For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Hey Mr Cletus

I've just been for a Wof on the Samurai... and failed

A couple things I agree should fail, and I will get them fixed.

But he also failed me on-

-"Certification for body raise kit" The cert plate has "Body Lift" printed on it, but he reckons it doesn't specify how much it is lifted, wtf?

-"Certification for rear spring shackles" These are factory shackles, guaranteed, hand on heart! He reckons they are not and I need them certified!

-"Certification Plate Has Injected, not Carburetted" This is a fuck up by the certifier, as it has never had injection! And I never noticed it. Unfortunately the certifier is no longer in business... How would I get this fixed?

Cert was carried out in 2012 with no problems up til now, plate # 6408HH

Side note- I will not be going back to this Wof guy!

• Like 1

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so been to another place, probably not such a good idea using a testing station but at this time of day...

I got a bigger list, but at least it's sensible stuff that I can fix.

He also pulled it up on body lift and I thought WHAT! seems he oversighted it on the plate.

Side note- only one fail point was the same between the two sheets!

• Like 1

Ha yeah

This guy reckons one rear wheel bearing is so bad I probably shouldn't drive it home! And rear brake imbalance.

First guy this morning had no mention whatsoever of imbalance or bearing

Go figure

I have been going to the first place on and off for the last 7 years (not now they pulled this shit) but the new place spotted the missing reflectors first go

Cletus another question, are self made shackles ok? As the front ones are broken

• Like 1

I had the wof guy moan about my mud tyres and that the rims also needed a cert, lame because they are the ones fitted when originally sold in NZ and so have been there for every wof since, also same make & size tyre that went through the cert process! because the cert guy just put OE in all the boxes wof guy said the rims need to be changed, thankfully another wof guy told him to mellow out and not worry about it and I got my wof. Is it worth the hassle making sure that all the fields are filled out in on the cert plate? and is there any central record of the vehicle fitment at the time of cert inspection if it came to an argument?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

can't if it can't be registered for road use. aparently

tried running a non-emissions/SRS Suzuki past a VTNZ manager (who i know quite well through legit compliances) and he basically said, if it can't be complied under road use, then farm rego is OUT.

So i would like to know more about farm rego'

i have seen a long wheel base truck with worm drive diff' i would like.  Problem is it hasn't been registered since world war 2 and all traces of rego' are long gone.  Not worth complying as it is too slow to go very far from a farm, hence farm rego' might be perfect.

Hey Mr Cletus

I've just been for a Wof on the Samurai... and failed

A couple things I agree should fail, and I will get them fixed.

But he also failed me on-

-"Certification for body raise kit" The cert plate has "Body Lift" printed on it, but he reckons it doesn't specify how much it is lifted, wtf?

-"Certification for rear spring shackles" These are factory shackles, guaranteed, hand on heart! He reckons they are not and I need them certified!

-"Certification Plate Has Injected, not Carburetted" This is a fuck up by the certifier, as it has never had injection! And I never noticed it. Unfortunately the certifier is no longer in business... How would I get this fixed?

Cert was carried out in 2012 with no problems up til now, plate # 6408HH

Side note- I will not be going back to this Wof guy!

you can get a re print of your cert plate through another certifier, contact don hoff and he should be able to get you another one printed with correct details, probably get the amount of body lift put on it.

quite often, there are changes that result in more emphasis being put on certain things, and what may have been no problem 5 years ago, now it is

• Like 2

I had the wof guy moan about my mud tyres and that the rims also needed a cert, lame because they are the ones fitted when originally sold in NZ and so have been there for every wof since, also same make & size tyre that went through the cert process! because the cert guy just put OE in all the boxes wof guy said the rims need to be changed, thankfully another wof guy told him to mellow out and not worry about it and I got my wof. Is it worth the hassle making sure that all the fields are filled out in on the cert plate? and is there any central record of the vehicle fitment at the time of cert inspection if it came to an argument?

best thing you could do is find some sort of proof the wheels are an OE fitment, like a pic from a sales brochure, etc and keep it in the car. Tyre sizes never get recorded on the cert plate for some reason

• Like 1

you can weld in box/rhs for a seat mount if it goes across the car, ie how a lot of competition vehicles are done, from tunnel to inside the sill, with plates to spread the load.

Thanks Clint.

I have just had a look at the standards and struggled to find any information on how large these load bearing plates should be OR how much weld surface area is considered OK

for my rear mounts I'd really like to weld this 80x80x3mm plate (with captive nut) along the two supported edges and then box in the two unsupported edges with more 3mm plate. (And repeat on the other side of the seat)

Do you think this would be OK or should I just weld a plate to the tunnel, one to inside of sill and bridge with box as discussed above.

20150815_163929.jpg

Thanks and sorry about the paranoid questioning

• Like 1

Lots of people make longer shackles etc. Make sure you use grade 8.8 bolts with a shoulder or crush tube (if the bushes don't come with them) so that you can lock the nuts up tight.

I reused the original pins, the shackle plates completely fell apart. Was lucky it didn't take itself off the road as these are the fronts.

I might post them up in failures tomorrow.

And yeah I realize ppl make longer shackles, i jjust wanted to check it was legal To do so.

The first wof guy wanted cert for the supposedly home made shackles after all.

Also, I would never make longer shackles, they fuck up the pinion angles and caster angle. It's the wrong/lazy way to a suspension lift imo

I reused the original pins, the shackle plates completely fell apart. Was lucky it didn't take itself off the road as these are the fronts.

I might post them up in failures tomorrow.

And yeah I realize ppl make longer shackles, i jjust wanted to check it was legal To do so.

The first wof guy wanted cert for the supposedly home made shackles after all.

Also, I would never make longer shackles, they fuck up the pinion angles and caster angle. It's the wrong/lazy way to a suspension lift imo

sorry, should clarify, legal to make your own but they would need certification

Thanks Clint.

I have just had a look at the standards and struggled to find any information on how large these load bearing plates should be OR how much weld surface area is considered OK

for my rear mounts I'd really like to weld this 80x80x3mm plate (with captive nut) along the two supported edges and then box in the two unsupported edges with more 3mm plate. (And repeat on the other side of the seat)

Do you think this would be OK or should I just weld a plate to the tunnel, one to inside of sill and bridge with box as discussed above.

Thanks and sorry about the paranoid questioning

can that go flat on the floor and then modify the seat runner so it bolts to it?