything iv missed?

• Like 1

New repro electronic 23D distributor will be waiting for me. Sold by accuspark so i am hoping the quality is acceptable/good enough to drive.

Is that one of the one's off the tard? Nearly bought one then panicked and bought a pertronix kit instead..

Nah as rustisize said flatheads are neat

plus all the builds end up the same. Theres only a handful of tuned sidevalve morries out there - i have motorcycles for real speed

have decided to keep this one NA and keep my blower for a different project (if this was a 2 door or convertable id be more inclined to bolt the blower on)

not to mention if i do a mod that requires a cert then il end up modifying everything and never have it on the road.

So pretty happy with my plans for a factory/period tuning house sedan for the sporting family man

in summary. I like slow old brit cars ok

I ordered the distributor direct from the manufacturer. They sound pretty good about sending a new one out if you get a dud. Not sure if they own the original tooling for yhe lucas distributors or not. I seem to think.they do,

car is totally usable Alex, its only a little slower than your house

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

After swwing that photo of a green series mm on japanese plates and wheels in the brit cars thread i have been wondering about getting some mags instead of wide steels

the set of 4 spoke almex rims polished with black centres on trademe caught my eye. Spendy tho, but i started searching for pics of minors on 13" wheels

IMG_3150.JPG

This one is on chevy vega wheels which are similar. Looks silly. Such a shame, will uave to be 14 or possibly 15" if i do

edit: though the 13" steels i had on for a while didnt look as bad as the one above. I think i had huge tyres on there tho and the amount of sway around the corners was comical

• Like 1