Kimjon's next money pit - BMW Airhead cafe racer build

Kimjon

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Transom said:

Here’s a mates old one for inspiration Ducati style fairing and his own handmade solo seat 

606C3C83-6823-4A97-B893-67BC6F3AB235.jpeg

Pretty cool. Im more into this style

download.jpeg-5.jpg.23f8e299ac91e1b99d82913c1a59daa7.jpg

images.jpeg-45.jpg.6947cd6b64a6207b9b34bc03d284ebd8.jpg

But I want really short exhausts ending flush with rear of motor. I'm going to try to work with what I've got already and not just throw $50k at it to solve problems, however I already know these projects aren't cheap. It's 90% about getting the proportions right, which for me makes or brakes any bike regardless of how much the build cost was. 

Walzwerks (Marcus Walz) in Germany is a huge inspiration of mine for both Harleys and BMW's.

https://www.walzwerk-motorcycles.de/schizzo-1/prices/schizzo-scrambler/

I'll be drawing on his ideas a lot for my build.

• Like 4

Got it home, immediately removed the crashbars and rear fender, zip tied number plate and a few other little loose items and already looks 100% better.

Screenshot_20230508_062650_Gallery.thumb.jpg.62199ecdbbe4b9eadc419da00aed5a56.jpg

Long-term plans:

Lower it by 120mm

Paint lots of stuff black

Fix exhausts 

Battery box relocation 

Tidy up headlight area

cut shitloads of superfluous brackets off the frame

Figure out footpeg placement, as for me its unworkable right now, thr cylinder heads get in the way.

Sort out the seat. Luckily its a bolt on item, so i don't need to weld anything to the frame etc.

Etc, etc, etc....

• Like 7

Its funny BMWs only make max power with the stock liuftmaster mufflers, can do any mods to the engine like supercharge etc but every exhaust system under the sun wont preform as well as the stock system lol.

Wile you can slip the gearbox back and lube the clutch splines and check the flywheel bolts.

Thats the only photo I have with my BMW

Screenshot_20230511-222400_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, really appreciated.

Unfortunately I brought mine as is, so working with what I've got. Hard to know what the baseline is/was as I never started at that point, however its running a little rough for sure.

The exhausts on it now aren't even clamped to the headers. They're a size to big, ie the header is loosely sitting inside the exhausts with 2mm of clearance around the pipe...lol. 

I visually set the carbs, by getting approximately 1mm of throttle cable play in each slide. Its now a lot smoother than it was. So I ordered a set of vacuum guages to try balance the carbs better than they are now.

Screenshot_20230511_200926_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.c26b72da645f3ec32f9c88774263b32e.jpg

All that said...fuck yeah, this thing is fun!! Its not modern bike fast, but torque like a tractor and certainly enough power to be interesting.

• Like 3

its just not getting old for me. So good. Im in love with this bike, its kinda the best/worst of everything, like a buell but not as fast, has the charm of an old carburetor harley, so much fun to ride like a vespa, seating position like a dirt bike, just such a unique bike full of character, its got what makes a bike fun to ride...the X-factor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Screenshot_20230513_201251_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.cd87981069ac50ddeaa1c1eb52012f7d.jpg

Ordered two of these. Plan is to shorten the headers and get these sitting underneath closer to the end of the frame.

The current exhausts are deafening. So stupidly loud if offensive to my ears, and undoubtedly everyone else's too.

• Like 1

nice, love me a BMW, i built one (build thread on here somewhere) acouple of years ago, i cut the brake light switch bracket off completely to tidy the frame up and mounted it on the frame in the peg mount so the brake pedal pulled it down, you'll find most good looking exhausts on these are silly loud, just wear ear plugs is the best solution. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mitch.W said:

nice, love me a BMW, i built one (build thread on here somewhere) acouple of years ago, i cut the brake light switch bracket off completely to tidy the frame up and mounted it on the frame in the peg mount so the brake pedal pulled it down, you'll find most good looking exhausts on these are silly loud, just wear ear plugs is the best solution. 

Do you have a link to your build? I halfarse tried searching under your name but nothing obvious popped up.