Mikuni's 1980 Vauxhall Chevette Wagon

davidian

I had 2 and 1/4 in mind myself, but its just pipe bent so I need that little bit extra for the crimped turns. Remember an exhaust is only as big as its smallest dimension. Plus the difference in size between 2.25 and 2.5 is sooo minimal, just relax aye.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every night my friend. Just got back and I'm pretty fucked off. That exhaust manifold is ultra gay, just like I expected. It hangs down about 3 inches too far. It will actually sit on the ground I think. I'm going to raise the front about half an inch and if that doesn't fix it I'm going to leave it and see if it smashes off around the track. Should look cool sparking :lol: So fucked off aye.. Just to top it off they already made the exhaust before I could check the clearance of the manifold so now I have a low hanging 2.5inch exhaust too haha :D Ahh fun times... Atleast they are doing things. Selector is all done and I grinded out some shit for the turrets. Plus the throttle linkage I found on bogans chevette looks like it might be gunna work.

Those vectra engines scare me. :wink:

They do? Whys that?

Yeah link g3's are the man. Only gay thing - they only have 2 injector drives still.... so you have to run the injectors in pairs. Its prehistoric technolody these days and the computer would be competitive with the big guys if it had one. I think they do it just so people still opt for the Link Plus for the big jobs.

I work at holden and theres just a general tendancey to hate vectras astras and pretty much any holden actually to be honest.

But yeah they're probably all 'g' once out of the vectra poo's and has new engine management. I like the project anyway, choice little car.

They do? Whys that?

Yeah link g3's are the man. Only gay thing - they only have 2 injector drives still.... so you have to run the injectors in pairs. Its prehistoric technolody these days and the computer would be competitive with the big guys if it had one. I think they do it just so people still opt for the Link Plus for the big jobs.

I work at holden and theres just a general tendancey to hate vectras astras and pretty much any holden actually to be honest.

But yeah they're probably all 'g' once out of the vectra poo's and has new engine management. I like the project anyway, choice little car.

rofls.. you work at Holden and theres a general tendancy to hate all Holdens? Thats awesome, and completely understandable. I would never own a Holden or anything built by them to be honest :P:wink:

I did alot of research on this engine before I opted for it. Granted its not as reliable as some japanese engines (for example) may be, but I don't think its too bad. Most of the problems seem to stem from the discusting factory engine management system, as you mentioned. This is still in the Vectra so I should be sweet :D

They do? Whys that?

rofls.. you work at Holden and theres a general tendancy to hate all Holdens? Thats awesome, and completely understandable. I would never own a Holden or anything built by them to be honest :P:wink:

I did alot of research on this engine before I opted for it. Granted its not as reliable as some japanese engines (for example) may be, but I don't think its too bad. Most of the problems seem to stem from the discusting factory engine management system, as you mentioned. This is still in the Vectra so I should be sweet :D

Don't worry. Holden are slowly moving away from the euro stuff anyway. And the Austrailian stuff too.

Korea is where its at boe..

Guest geminimad

hey come on guys no need 2 put down holdens mate they may b australian but u cant beat holdens when it comes 2 doin burnouts and id proudly own a holden ova a ford or a new jappa anyday

Plus the difference in size between 2.25 and 2.5 is sooo minimal, just relax aye.

Not so much, a 2.25 inch exhaust has a cross sectional area of 3.9 square inches, and a 2.5" has a cross sectional area of 4.9 square inches.... 25% difference!

shit. 2.5inch is huge for an NA

Maybe for a wheezy pushrod engine....

shit yea 2.5" isway over the top.

No it isnt. :P

Calculations for a few of the more coman tuned na 4bangers say 2-2.25 is fine even for a pretty hard tune.

My definition of a hard tuned 2 litre 4 banger would be one that makes 179kw at the wheels, and it's got a 3" exhaust all the way. :)

Turb 4 bangers 2.25-2.5 was sufficiant. Over 2.5 is a complete waste of time.

Lol! since when? One of the 'must have' mods, part of the recipe for a high HP 3SGTE is a 3" exhaust from the turbo back.

Some of the jap tuning companies sell 2.25 ones for the 3sge beams and it has 200 beans 2.5" = overkill.

My MR2 (with beams 3SGE) Has TOMS extractors/exhaust, and it's all 2.5". ;) 125kw ATW was the best it has done on the dyno, it should have a bit more but I've had a few problems getting it running right. (Which are fixed now, waiting for next dyno day :P )

hey come on guys no need 2 put down holdens mate they may b australian but u cant beat holdens when it comes 2 doin burnouts and id proudly own a holden ova a ford or a new jappa anyday

Not all of us think that the good burnouts are adequate comepensation for general shitness in every other aspect of the car. :P

(I kid, there's a few old holdens I wouldnt mind owning...)

And yeah Mikuni.... Stick with the 2.5"! :P

Works well for my MR2, although the exhaust is all of 2 metres long I suppose, haha.

meh theres no hard and fast rule for each car but seen a few tezzas with 2.25 after market jappa zausts. MR2 is fine to run bigger as its shorter doesn't cool as much and the velocity will stay up. Meh really would need to dyno several to find out/who cares

Haha yeah I think we're more or less on the same page here....

Some people were saying "2.5" is too big for a 2l engine" When there's a fair few examples of engines with 2.5" or bigger that go really well.

In some cases, a smaller diameter might be better, some cases bigger is better. As you've said, it's hard to know until you try. *shrug* I dont think he's going to lose 30% of his power just because he's got a 2.5", put it that way. :)

Possiably a highly modded engine would need 2,5"+. Most general cars do not benifit from the extra size.

2.5inch to 3inch on turbo car makes no differance for most engines untill maybe the 300kw+ stage at least.

Does depend engine to engine but the majority dont need that big.

Bahaha i love it how you specified doing burnouts lol. id like them to do anything else well... And how many barinas do you see doing phat skids ow they're holdens :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ps. thanks lowlancer lol

Guest sexychevette

And how many barinas do you see doing phat skids ow they're holdens :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ps. thanks lowlancer lol

My cousin rolled his barina and fell out the back window. Probably the coolest thing a barinas ever done.

My grandma has a 96 barina with like 20kms on it. Future rotahavik topic in 20 years= 'bro i just got this mean oldschool barina of this grandma bro!, only done 20kms!!!'...'gona put in a renisis bridge running on hydrogen bro'