For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VWs are allowed a 1 spline drop from oe, i checked with LVVTA a while back about that

otherwise, everyone is in the same boat- no more than half a degree over oe spec. even if positive camber was the original setting

Thanks mate!

Do Adjustable spring plates from a shop or adjustable front beams purchased as an assembly from a shop require crack testing?

Just to come back to this, i have padding from Cardwells that meets the 'soft' padding specification (non-flammable, clpsed cell foam, 15mm thickness). Is there any proof needed for this kind to be passed or can a certifier tell by looking at it?

Is it the alterKation stuff?

And is that for your mates gen 2 dodge?

I know not much about such things. but I was talaking to a local guy who said he looked at off the shelf fabricated upper control arms for mopar A body, and the tube utilised wasn't heavy enough for the weight of the car under the HCTM. (or somesuch)

Reilly motorsports, he reckons they've done over 2000 cars. I kinda watched a YouTube video showing them fitting a kit and didn't like a couple of things. It's hard with the Americans I think, they don't seem to have any regulations and the sheer number of them means heaps of cowboys.

This guy has provided all the specs of each part and seemed to have some knowledge of nz's laws, modifying steering and suspension is a big modification so I would want to know I'm fitting good quality legal stuff. Also I'd like facts so as not to have to bother the certifier with every query.

not easily. welding steering parts is generally a no-no

what brand of stuff are you looking at?

I thought that, it says steering arms are 1/2 inch thick laser cut mild steel with cnc machined spacer welded to forged steel spindles.

Is it the alterKation stuff?

And is that for your mates gen 2 dodge?

I know not much about such things. but I was talaking to a local guy who said he looked at off the shelf fabricated upper control arms for mopar A body, and the tube utilised wasn't heavy enough for the weight of the car under the HCTM. (or somesuch)

Good info I'll need a copy. Yeah 69 general lee replica, these planned changes are a for later after its legal.

Just to come back to this, i have padding from Cardwells that meets the 'soft' padding specification (non-flammable, clpsed cell foam, 15mm thickness). Is there any proof needed for this kind to be passed or can a certifier tell by looking at it?

keep the reciept so you can show the certifier

Highly unlikely that you will get anything welded to a forged spindle certed. It doesn't really matter that they use laser cutting and cnc machining - no better to the cert man than cut with a hacksaw or machined on an old clunker lather.

this.

there is the possibility of doing things outside the manual (welding to a casting/forging, welding a steering component) via getting it approved by the TAC.

but- you would have to have some very good reasons/no other options to do it, and proof that it could be done properly. the fact that it ticks two of the 'dont ever do this' boxes i highly doubt they would approve it

• Like 1