For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello guys,

I have been waiting to hear back from our Certifier regarding fitting a powersteering pump inside the car in our Carina, as there is no room inside the engine bay.
However its been over a week and heard nothing.

I have scoured the Hobby Car Manual and the LVVTA documentation and cannot find anything about hydraulic pumps inside the cabin.

I want to know if we can do it? Does it need to be boxed up? If the lines run down beside the trans tunnel inside the cabin, do we have to cover them? What distance do the P Clips need to be etc. Our certifier is a stickler for the rules (he has made us change the factory driveshaft coupling bolts as not enough thread stick out of the nut...)

Now if you can list a page number in the Hobby Car Manual or LVVTA docs with this info in it I Am happy to read up on it myself.

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 19:57, Transom said:

Mazda v6 200kg odd 150 horses and torques if lucky 

maybe able to sneak another bolt into the plates onto engine for 4 each side - going into mx5 so gearbox mounts to ppf/diff 

IMG_2349.jpg

One thing with the mx5 PPF is that they are VERY floppy compared to a conventional gearbox mount to soak up the torque. this can lead to a mis-shift into 5th instead of 3rd. On my 4g63t mx5 I have opted to ditch the PPF and make a conventional grarbox and diff mount. otherwise you are relying on the torsional strength of a piece of channel with a bunch of holes cut in it. I'm not suggesting it will break or fail, but I am suggesting it will be a bit shit from a performance / driveline slop /feel perspective.

• Like 1

Yep roger that I am going for quite firm engine mounts compared to stock floppy version and replacin all the rear diff carrier bushes -  have seen many of these done with mounts that would not pass nz cert and heard no issues 

will keep an eye on it for sure 

Do you have to submit drawings for rear suspension? I got my triangulated design certified without all that a couple of years ago. I mostly just built it how it would fit under the car after a bit of googling.

Cert man never asked any questions about design.

Not much about it in the book, just the material specifications, and that there shouldn't be excessive pinion rotation. The notes suggest 150 mm vertical spacing at the diff end, and 125mm vertical spacing at the front end. Also that the angled rods will be sufficient for transverse location - study production car systems for this. 

I haven't looked on the lvvta website to see if there is anything in the notes there. If you are worried then get in touch with Justin at LVVTA or ask on their forum.

On 30 June 2017 at 19:55, NicT said:

No idea on Powersteering pump in a car? Rules on dry sump setup in the cabin? Yay, nay?

Sorry for some reason I thought this was answered

there is no rule for what you are wanting to do in the book probably because it's not very common, nothing to say it can't be done, but I would follow the rules in

www.motorsport.org.nz

schedule a

cheers

• Like 2

Thanks Cletus, I was just about to write the below answer!

I answered my own question if anyone wants to know.

If you want to fit a powersteering pump into the cabin of your car, the LVVTA cert refers to the Hobby Car Manual, Hobby Car Manual refers to theh New Zealand Motorsport manual schedule A 'safety of vehicles'

In it under 4.12 'Fuel Tanks, Fillers, Lifters and pumps' there is reference to 'swirl pots and scavenger pumps'

"(a) All fuel tanks (including swirl pots and filters), fillers and pumps shall be isolated from the cockpit by a flameproof bulkhead or compartment"

• Like 1

On 5 July 2017 at 20:25, tehnzbrad said:

Doing a triangualted 4 link in the back of a sbc ln106, just doing drawings and stuff to submit to lvvta, do they have a threshold for anti-squat percentages and roll axis angle etc or?

You can buy individual chapters of the CCM now if that's any help to you, and it's quite cheap. As nominal said , it doesn't get that technical though

45 minutes ago, SOHC said:

On a 1971 Triumph 2000 with the single circuit master cylinder would I need a cert if I fit the tandem master cylinder of the 2500?

Yes, as it's not excluded.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

If you do a tidy job, and let it get dirty, probably no-one would notice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tehnzbrad said:

Can anyone shed some light on what the welding test consists of etc for lvvta? I have not got my ticket and will be doing 80% of the welds on my build. Cheers

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_Info_Tech_Bulletin5-Builders_welding_guide.pdf

I don't know that this is applied to the letter in every case though. If you have a certifier in mind it would be best to check with them first.

On 7/9/2017 at 22:15, cletus said:

Technically yes

But I doubt anyone would know the difference apart from Threeonthetree 

And he doesn't do wofs

Allegedly...

/Will be doing the same upgrade on my Triumph Estate eventually. It's a 1974 Change-over year model too so not even a Barry will be able to confirm which braking system it should have.

• Like 5