For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Hemi said:

Hey @cletus / @KKtrips
is this something that can be certed? for some reason i thodught onotching has to be welded, or it the other way around? 

Hide contents

dropped c10

Looks like a serious bit of kit and would probably be overkill for anything other than an uber mega slam.

IMHO bolt on = fuck off.

Be like Mike and weld it in.

Zephyr should be getting painted soon, I want to remove the ID tag before it gets painted as I think it will look better than masking it off. Its secured with four pop rivets, am I all good removing it or will I run into issues come time to get it another WOF? 

Correct procedure is to take it to a vtnz or vinz that deals with re registering cars, tell them what you are doing, they will remove the tag, and store it while it's being painted then refit when it's done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just get good at masking and save the hassle :P I masked mine up and it came up fine, just spent my time making sure the tape was perfect, and also thin stuff.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, xsspeed said:

can they be trusted to find it when the time comes?

Its risky if you ask me.

A 2 year rebuild on a car could mean a bunch of different employees come and go, things go missing, inspection sites lose their authority and throw everything away, etc 

I find, in practice,  nobody knows about this requirement,  removes tags for paint, then come in for cert with them re attached with new rivets and new engine bay paint

Then we have to send them to vinz or vtnz to confirm that the id tag matches the car . Sometimes they return with a letter from the TSDA saying yep its sweet, some come back with a new 17 digit vin number attached

21 minutes ago, chasinthemirage said:

Do they use special rivets or anything? Just curious as to whether anyone would be able to tell whether they'd removed it or not.

No special rivets, it's pretty obvious when the tag has been removed for paint and refitted  

Hmm yeah might just mask it up tbh. With the glacial pace of progress on the car I'd rather not have an irreplaceable part at VTNZ for however long. Just as long as there's nothing under it contamination wise that will affect the new paint.

I feel like if I just removed it and went for a wof with it reattached its one of those things that could go either way tbh.

1 minute ago, chasinthemirage said:

I feel like if I just removed it and went for a wof with it reattached its one of those things that could go either way tbh.

95% of the time it will never get picked up. Lvv certifiers have been told to look for it specifically, it's in the wof virm but I'd say most wof inspectors wouldn't fail until theres a training update and then there will be a million cars that fail all of a sudden 

I got a bollocking from someone at NZTA once for looking at a vehicle that didnt have a vin number on it because it had been removed and lost when it was painted, Not even a proper cert inspection,  it was a pre check  

@cletus how often do you see old cars that have numbers that don't match? There was a Zephyr in the club I used to belong to that had been registered a year before it was built ie rego said it was a 1963 but the number stamped on the body indicated it had been built in 1964. What would be the go there if you had a car like that?

5 minutes ago, chasinthemirage said:

@cletus how often do you see old cars that have numbers that don't match? There was a Zephyr in the club I used to belong to that had been registered a year before it was built ie rego said it was a 1963 but the number stamped on the body indicated it had been built in 1964. What would be the go there if you had a car like that?

Surely only a Z foamer would notice that. That Oxford wagon had was tagges as a saloon in the NZTA system and that was never an issue for WOF's.

21 minutes ago, chasinthemirage said:

A certifier has to send it to a TSDA to sort out any discrepancies in the ID of the vehicle.

With old stuff it can be tricky because a lot dont have a stamped in number so swapping tags is very hard to pick up unless there is a difference in the body, ie if someone put VK commodore plates on a VH you'd notice because the body is different. 

Ive had quite a few cars that have never come back after being asked to sort out ID issues but most of them have been cars where it's been obvious,  ie the stamped in number in the firewall had been cut out and another one welded in  

The last old car I had with chassis number problems, was one that the owner had lost the tag when it got painted, i failed it, next time i saw it hed "found the number under some bog" but had obviously got a punch set and diy'd the number into the front panel, he painted the front so it looked semi legit but forgot about the back side and the primer and paint had cracked where hed punched the numbers in

It went to a TSDA to get a new vin, a bit of paperwork and a month or so of waiting and it got a new vin number on a proper tag  

• Like 3

Have had a few really dodgy ones over the years, a "mitsubishi lancer 1500cc" that had "been converted to a makkinen evo replica" 

And a "V6 commodore with a LS swap" that had really low kms and lots of weird rust almost like it had been hidden in a damp shed for 10 years and you could see where the SS stickers on the doors were and the engine number had been attacked with a chisel and the date tag on the belts didnt match the year on the rego and the vin tag under the glass had heaps of weird scratches on it 

Or the VE commodore that had a different vin on the bit under the carpet on the floor to under the glass and in the engine bay because whoever the crackhead that stole it didnt realise there was a chassis number in the floor 

• Like 5

You realise no one is ever going to plate and tag a Wolseley right? Yeah that's why they didn't look too hard. They only do it to desirable cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Apologies for not scrolling every page for the answer or trying to go through the online manual on a small screen... 

My question is.... 

Can rubber fuel line be legally routed through the cabin of a road car? 

Then covered by carpet etc etc

9 minutes ago, shizzl said:

Apologies for not scrolling every page for the answer or trying to go through the online manual on a small screen... 

My question is.... 

Can rubber fuel line be legally routed through the cabin of a road car? 

Then covered by carpet etc etc

Rigid fuel pipe or flexible purpose-designed automotive braided

stainless steel covered hose may be located within the passenger

compartment of a low volume vehicle, provided that:

(a) the hose cannot come in contact with either the driver or

other vehicle occupants during normal vehicle operation; and

(b) the pipe or hose is secured firmly against the floor at

intervals of no more than 300 mm (12”); and

(c) the hose can be readily inspected for wear or damage; and

(d) there are no pipe or hose joins or connections inside the

passenger compartment, other than for purpose-designed

bulkhead fittings