For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi i have brought some 2" drop spindles off a guy for my 1980 L300 van, they have come with a ndt test sheet. can i get a cert with these? or do they have to be a certain brand etc? think they are from the usa. would like to know before installing them, cheers.

On 7/29/2017 at 22:07, SOHC said:

For a Falcon ute that needs re compliance would small rust holes in the bottom of the front guards and behind the rear wheels matter?

Will depend on the inspector a bit but if it just has small holes in the exterior panels, probably not 

21 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

hi i have brought some 2" drop spindles off a guy for my 1980 L300 van, they have come with a ndt test sheet. can i get a cert with these? or do they have to be a certain brand etc? think they are from the usa. would like to know before installing them, cheers.

2.2 (36) in here covers the requirements 

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Suspension_Systems.pdf

Basically if it's a known brand with a separate press in pin, then they are usually ok

• Like 1

Is there a minimum requirement for clearance between the inside of a wheel rim and the brake calipers? Tried the stock wheels on the VL tonight and there's only a mm or two between them. Slightly concerned the Royale wheels may be a different design internally to the Calais wheels which clear 290mm brakes

16 hours ago, chasinthemirage said:

Is there a minimum requirement for clearance between the inside of a wheel rim and the brake calipers? Tried the stock wheels on the VL tonight and there's only a mm or two between them. Slightly concerned the Royale wheels may be a different design internally to the Calais wheels which clear 290mm brakes

Mine are really close, same sort of clearance 1-2mm. IIRC I tickled the corner edge of the caliper with a grinder so they wouldn't rub. 

There isn't a minimum amount of clearance, just can't ever touch.

Surprising sometimes how much flex/ movement / growth there is under hard use on some vehicles. I did a cortina once that had enough disc- caliper clearance when cold but after a few hard stops the brake disc grew enough to rub the inside of the caliper

• Like 6

If it's standard then should be pretty straight forward 

You could try doing the brake test and see how that goes before you take it for cert- 3x 100 to 0 stops, 4.4 sec max,- in a total of 2 minutes. 

I wouldn't think it needs driveshaft loops either if it's just a larger engine that isn't turbo or supercharged 

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_07-2016_Drive-shaft_Safety-loop_Requirements.pdf

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cletus said:

I wouldn't think it needs driveshaft loops either if it's just a larger engine that isn't turbo or supercharged 

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_07-2016_Drive-shaft_Safety-loop_Requirements.pdf

I was under that impression too but Steve Rhodes said it's a good idea to put them on as the new engine is straining the driveshaft more. 

19 hours ago, cletus said:

If it's standard then should be pretty straight forward 

You could try doing the brake test and see how that goes before you take it for cert- 3x 100 to 0 stops, 4.4 sec max,- in a total of 2 minutes. 

The brakes will be good for it no doubt.  

2jz passed no stress. 

• Like 1