Mikuni's 1980 Vauxhall Chevette Wagon

davidian

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way, deffinately not doing gemini front end now. I did want to when I first got it, mainly because you can't get them here so I'd have the only one. I know now I'd never be able to bring myself to rip the chevette front end of this one :D I'll just make it better. A full bumper and oil cooler hanging out the front might do the trick.

I went to pull the front off that gemini i scored from CUL8R the other day, and the guards pretty much disentigrated due to rust :(. Could be saveable, but i dunno...

Whats involved in putting the gem front on? The guards look like a bolt in affair, just drill out some spot welds and weld back in all the supports in the front?

I'd love a Kadett front end tho, those square lights and different grille, oh my... :D.

kadettwagon.jpg

Hell yes, that car ^ was one of my inspirations haha. The wagons do look great in kadett form i must admit.. still don't want to change the front on mine though.

To change the front you've got it sussed. The guards bolt on but the valance and rad support need to be welded on. If you were really smart you'd make up brackets so it can unbolt etc so engine conversions will be a slot in affair :wink: Would need to be very strong though.

Sump isn't too hard to modify methz, but its alot easier to just use a factory manta one if you can find one.

And rydawg, progress is still on its way. I thought I might aswell post up a whole lot at once, so I'm waiting for things to be done.

Bugger about the guards, although judging by those doors it doesnt surprise me :lol::rolleyes:

You've got a welder dont you :lol::rolleyes:

@Mikuni, better be a nice alloy oil cooler hanging out the front ! :lol::rolleyes: You still putting the manta diff into it, or that coming after nats?

Cheers,Chris

Bruce Wayne. The Turrets can be welded straight in to the wagon. They even cut out the hole and put a patch over it with a strengthened area around it so you know where to do it and apparantly its outlined in the original manuals haha. Perfomance modification boes!

@ cul8r I should have just gotten that Manta diff but I didn't want to run into any issues at such a late stage. Clearance is the main one, with the manta diff being wider. I'm just going to weld the turrets in and put in a sedan diff (welded :twisted: ) to keep things simple for now.

I'm going to try using standard chevette front shocks in the rear for the sedan diff. It wouldn't have worked as well with the wagon setup but for the sedan vertical shocks and bolts on the bottom I think they may be perfect. Will let you know. Otherwise I'll hunt out that number later.. I have a recipt somewhere.. rears are Mazda!?

fuk shot boe, progress is progress you know. good to see those durty quads sitting on there, inspiration right thur!! doit

chur boe. yeap, its coming together and its needs something to tow it! mean styles.

Oh, forgot to mention. The injectors and fuel rail are in, schneeky schneeky styles. Couldn't fit them in the top due to throttle clearances so they are in the bottom. looks more oldschool aye.

Tank, the engine makes 136hp at the fly standard and mine is just rebuilt with slight headwork. The throttles and extractors/exhaust should open it up to around 165-175hp depending on how well its all made. So I guess that equates to around 100+rwkw.

Yeah man. We're getting there.

Fuel cell was made to bolt up to standard tank bolts, but I decided to raise it up above the boot cover panel for more capacity and to keep it off the floor of the boot, so it doesn't corrode. I got steel lines put underneath along with new brake lines and got him to mount the fuel pump also. The lines just come up in the bay so its just a matter of mounting a filter and running the hp rubber tubes around the eng bay + fuel reg also.

Exhaust is sweet but to keep things cheap he just made it normal :cry: no atlantic styles yet, which I'm gutted about but there just isn't the space to play around with, with a limited time frame.

looks nice as man, need more pics, fuel cell etc. wagons are good for fuel cells, tanks already box shape like cells.

but seriously, how much does getting shit like this done, is that place an automotive engineering place? I figured that every car place would treat me like a moron and charge supreme amounts of money so I never looked into it

Its expensive man. And they looked at me like a moron when I went in saying I wanted to put a vectra engine into a chevette, but I have been researching this since around August of last year and have put alot of work into it myself. Alot of what we are doing really is 'we', as apposed to 'them' and I've been able to have a large input on where things are going with the whole thing. Its certainly not a drive in, drive out conversion.. though sometimes I wish it was.

I took it to Te Awamutu for fabrication at Sinco Customs, The Engine Shop is rebuilding the engine, ATL are doing the Flywheel and Driveshaft and I'm sourcing parts through several outlets, so all that chasing around I'm doing saves money etc.

In saying that I'm so stoked that I get to be involved and I'm not just paying to get it done. I'm learning heaps because I haven't played around inside motors before and so thats always pretty cool.

I'll get some pics when it starts coming together more so, which will all happen really fast in around a week once we have everything all ready to go. At the moment I can't put headers on because they need to be put on before the engine goes in due to clearance issues and the cars literally full to the brim with boxes of parts of 2 different engines, 20 valve stuff and chevette stuff.. its a mess haha

Hey with the itb's what sensors are you runnin?

Does the 20v itbs already have the TPS sensor on them?

Whats the cost like on the intake mainfold?

Im keen to do the same thing for my strada aye.

Just using the TPS from the 20v throttles (which is on the front throttle) and running a vacuum tube from all throttles for the MAP sensor in the Link.

For the manifold I had some plates profile cut from stainless (which was probably a mistake - should have been ali). One plate for ecotec head, one for the 20v throttles then got them all cut down and port matched to the engine. Cost was $400 for his labour and parts were around $150 for the profile cutting and stainless. Labour was so high because of difficult port angle on ecotec head but thats hard to explain on here.

If I were doing it to a simple engine I would use bike carbs and make a simple manifold with a flange for the engine and pipes coming out for the carbs. I was quoted $150-200 for a manifold like that.