tortron's minor

fuel

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

decks pretty high

everyone was expecting me to load it on when i moved in january (place was set up where i could have driven it off a retaining wall directly onto the tray)

considered building some ramps on rollers under the deck actually, but it would be some pretty rough angles to work with/bendy ramps

edit*

these would work :|http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/earthmoving-machinery/other/auction-487329248.htm

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Synopsis of rear suspension

every bush collapsed

All mounting/shackle pins rusted half through

Shocks are surprisingly good and even have clean oil in them

Leafsprings have some use in them yet

Dif has been broken and welded back together (left hand side where it connects to the diff casing. I replaced the wheel bearing here when I got the car) the weld looks rough as but its on there straight enough. The original mounting pins for that side are awol and it looks like the smallest leak was dribbling out. Have put a 5/16" blanking grommet in to keep the dribble in.

Otherwise pretty good. Diff is painted & all the usefull suspension parts are prepped. Will have to wait till my parcel arrives from the UK before shes on all four again however

You could put a teeny tiny turbo on this instead. I spotted a perfect one small enough on a 3 cylinder mitsi shopping kart at work right now.

The turbo was soooo tiny. I just wanted to take it home in a shoe box lined with an old towel and cuddle it.

Did some further work today

tapped the generator water gallery mount, then painted the fuel tank again, re fitted it with new stainless screws, then used new hardware to mount the boot trays. Little coach bolts. Looks good, but i dont recomend changing the rear ones from screws, they are exactly 1/2" too far away for my arm to reach

It stops my papers from blowing around

will find its way onto this. Will set up the car like the original sharock supercharge kit (to keep up with those new peppy a series)

Have most of the bits sorted, pulleys, flanges etc.

The build of the car has changed since i first got it. Its now my interpretation of a coachbuilt (ala radford or whoever was making the black supercharged minis) or factory special edition. Going for period correct performance and comfort where ever possible.

Things like

Water pump cooled engine

Engine porting

light weight flywheel

tidied wires

high spec interior trim and sound deadening

extra factory gauges

wide wheels

uprated suspension

A tasteful touch of polished brass and alloy

trying to avoid (or hide completely) any modern luxury. keep in mind only high end cars in the 50s had even a heater. So in post war england i have a super car :lol:

• Like 2

Does it have a sweet little brass tap to turn the heater circuit on?  I dig that.

yup. Not sure if the brass plug in the back of the head will come out. 60 years and id say its become one.

I see you can get 12v solinoid valves, pretty neat

• 1 month later...

I have the flanges made already. Has 4 exhaust ports. Major gains by replacing the log type original exhaust as there are two 90degree bends before tye downpipe.

Tyere was a great write up on tye hamb about doing such mods to the 100e enginge that i took a few ideas away from. Have a copper head gasket so can open it up pretty kuch anytime and smooth the step out a bit