Anglia4's CB650

anglia4

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Todays progress although it was only minor, feels like a fucking roaring success.

Got a present in the mail today in the form of a bare bones push pull throttle assembly :o

Bought it off ebay, wasn't quite sure what mods it would need to fit but turns out its a direct replacement for old honda's! Hopefully grant has the same luck when he goes to put his on the NV750.

DSCF5989.jpg

What this allows me to do is say "Fuck off" to this massive piece of shit and all its wiring:

DSCF5992.jpg

Letting me move the master cylinder further out so I can tilt the bars down to where i want them. Stoked.

DSCF5990.jpg

Current state of the bike:

DSCF5993.jpg

Also, drew these up last week and am going to see about getting them laser or water cut.

laser.jpg

The two bits on the left are two aluminium parts to replace the one plastic one as the fuse box/handlebar clamp cover. The 4 holes nearer the inside are for some of these guys as idiot lights

product_4451.jpg

The bit on the right is aluminium and is to mount just the original speedo without the tacho low, close to the clamp and in the center front of the bike. Should look sawheeeeet 8)

EDIT: the bit on the right is actually steel. Dunno what I was thinking when I wrote that ^

So my bike used to have this big ugly thing:

DSCF6005.jpg

But today this arrived in the mail:

DSCF6006.jpg

DSCF6007.jpg

But then I did this to it:

DSCF6009.jpg

:(

The mark-up must have been high because I paid something like $6 for it from china and I don't quite think it was $6 worth of chinese quality. Nevertheless, now I have this:

DSCF6010.jpg

Which is some pretty reasonable looking switches and a decent layout to work from. I'll cad something up at some stage to give the water jet man some more work :D Then I will have a sweet sweet aluminium one.

Maaaaaaann... It's awesome to see you making so much progress bro, but you're making me anxious about my own project. That new throttle assembly is realy slick and all that work you're putting into the dash should pay off big time.

When do you plan to start painting...? Keep it up man.

Is it bad manners to post 'inspiration' on someone elses build thread?

Yeah man, the idea of flipping the mount has crossed my mind. At this stage I'm going to leave as is. Since all this other wiring is fucking off, its making the head light bezel look worse and worse, so a new headlight is moving further and further up the list of things to do. Once I have a new one I don't think it will look so silly with the mount up the way it is, will see anyway, the way I have designed it, its not a fork off job to flip so thats pretty choice.

I was speaking to a painter man tonight at bike night, will probably start painting it after the uni holidays once I have finished the metal work on the tail and side covers.

Steve I don't mind if you post some inspiration on my thread! I don't think most people mind the occasional good idea pic, just don't spam up their threads too much! But as far as my thread goes, go for gold :lol:

But, in saying that, this thread is a choice place for inspirational pics (I keep up to date with it) viewtopic.php?f=52&t=22724

EDIT: We missed you tonight gal! Thought you might bring your lady along to bike night :D its such a romantic place :lol:

Fixed it!

switchblock.jpg

At least on my computer so far anyway.

Will be 3 pieces cut from 10mm alloy and 2 pieces cut from 1.5 on the water jet machine. I will have to drill one hole and drill and tap another. Job done. (plus re-soldering the wires)

switchblockexplodedview.jpg

I'll use nice stainless cap screws and dome headed nuts to keep it looking sweet.

EDIT: Epoxy glue will also help keep the corners down and the indicator switch in place.

That graphic is really impressive, you've got skills man. It looks like a lot of work though just to mount some switches? You might have been better off just splashing out on a full set of more modern controls. I hope all that front end work is leading to a new master cylinder as well, the one on it is like an olympic pool.

CB400fcafe1977.jpg

This was the inspiration I had in mind, it's not quite what you're doing but I thought you might like the tank? The exhaust is awesome too.

Nah man its hardly any work.

The water jet machine will buzz out all those shapes in about 2 minutes. Then all I have to do is drill the two holes in the part that clamps to the bars (cos they are in the wrong plane for the water jet machine to get at) and bolt it together.

It is quite intricate parts to cut though, with a few piercings so I'm worried that it might be quite expensive to get cut. Will see what happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit more progress tonight.

I started by cutting a big long strip and then folding 10mm over along one edge. Then wrapped it around the rear of the seat.

IMG223.jpg

IMG224.jpg

Then had a much around with the tin snips and it pretty much fell into place. I'm thinking I will just overlay the edges like this to make it easier to weld with my poor set-up. Still alot of shaping to go to get it to where I'm happy but thats what hammers and filler are for :lol:

IMG225.jpg

IMG226.jpg

IMG229.jpg

IMG230.jpg

Pretty happy with how its going so far though!