Pog’s X1/9

Muzzie

1 hour ago, sr2 said:

A diagram of incomprehensible squiggly nonsense

Ok I will check that relay setup. It is all going to be pre set up in its entirety on a bench so hopefully i will catch any fuckery before its actually installed...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3rd gear crunch....My experience - limited as it is - suggests that the origin of the synchro damage is the OE very long clutch pedal travel.  Combined with the Italian ergonomics - seat well back to fit behind the wheel which makes it a stretch to the pedals - complete disengagement of the clutch is an effort. So on quick upshifts it leads to making the synchros work harder than they're happy with.

You moved the seat on this one didn't you ?  Did it help ?

16 minutes ago, GregT said:

3rd gear crunch....My experience - limited as it is - suggests that the origin of the synchro damage is the OE very long clutch pedal travel.  Combined with the Italian ergonomics - seat well back to fit behind the wheel which makes it a stretch to the pedals - complete disengagement of the clutch is an effort. So on quick upshifts it leads to making the synchros work harder than they're happy with.

You moved the seat on this one didn't you ?  Did it help ?

Pedal movement isn't an issue for me, Im 6'3". I did all sorts of things to make me fit but clutch to the floor was a given.

The box wasnt too bad, you just had to be slower than you wanted into 3rd. Who knows what hamfisted shenanigans have been going on in the ladt few years tho.

Given that very tall gentlemen generally have rather large feet was accidentally mashing two pedals at the same time ever an issue for you? I found the pedals in a Fiat 850 Sport to be too small and close together for comfort. Is the X1/9 similarly handicapped?

1 hour ago, igor said:

Given that very tall gentlemen generally have rather large feet was accidentally mashing two pedals at the same time ever an issue for you? I found the pedals in a Fiat 850 Sport to be too small and close together for comfort. Is the X1/9 similarly handicapped?

I dont recall it being too much of an issue, im pretty sure i could wear my steel caps without too much drama.

28 minutes ago, h4nd said:

Cain't remember if I showed you this?

Good practical wiring guide:

I have been subscribed for a while so have seen it anyway, one of my favourite youtubers....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, BiTurbo228 said:

Wiring loom looks good so far. Making me wonder if I should do mine at some point, mainly for weight reduction! They carry around a lot of unnecessary copper...

Any idea what the new one weighs compared to the old one?

There has to be a certain saving, the factory looms have so many weird wire runs, like the power for the headlight motors then runs back to power the lighter socket as far as I can tell. Apparently if you are a guru you can troubleshoot what is broken by collating it with the other completely unrelated broken things, ie the wipers don't work so check if the left hand brake light is out sort of thing.

I will do some checks when I get the old loom out.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.3e3dad71642715b2be7363a8104ac6d6.jpeg

well done untangling the magneti spaghetti.

I didnt see why you set off on this maniacal task tho?

IME the wire and connector quality itself is pretty good, but the layout and logic is messed up.

Is there a reason you replaced all the wires too?

I mean im all for it, just wasnt sure why? :)

1 hour ago, azzurro said:

image.jpeg.3e3dad71642715b2be7363a8104ac6d6.jpeg

well done untangling the magneti spaghetti.

I didnt see why you set off on this maniacal task tho?

IME the wire and connector quality itself is pretty good, but the layout and logic is messed up.

Is there a reason you replaced all the wires too?

I mean im all for it, just wasnt sure why? :)

I am a dumb fuck probably.

But it is mostly because it looks like there has been a fairly serious electrical issue or maybe a small fire. The battery tray area has had a lot of metalwork loving and so it is possible the original fusebox just got filled up with rusty water from the battery area, I did have to clean out more grime and shit from that tray than I would have expected when i removed it. Whatever the reason, someone has grafted a new front section of the loom and fusebox onto the old one.

I do not have any level of confidence in this work, although I don't really know why or if that is a real issue. Either way if I was to just use it as is then try and troubleshoot any issues I can see unbelievable levels of frustration and anger in the future if shit no longer matches the factory diagrams.

Then there are some known X1/9 issues; High amp power going through the key switch, headlamp supply, headlamp pod motor supply etc, all of which should really be going through relays and have bigger supply wires. These well known issues had not been addressed at all during the rewire and if implemented would essentially be a whole lot of dirty hacks grafted in to what is there, making the loom even harder to work with and to understand.

Plus everything was unplugged and the car essentially disassembled, TBH the decision to do it made itself.

But yea I hear you.... :-)

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Yea it looks pretty much exactly the same, maybe a new fuel pump in there, and the headers have been wrapped.

We ran it the day i looked at it, nothing obviously horrible going on. I checked and its only done 6000 odd km since I sold it.

I am probably going to fit an uprated clutch, so If the engine is out I will drop the sump and have a geez.

I got it into the shed today, so ill see how much I can get through in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThePog said:

Yea it looks pretty much exactly the same, maybe a new fuel pump in there, and the headers have been wrapped.

We ran it the day i looked at it, nothing obviously horrible going on. I checked and its only done 6000 odd km since I sold it.

I am probably going to fit an uprated clutch, so If the engine is out I will drop the sump and have a geez.

I got it into the shed today, so ill see how much I can get through in the next couple of weeks.

Probably quite a few?

image.png.67bf4f455717df741f840985c8c31647.png

I think he's just really into you...

I once had to feedback to an audience at an education symposium (as everyone else in my group went mute) at University of Canterbury.

A woman attending yelled at me (in front of 500+ other attendees, "why don't you let the women speak?!". Was a really impressive heckle that has given me the excuse to avoid mansplanations ever since.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Willdat? said:

why don't you let the women speak?

I do hope you turned away from the audience, paused for a few seconds and then turned back to face her, cupping your imaginary breasts and with a high pitched feminine tone said "well since you ask and because I'm a laaaaady, I'll now speak for all women" 

images.jpeg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Willdat? said:

I think he's just really into you...

I once had to feedback to an audience at an education symposium (as everyone else in my group went mute) at University of Canterbury.

A woman attending yelled at me (in front of 500+ other attendees, "why don't you let the women speak?!". Was a really impressive heckle that has given me the excuse to avoid mansplanations ever since.

I suspect I am being far too dry for him to suspect anything, but if he was that into me he should have stalked the rest of my imgur and perhaps got an inkling of some of my scope of work and the implications....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

That windscreen surround is giving me flashbacks…… to the horrifically rusty one I  owned briefly in the late 80s. Was an early 1300 made in ‘79 so barely 10 years old at the time.  Galloping rot was only one of the many issues afflicting that car.

Your repairs look good though :)