• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Awesome. Did the motor go ok?

never had a problem with it

(sidevalve with so she spits a bit of oil from factory)

other than the "thermostat" housing (doesnt have a thermostat) corroding through, so thats replaced.

and the dissy springs and weights being gummed up so the advance was all out to wack until i figured out that was the problem and cleaned them.

oh and the engine mounts were rubber and had collapsed

but yea no actual problems with the engine

Looking mint, those things are a pain in the arse to prep/straighten

what happened to the lowlight 4 door stz? Or did I dream that?

Please adjust torsions at next available instance please, ta 8)

What wheels you going with? You rollin crossplys or goin for the van wheels?

QFT

found some small wire wheels to fit down the slots - worked pretty well/wish i had thought of that first

low light grill is on my wall - needs more work, just want it driving again for now, will get stuck into it later

will be given a wack with the lowering stick (next thing on the list is the suspension, new fluids in the lever arms, not sure if i want nolathane or just keep rubber for a cushier ride)

wheels - being 114.3x4 rather than 4"x4 is a bit nicer (however the centre hole is huge, lathe on the brake drum to knock the prongs down is needed for more choice/angle grinder)

I like the look of the original rims and the look of crossply sidewall :lol:

Thinking i will pick up another set of OG rims and get them widened at some point

otherwise i can always roll on my 13's

Please stay away from nolathanes, dont try to improve on perfection (Morris roadholding) besides those bottom trunnions so wont appreciate the lack of rubber cushioning etc.

Lever arms are so sweet, use heavier oil to uprate, easy as 8) I love lever arms

Anti roll bar and anti tramp bar FTW

You got the lowlight guards as well? Full lowlight conversion would own, with Alta and shorrock of course

• 2 weeks later...

God damn it. I'm going to get one of these this year. Ideally one of the vans as dad had one when we were kids and have fond memorys of speedo needle pointing at all speeds at once, the smell of gas, and rolling around in the back on long tripe on 60's patterned carpet.

What are the models to get? Which engines are best etc? Unload all of your minor knowledge.... NOW!

vans and pickups have chassis

everything else is monocoque

the travellers are just lol spec so dunno about them

i would roll a van with fiat twincam

series mm like mine and the lowlights in my opinion look the best with the splitscreens, small rear window and cheesegrater grills, however they have the sidevalve engine and it can be difficult to put anything else in as they dont have the bump in the bulkhead like later cars

the series II still has the split screen and cheese grater grill, but was fitted with an 803cc A series with a really poo gearbox - however you can just slam any other rwd A series in there without too much effort (or any infact im pretty sure its all lego from this series on). Very rarely you can find a split window van or pick up (have seen conversions tho)

then all the way up to series IV is pretty much the same - but with the larger engines and the very late ones have alternators and diskbrakes

of course theres a ton of hot up parts and pretty much everything has been done before re alternator/engine/brake conversions