For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey @cletus - I'm looking to fabricate new caliper mounts for some Brembos I've got my hands on. Essentially, they will be similar to those in the pics below, but the bolt holes will be spaced wider apart and will sit back towards the car about 10mm more than current. Is there anything I need to be aware of in terms of metal types, strength, thickness etc?

IMG_20210123_135318.jpg.d0c01528f7748fbbdef7d068ec353496.jpg

IMG_20210123_135333.jpg.6e12156ff646160b0c8059e23dc332d3.jpg

1 hour ago, cletus said:

I'd say 10mm thick steel minimum. 

Have you got a plan for making them the right shape? I assume they will have a dogleg in them like those ones do? 

Sweet. I need to double check that 10mm wont mean the bolts interfere with the hub, but it should be okay.

I am still in the planning stage of working out the shape, but yes, they will dogleg back like the stock ones, maybe 10mm further back. I may be able to have a mate CAD them up and CNC cut them so they are one piece with no welding needed.

• Like 1

Yes. The fact that the lower part is a casting/forging and it has had a new strut tube and gussets welded to it, getting that legal would be unlikely or at least extremely difficult 

Unfortunately with early ford stuff , you are limited to modifying the original parts or spend large amounts getting parts custom made to get around the 'no welding to cast or forged parts' rule  

3 hours ago, cletus said:

Yes. The fact that the lower part is a casting/forging and it has had a new strut tube and gussets welded to it, getting that legal would be unlikely or at least extremely difficult 

Unfortunately with early ford stuff , you are limited to modifying the original parts or spend large amounts getting parts custom made to get around the 'no welding to cast or forged parts' rule  

Thanks! Good to know before pulling the trigger- back to the drawing board.

4 hours ago, Nominal said:

@KKtrips Is there a go-to place for NDT in Wellington? The guy who did this last time for me seems to have vanished.

SGS seem to be pretty good. But it always pays to get the F008 form filled out by the certifier prior to sending parts for NDT so the test lab knows what they are looking at and what they are testing for.

https://www.sgs.co.nz/en/office-directory?country=94&city=12

3 minutes ago, KKtrips said:

SGS seem to be pretty good. But it always pays to get the F008 form filled out by the certifier prior to sending parts for NDT so the test lab knows what they are looking at and what they are testing for.

https://www.sgs.co.nz/en/office-directory?country=94&city=12

Thanks. I do have the form here somewhere.

Hey @cletus, these upper A arms are being made in Aussie and will be "engineerable in QLD". Assuming the welding and clearance are good, do they look certable in NZ? They are bolt in and give more caster and camber adjustment than the stock arms.

141130752_4180318635331334_7197894758848750985_o.thumb.jpg.5ea1182234be1e4596820f2ca2a7ef66.jpg

Stock arm for reference:

OzGemini.com • View topic - Spax Opel Kaddett shocks - price drop

unnamed1.jpg

Is it acceptable to space down suspension top hats?

A friend has got lowered spring in his accord, which are great, but he wants to raise the front of the car by about 8-10mm. We were thinking that getting a nylon bush made up to match the top hat would be a neat solution.

On 28/01/2021 at 09:31, zep said:

Hey @cletus, these upper A arms are being made in Aussie and will be "engineerable in QLD". Assuming the welding and clearance are good, do they look certable in NZ? They are bolt in and give more caster and camber adjustment than the stock arms.

141130752_4180318635331334_7197894758848750985_o.thumb.jpg.5ea1182234be1e4596820f2ca2a7ef66.jpg

Stock arm for reference:

OzGemini.com • View topic - Spax Opel Kaddett shocks - price drop

unnamed1.jpg

Looks like a good design. Who makes them? 

If it's a "recognized manufacturer " then there is less involved than if it's someone doing one offs

Worst case scenario it might need NDT and making sure the tube sizes meet our requirements 

1 hour ago, Sambo said:

Is it acceptable to space down suspension top hats?

A friend has got lowered spring in his accord, which are great, but he wants to raise the front of the car by about 8-10mm. We were thinking that getting a nylon bush made up to match the top hat would be a neat solution.

Technically would need cert if you put a spacer on top of the strut

@AllTorque s idea is better but just make sure the spring has coil clearance at full compression  so your mate doesnt end up with coil bind issues 

• Like 1

On 29/01/2021 at 21:55, Yowzer said:

On MacPherson strut it should raise it by its thickness, or near enough to. On double wishbone it'll be some % based on the ratio of spring perch to arm length or some such nonsense

Indeed, minus a tiny bit of compression. His main objective is raising the front bumper up. Assuming a front overhang of 750mm, a 15mm spacer raises the front by 19mm, pretty decent.

• Like 1