KPies 1974 Holden Belmont Discussion

The later model commodore electronic distributors fit in nicely put one into my tonner, only issue is the vac advance mechanism on mine isn't advancing so if your points dizzy is in good condition I'd leave it imo. And barries want way too much money for them 

All the old barries say headers and exhausts / electronic dizzy makes them quicker but the tonner did exactly the same 1/4 mile after headers /exhaust/electronic dizzy so it's probably just barry crap. 

Edit: if you change the timing gears may as well do the cam while you are in there...

https://www.aucklandcams.co.nz/camlist/holden-149-202/

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, chris r said:

how you/brother/dad/uncle/cousin/mate used to have one

Had had a nice hq wagon then wrote it off on the motorway 

- why my mrs is now tougher and cooler than me

Your both a catch xo

- why big Australian cars with a mix of metric and imperial fasteners are better than silly little European ones that only use metric ( i had to dig out my very limited and mismatched Imperial sockets and wrenches that had been banished to the back of bottom draw of the tool box and put them right in the top bit :( )

Adjustable spanner doesn't care about metric or imperial 

- where to get new parts easily/cheaply/locally

Ebay has been pretty good for stuff if you are patient 

- why the second hand stuff on FBMP is outrageously priced and clearly owned by meth head bogans and how to avoid them 

- tips and tricks for hotting up your 173 using OEM + parts (commie inlet and exhaust manifolds? - the single stromberg and right angled log exhaust manifold offends me!))

Nah m8 get a set of flows and str8frew exhaust and it'll go like a cut cat that's had three of its legs cut off 

- can you bolt a 202 to the Torana 4 speed?

Probably 

- where to find a nice 202. 

- why do i even want a 202 (re-rego mainly), the 173 is probably perfectly fine, KPie doesnt really care (unless its a v8), and it wont be the engine from the Torana any more, 

They are all bags of hammers 

- where the fuck is the fill port for the CNG system on this car? (its not behind the number plate with the petrol filler) 

First to answer the questions. All 6 cylinder Holden motors share the same bell housing pattern, so swapping the 173 for a 202 of any vintage is a bolt in.

The CNG fill port is under the bonnet as part of the pipe work. I had an HJ ex taxi on CNG and my grand father had his Austin Princess converted back in the day. The all filled under the bonnet, LPG had the remote filler.

My first Holden was HQ sedan, 202 and factory Tbar auto and bucket seats. Pretty flash in the day. That got a 253 swapped in one weekend when the 202 and auto got worn out.

Also had HQ ute, 308 and auto, would run mid 14s down the strip, HJ ex taxi, HX wagon, HZ sedan. Awesome vehicles, wish I still had the last HZ.

My step father had a HQ wagon that got a celica 5 speed. I also put power steering in it. Good car to drive.

Power steering is possibly one of the best upgrades to make them nice to drive.

• Like 3

the best barry bullshit yarn i ever got was from someone that claimed their 186 powered land rover was capable of dropping it into 3rd gear on the motorway and spinning the tyres and beating xxx type of cars at the lights etc etc

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

My other old Holden story is my (step) Uncle Gary is into them, and still has a pile of them (in northland)

Me and my step bro learned to drive a rusty/mostly fibreglass HR? Ute that he must have given his brother (my step dad/old man) to use in the 5 acre paddock we had out the back of the house. It was good for chucking old farm crap (rubbish, fence posts, thistle, boxthorn etc) into to take to the bonfire pile and doing donuts in the paddock that couldnt be seen from the house.

The problem was, that the donuts left marks in the grass that could be seen by the old man when he went on his walks around the place, so then we couldnt do that any more.

I remember getting it stuck once and not being able to rock it out of the hole it had dug (i was like 12, the only thing i new which was giving it more jandal wasn't working - what to do???) and Gary saying, ill show ya, jumping in and rowing the column change and heavy clutch between 1st and reverse like a drift car driver, SKILLZ!

From what i can recall the ute disappeared when we had tidied up most of the paddock and built some fences, Uncle Gary probably grabbed it back, and probably still has it.

Less classic Holden yarns

The old man also had a series of new two tone (maroon upper, silver lower) V8 Calais, i think VS, VSII and then maybe a VT, before changing tack to a V8 Cherokee (in the same colour) - i think he said the Holden salesman gave him some side eye or tried to stiff him on the trade in or something, and after buying 3 new top spec cars in 5ish years told them to shove it and must have gone to the Jeep place instead.

The VS was the best one (IMO 12yo opinion) still love those flat rear arches.

Mum also had a first gen Opel Vectra GT at the same time, that was pretty quick too (when the old man drove it!) and had a great sporty exhaust note

The 90s were a good time.

• Like 3

Old man had a Kingswood wagon when I was 7 or 8. He swapped a Chevy big block in, not sure exactly what size but it was rowdy.

I remember when he sold it, guy who bought it was in a wheelchair, had no legs, tried to pay in weed. So yeah the 90s were interesting

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My old ute sat decomposing in the back yard, and the dodgy neighbour asked if he could work on it to pass the time. He was just out of jail and not working.

I said sure, then a month later he was back in jail and ute was missing. Never reported it cos was worth fuck all then (late 90s).

Wonder if it's too late to ask the coppers if it's still alive... :grin:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Lush, our hx prem (was Mrs' uncles) is also from fielding, had the floods go through it in the mid-late noughties then we picked it up in 2009 and its followed us around waiting for love since. Yours appears in much better knick, hoping your progress motivates mine

• Like 1