Cheap Datsun power mods

Taistorm

Hey everyone.  Been a bit dormant on here since shifting to Aus but looking to pick up a new project in the coming weeks and seeking a bit of advice from Datsun and Turbo gurus.

Looking to pick up a 1979 b310 Datsun Sedan running an a12 and 3 speed auto. The car itself is relatively tidy with minimal rust, had an average paint job years ago and Barry (the old boy who owned it) gave the engine a top end rebuild and replaced most of the ignition bits. Goes pretty well but slow as shit. I've been reading up online and going down the rabbit hole and have been thinking of doing a cheap efi turbo build for a bit better power and hopefully line up bits to manual convert it. Looks like the stock a12 can handle around 120hp pretty comfortably running a bit of boost.

However I've also seen a non reg 1979 Stanza (same as the b310 but different spec) come up for a couple grand which has the L16 engine with a 4 speed manual behind it and I'm pretty sure most of the suspension and steering components are a bit beefier and possibly stronger diff and everything is more or less a straight swap. These look to be around 96ish bhp at 113kg as opposed to the 69bhp on the a12 weighing 87kg and would be a bit more torquey.

Is there any preference from you guys and whether the A series would be fit enough for a weekend warrior or should I shell out and grab the parts car and swap over the engine and other bits and use that as a base to start with? I'd still want to carry out a basic turbo build but unsure if the l16 is as susceptible to boost (not looking for big numbers or anything  if I can achieve around 150bhp without opening up the heart that would be awesome but the L16 in the Stanza is a bit of gamble so i may need to give it a refresh anyway). I'll be attempting to fab up my own manifolds and run a megasquirt or cheap haltech or lower end link to manage the system. Will do some more research into the likes of turbo sizing and such but just getting some ideas on what direction to head in at this stage.

I figured as well that I can cruise with the a12 while I mock up and build the setup on the stanza, then when I'm ready crash out the swap.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Chur

• Like 2

Im running a tickled up a15 in my 1200 Coupe, makes 130hp at the wheels on a local dyno, not calibrated well, but it drives great, plenty of power everywhere.  Ive had many turbo cars, and the desire for more power (especially after old school drags).  Ive looked at a few options, turbo a series is prob the smartest option, but non crossflow i feel they are messy looking under bonnet when turbo.  Other option i was considering, and might grab a donor engine to play with one day, is a GA16de engine, but there isnt much support for modifying now.  SR engine is fine, but you need to use a Silvia box, and that means tunnel mods, and they are actually quite a heavy engine and gearbox combo,  not to mention silvia tax now prices have gone silly. 

SImple option, go for the a12 turbo if you have the skills, prob best bang for buck, but will need a 5 speed box and ute h165 rear axle to handle the extra torque, h145 cant really even handle an a15 well.

• Like 3

That's pretty awesome bro, reminds of my mates old 1200 coupe which had a similar setup. He ended up switching to efi and running itbs! Initially wanted to try go for an a15 swap but it looks like they're alot harder to get now than when I was last over here. Even the 5 speeds for a series are as rare as hens teeth (there was a local company over east that produced toyota t50 conversion  kits as they were easier to get a hold of but even those are costly now). The main reason why I'm considering the parts car is that it had all the bits to manual convert (albeit the trans and hydro clutch setup to suit the L series engine box) and also has the h165 diff and spares to suit with extra displacement. 

Not really interested in going SR or CA route as it would take far more effort and time (which I don't have with a toddler running around haha) but definitely set on doing a turbo build for fun, not too concerned on how messy it can look. Will probably end up just running log manifolds and a J pipe for ease and see how we go.

Must be getting to be almost 20 years too late to be screwing around with these old things cost effectively for making power (reliability will also need to be a part of the cost effectiveness calculation).

Best off either keeping it standard (with manual conversion) or throwing a K11 micra engine in and keeping a few of them spare. Would probably only really need to make a bellhousing adapter and engine mounts.

• Like 1

I'd go A series turbo, and spend the $ you were going to spend on the Stanza parts car on tune up parts. Stanza stuff does fit but there are some minor differences between bodyshells. The L16 is a stout engine and 150hp turbo is childs play for one, however 150hp from an A series is also childs play. A series is definitely more in character with a Sunny, Ls can be a bit slouchy to get humming along nicely unless they are worked properly. Ask @RUNAMUCK about that. 

I have a 310 manual pedal box here if you want one to convert. Actually a 56a as well. 56a and H150 will probably take 150hp if you are nice to it and don't run big tyres / launches. 

Do yourself a favour and use an A15. They aren't too hard to find in C20/C22 Vanettes still. Keep an eye on Pickapart. Should be able to get one for around $500. 

EDIT.. just noticed you are in Aus. Ignore the NZ spec comments

• Like 1

I always wanted to build an A12 drawthrough turbo. A 1 3/4 SU off a 2.5 trumpet would be around the right size. (5hey were a $30 carb a few years ago) 

Simple J pipe off the stock manifold to the turbo. Dont get too greedy on the boost stakes.

All the Information that has ever been written on these engines can be found at datsun1200.com  

I wouldnt piss about with an AMR, they're just too small.

• Like 1

I have a blow thru turbo A15 setup in mine. Goes really well for what it is. Will be going efi some stage though. I think the single point injection setup above would be the best way to doing it on a budget. Ive seen an old falcons single point injection unit used too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lownslow said:

I have a blow thru turbo A15 setup in mine. Goes really well for what it is. Will be going efi some stage though. I think the single point injection setup above would be the best way to doing it on a budget. Ive seen an old falcons single point injection unit used too.

any pics etc on the setup?

On 30/03/2023 at 18:54, lownslow said:

I actually forgot.you were on here Mikey. Sure an efi upgrade for you would consist of swapping to aliexpress DLHA style ITBs?  Bolt straight Into your existing  set up. 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2023 at 10:30, RUNAMUCK said:

I actually forgot.you were on here Mikey. Sure an efi upgrade for you would consist of swapping to aliexpress DLHA style ITBs?  Bolt straight Into your existing  set up. 

Still hanging around :)

Yea that would be the way I'd go, or there's an outfit here in Aus that do nice setups as well, called "EFI Hardware". 

• Like 1

On 23/03/2023 at 19:19, Taistorm said:

Is there any preference from you guys and whether the A series would be fit enough for a weekend warrior

Just listen to this little beastie. These little things can scream and sound glorious :x

• Like 1

Wow thats fantastic.  I want more A Series powaa!!!

Problem is, im looking at at least 6 to 8k in parts to make an A series make the power I want.  

Compression, 12:1, valve springs, roller rockers, maybe a bigger cam, ported and flow tested head, custom headers (coby is only easily avail option atm)

Have to start to wonder if a Zetec crate engine is a more viable option.  Fraser cars dont really use 2nd hand engines anymore, 3sge and 4age are so old, they use brand new zetec crate motors and gearboxes to suit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, fully forgot about this and didn't end up buying the datsun.

Cheers for all the info and pics/vids though. A series definitely can be little weapons! Have picked up a 76 Galant wagon anyway so have thrown up a build thread.

Cheers 

• Like 1