For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/17/2017 at 12:37, tehnzbrad said:

Bent drag links, certifiable? The joints on the end of my drag link bind up when at full suspension travel, if i put 2 bends in it so it becomes sort of a "s" shape ( its a solid bar like 25mm round) to get around the joints binding (it will be a new custom drag link not a bent oem one) or can a single shear high misalignment heim set up be certed?

Can be bent, minimum size for one over 1300 long is 25x5 mild steel tube, if it has bends it has to be bigger

20170918_193218.jpg

2 hours ago, 00quattro00 said:

A mate is looking at a van the has been certed but on the plate its engine has been incorrectly stamped as a 4cyl not a 5cyl, would it cost anything to get that corrected?

@cletus

Usually we charge for a new plate if it's not my mistake- ie if a different certifier did it. 

• Like 1

@cletus

Cert for conversion to EFI, is it absolutely necessary? No holes drilled in chassis or whatnot, retaining original tank. Original engine.

Power increase should theoretically* be within the 20% threshold (JDM KP with 78 hp vs NZDM KP with 66 hp (increase of 18%)

VTNZ reckons they would give me a WoF without a cert. Insurance company is happy as-is.

Cert man Don Hoff reckons it needs a cert, $495. I haven't really got any issue with this, it just puts a bit of a dent in the wallet.

The engine bay isn't exceedingly packed tightly with stuff, but there isn't much space for a drill to get in for putting a cert plate in, is it fine to get the cert plate put under the carpet in the boot (plates are ugly, etc)?

Thanks

*Bum dyno says it is more than 20% though

The cert for EFI conversion, even if it's direct bolt in stuff, is to ensure the safety of the high pressure side of things. I've seen more than a couple of times people pumping EFI pressure through the 30something year old carb rated fuel lines, and wonder why they leak. It's just another blanket rule to guard against idiocy.

• Like 4

For some reason I can't attach a link, but go on www.lvvta.org.nz and look at 'modification threshold '

To be honest I can't tell you 100% either way based on what it says, it doesn't specify efi conversions as being ok without cert- just efi system modifications-, then it says all fuel system mods need cert, apart from, then gives a box which describes what you can do, but according to that, you could make a fuel tank out of codys cans and not need cert as long as it fills from the original point....

• Like 4

That's pretty much the same info I got from the VIRMs.

lvvta.png.9e93a2709ee5bfbcec4764eaff41f0df.png

The only hole drilled in the car was on the exhaust for the O2 sensor and I don't really class the exhaust as a structural member of the car (although I do occasionally use it to drag myself around while under the car).

Soft line for the high pressure fuel line is acceptable for general cert, isn't it? I'm just running it through the OEM brackets where they are available and through P clips mounted to the existing P clips holding the original line in place where needed.

I haven't actually checked if the clips are spaced less than 350 mm (this is the requirement, isn't it?) apart but I'm fairly certain they are within that limit.

I have no issue with taking it for a cert if I have to, but if I don't technically have to then I would rather save the money.

Does anyone know where the exact law is that states that it would need a cert? I wouldn't mind a bit of light/mid/heavy reading. I'll probably book the car in tomorrow afternoon for next week.

3 minutes ago, Firetruck said:

It's all on the lvvta website.

Yeah, I've read over what is on there and I haven't found something that explicitly states for EFI conversions.

Seeing as it isn't specified in the document that must mean it is required to be certed.

"

LVV Certification is
always required
for any engine or drive
-
train
-
related modifica
tions
unless specified below
:
(if modification